Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The episode wasn't very eventful. I'm assuming there's going to be more to the story than a douchey guy who isn't as good as he thinks he is and a goony guy who is a lot better than he seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I think the art is fine overall but it's not like there aren't any problems with it. It's hastily drawn, and there's nothing really special about the style. People also have a bit of a fish eye thing going on as a result of trying to draw realistic eyes in a very simplified manner. The art just looks like it was an afterthought to the story, and not something the artist obsessed over.

The animation is good though and I assume that's the part that comes from Yuasa.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Get a load of this guy. It takes a lot of skill to look this unpolished and still communicate so much emotion.
Skill and effort aren't the same thing though. And even if he redrew everything a hundred times to get it right there's no way to tell, and it still looks like not much effort was put into it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Zorak posted:

All anime needs to look uguu sugoi as hell, otherwise its lazy and

This is using the original manga's style. Yuasa uses a similar style on occasion. It allows / enables pretty fluid "meaty" animation
I haven't seen the manga but I agree it allows for good animation. The roughness makes it seem more smooth and less stiff.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
That was much better than the first episode. The main characters actually feel interesting now.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
How long is the manga? Is 11 episodes enough to cover everything?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
That seems remarkably fitting. I hope the episode nails the humor though.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I had my doubts after the kinda dull first episode, but this show is really good. The audio, the visuals, the writing, it's all good. It doesn't seem that popular though, which is disappointing.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I feel there's a lot more to it than that below the surface. Smile has more problems than just not taking ping pong seriously, and that's probably true of the other characters.

I hope the show delves deeper into his friendship with Peco. It seems like Smile admired Peco in the past, picking up ping pong because of him. They have probably been practicing together for a long time, and somewhere along the line Smile became better, but he never showed it. The reason he has been holding back, among other things, might be because of his friendship with Peco and reluctance to top him. It's even possible that practicing with Smile, who lets him win, might have been a contributing factor to Peco's stagnation and lack of perseverance.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

This is the ugliest, most beautiful show.

With only 5 episodes left I hope they nail the ending. I never thought I would like a sports anime more than Chihayafuru but, unless they gently caress up, this is it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

laplace posted:

The scary thing is that all of Yuasa's art is extremely technically good. Compare this to Angel Beats or Clannad, which has incredibly inconsistent anatomy and character design that borders on almost offensively gender dimorphic non-humanoids. People eat that instagram filtered garbage up for some reason and yet Yuasa's art is "bad".
Calling generic art "instagram filtered" is the most hipster thing I've read in a while. What do you mean by "technically good" anyway?

Callick posted:

First, that's exactly what I was saying. You're reinforcing my point. People like boring, dull cookie-cutter poo poo because they are dull, boring cookie-cutter people with low level taste that doesn't extend beyond a basic appreciation for something looking like regular anime. Second, I think Aku no Hana's anime had excellent art. It was extremely consistent, conveyed emotion and poignancy very well, and was hugely pleasing to my aesthetic sense. Really, I think it discredits both Yuasa's body of work and the team that produced the AnH anime to not think of them as bold contemporaries in the world of unique, artistic anime production that pushes boundaries and challenges what the common person's perception of what "anime" actually is. I think it is the exact same issue.
Just because Ping Pong also has an art style that is different doesn't mean it has anything in common with Flowers of Evil. I'll take stick figures over rotoscoping.

I wish there was more different looking animation too. It bothers me that that the biggest forces in animation, Disney and Pixar, also make the most generic looking stuff. But just because most people prefer refinement over innovation doesn't make them subhuman you gigantic loving baby.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

laplace posted:

Yuasa's art and his team's art have a very strong sense of consistency and direction. While it is easy to tell when scenes or episodes are animated by different people in Yuasa anime, the art itself and its construction still maintains itself. Also, Yuasa has a very strong grasp for actual scene placement and cinematography, which most anime art does not. You can be not into its aesthetics it from a personal standpoint all you want but pretty much all Yuasa anime has been super well produced consistent fundamental-focused stuff. Yuasa characters have defined shapes and bodies, with an actual focus on their anatomy and how their bodies would work even under stylization. I'm not singling out Angel Beats for being generic, I'm singling it out for being a very popular show that has really confused art direction in that regard, where the characters anatomies aren't even consistent between character to character.

