Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Granted I don't have much other reference for fiction about teenagers competing in solitary sports on an international level, but the inner struggles the characters are saddled with reminds me a lot of Infinite Jest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

omg the pacing of this episode was transcendant. Not bothering with the technicalities of ostensibly the most important match in the series and insisting upon the human element was impressive, even within the precedent of the past 10 episodes.
Being so insistent on the "blood tastes like iron" foreshadowing was a really interesting stylistic decision. I think we're supposed to see it as a small earworm that distracted Smile from playing a purely ruthless, robotic match against Smile. Once Smile catches sight of his own blood and reconciles his robot/human duality, he becomes visibly more at comfort with himself, both in the match and the epilogue. Him choosing to work with children professionally and as a hobby was really revealing; he's the type of person who really needs the optimism of youth to keep him from getting lost in the cold, technical world that this anime itself is all about transcending.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

glomkettle posted:

That's exactly how I felt about Tatami Galaxy. I'm in the middle of watching Kemonozume right now (just started, really), and as far as I know all I have left of his to watch after that is Mind Game and his short in Genius Party. I'll be pretty sad when there's nothing left of his to watch. :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggc3nZYO2u4?t=38m56s

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 2, 2014

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

aers posted:

http://vimeo.com/102103466

Short behind-the-scenes making of Ping Pong animation.
Watched it three times and I'm still not entirely sure how it all works. :psyduck:

• Locked thread