Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was significantly better than I had expected! That was extremely entertaining.

Edward IV posted:

My Mandarin is quite rusty (and has a Nanjing accent) but Kong's Mandarin sounds legit which, being that I'm Chinese, is really cool. It's also good that Kong has more depth than a walking stereotype. (Not that I'm accusing Yuasa of having done anything like that but I'm always hesitant when an anime has foreign characters.)

Makes me wish China or Taiwan has more easily accessible media with good story telling and style here in the US. I'm very afraid that my Chinese fluency will eventually become the same as my fluency in Japanese which has derived exclusively through anime.

The golden age of classic HK movies is long long over :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
God drat I love the sound engineering, the delivery of all the lines, and the sounds. Loved the rhythm behind the bouncing balls.

Also, just why did Tsukimoto go and let Kong win? Sympathy for Kong's career? Is the guy basically out of the running?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Smile and did exactly what he said he wouldn't do: throw the game for the sake of his opponent. God drat it dude.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Peco you idiot how long did it take for you to realise he was trying to tire you out?

I hope all the losers get to hang out, I don't want Wenge to up and leave.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ViggyNash posted:

That novelty slowly going away now that he's begun learning Japanese. I find he's mostly interesting for his life story so far. Hell, the show could just be about Wenge it'd probably be decent. On the other hand, Smile doesn't have much of a story, but has a very interesting and unique personality.

That's not "learning japanese", that's just jokingly repeating a few well known phrases as a friendly goodbye.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Argh I'm gonna have to make some dumplings next time I go home.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kong is Plane, not Dragon.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
AOTFY

See, strictly speaking, not much happened this episode. But it was so well done and the emotions and tensions and pacing behind it were so solid that in the end, I was rooting for both of them at the end. Dragon is finally happy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
These kinds of stories love to parallel current and past situations, but not the outcome. Peco and the Poseidon CEO appear to be fundamentally different people, I really don't think Peco would let Smile do anything but play his best hosed up knee or no hosed up knee.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Don't complain this has nine pages, thats plenty even for a headliner show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You're assuming that Peco wasn't also deeply grateful to Smile for pushing his boundaries. Peco has no choice but to face his demons and live up to his opinions of himself and the opinions his best friend has of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The OST is out, and it makes me incredibly happy.

• Locked thread