Also, when I say Angel Beats is Instagram Filtered I actually mean that the show has a post processed filter over it. I am not being a hipster, it is just a fact that the show actually has a red to green filter over it that is extremely visible throughout the show.
I haven't seen Angel Beats but the filter thing sounds terrible. Though having seen Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong I don't see how Yuasa's stuff is more consistent or "technically" well made than what Kyoto Animation does. I'd say both those shows have way more conventual and realistic art styles though, and less of the Japanese stylization of which Clannad is pretty much the most extreme example.

On the subjective stuff I agree with you since I think Ping Pong is the most well directed anime I've ever seen.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I love this show but I don't know about the knee thing. It feels a bit forced. I worry about the ending.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I would be so pumped for the finale of this show if Breaking Bad hadn't taught me to manage my expectations. I hope it's pretty good and not generic.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
It was a pretty good ending. It was all in the execution, not the writing.

That too was all in the execution. The writing was just kinda bad.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

laplace posted:

Smile has always been about having fun, and reconciling that with how other people play. It is interesting that he managed to both become a better player and understand his opponents and respect them while at the same time understanding that if he had gone all the way he would have destroyed the theme that had come together over the course of the series. By ruthelessly beating Peco in the final match he would have gone back on everything constructed thus far. It's really great that Peco and Smile end up together because, naturally, Peco (The Hero) appears right when Smile is about to really lose himself.
Smile still tried to ruthlessly beat Peco though. He obviously had to, otherwise Peco's victory wouldn't have meant anything. But the ending to Smile's arc depended completely on Peco, not Smile. Because the other character's arcs are so heavily dependent on Peco being a near-mythical hero, heroism becomes the biggest theme of the series, even though it the one with the least substance. That's why I would have liked to see Smile win, because that would force the story to confront these issues.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

laplace posted:

But it's not like Peco is intrinsically the "hero", but rather whole "spirit of ping pong"/"Alien from planet ping pong". Peco fades in and out of this character (as we see over the course of his arc) but he always finds himself back in it when he is having fun, and when he is playing the game from a standpoint where he respects other players. Smile was the opposite, ruthlessly destroying everyone like a robot and becoming a machine that couldn't be overcome because that was Smile's way of dealing with things. It's not necessarily Smile's defeat as much as it is Peco saving Smile himself from the Robot he became -- Hence the actual visual metaphor of Smile breaking free, tumbling into a heap, and then emerging more powerful than ever once he, like all of the others, understood the reason why they began to play to begin with. It's not that Peco himself is just some depthless god hero, but rather that he tuned back into what made the game feel good and thus so did the others, who over the course of the show learned to understand their opponents. That's the thing -- As children, the characters played for fun. They played to their most, but for fun and enjoyment. At the start of the series, Peco is playing to Win and Smile is playing for Fun, but they've lost that connection that makes the game valuable to them. It's really thematic then that Peco's arc would involve returning to having fun, and then embodying that to the other characters who would be so close to falling over the ledge of "playing only to win" and "staking one's life on ping pong" that Peco had at the start of the series.

I would hardly say that the hero motif is one with little substance. It's entirely constructed and well backed up within the narrative of the show. Peco isn't near-mythical with no reason. We witnessed him get there through hard work and determination and it made sense that he would get to where he was. Having Smile beat him in the end would have just retreaded water -- We already know what happens when someone "plays to win" and gives up on enjoying themselves. Peco existed entirely to prevent that from happening, and that's why him going through that is important.

Also, Manga Spoilers, but It's heavily implied in the manga and the movie that Smile, while not "throwing the match", doesn't play the same way he had been because he knows how much it means to not only Peco, but himself and the others, that they play Ping Pong for the reasons that they originally had. I think Yuasa established this pretty hard with the children scene as well.
Well yes, that's what a hero is. An inspiration for people, an ideal. This show uses heroism in it's storytelling to the fullest extent. The hero embodies what the author thinks is the ideal mindset to the sport, and literally saves the other characters from themselves through sheer inspiration. It uses heroism in the storytelling really well but doesn't really say anything about heroism, which is what I meant when I wrote that the theme of heroism had the least "substance".

Heroism is a huge part of sport, but this show's use of it seems very idealistic, and I can't decide if it's admirable and inspirational or a bit naive and escapist. Still, like everything else in the show it's incredibly well done and Peco is an amazing hero whether there's a good reason for him to be or not.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

laplace posted:

I don't think things necessarily need to be meta or make grand overarching statements about things though, is all. Sure, It doesn't say much about heroism as a literary symbol but it doesn't need to because that would be sort of irrelevant and unconstructed? It'd be one thing if the show was about conflicts of heroism and what heroism *is* or what have you, but it isn't.

I get what you're saying now, I just don't know if that really applies as criticism because that's more an issue with the content than an active flaw in the writing.
I'm not talking metafiction though. Heroism and the parts of it's make-up are as much literary symbols as love is, and I think suddenly including a love triangle as a main plot point would be a significant flaw in the writing. Not that the show did anything resembling that, but I felt the relationship between Smile and Peco maybe could have been expanded upon a little more at the end. You get the sense through the whole series that Smile used to admire Peco so much in the past and the loss of that is crushing, and having Peco revert back and become a role model again is the easiest way that situation could resolve itself. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not exceptional in the writing department. But because of the exceptional execution, seeing Peco meet every past expectation still gives catharsis.

I absolutely did not mean there should have been be any vaguely related meta commentary nonsense. The concepts I'm talking about are all still part of the characters and their arcs. For example, I find it a bit weird for one of two close friends to idolize the other as much as Smile seemed to have done. Wouldn't that relationship be a bit one sided? Would it even be healthy? They don't really show what happens between Smile and Peco at the end, but I would have prefered an ending that showed them becoming more like equals. As a random example, I like how it turned out that Simon and Kamina both admired and inspired each other equally in Gurren Lagann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

laplace posted:

Gurren Lagann is not a good example of anime writing but that's sort of a strawman argument.
It is a good example of anime writing, it's just not an example of good anime writing.

laplace posted:

I know what you're saying isn't about metafiction, but I'm saying the literary function of a "hero motif" and "what makes a hero" as a theme are two different things and are not mutually exclusive. It's not poor writing to write about one of them and not the other. I would say it's worse to just throw extra unnecessary stuff into a plot than it is to focus on the elements that are important and supported.
Yes, you're right. But think about it in the opposite way. What would be lost if the hero motif was taken out altogether? I love the hero motif in this series because it's so well done, but to be honest I don't think it's nearly as important as many of the other elements.

laplace posted:

That being said: It's not just about Peco "reverting to the hero" nor is it that role the actual end-goal of the character's arcs. It's a function of Peco, sure, but the end release is getting back in touch with why they played Ping Pong in the first place and acknowledging eachother's reasons for that. Peco played Ping Pong originally because It made him feel good, and he could connect with his friends -- mainly Smile, through it. Smile played Ping Pong because he could connect with Peco through it, something that made him genuinely happy. So while Peco's heroism is a core aspect of his character and the overall arc and his relationship with Smile, the interaction isn't ABOUT heroism as much as it is about the function of that heroism in that relationship. You're missing the forest for the symbol trees there. That's not poor writing at all.
Are we really disagreeing here? You're saying I'm missing the forest for the symbol trees, I'm saying one of the symbol trees might be too big and is blocking the view without fully justifying it.

And again, I'm not saying it's bad writing. I'm just writing down my thoughts on the show because of how much I like it. I wouldn't like to call what I'm doing nitpicking, but it is about perfectionism. This would be my favorite TV series of all time if the writing was a bit sharper. Everything else is almost perfect.

I'll rewatch the series from the beginning and then I can form a better opinion of it. I'm gonna check out the movie first though.

• Locked thread