Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am incredibly hyped for this because everything Yuasa puts his touch on is gold, and I have no reason to doubt that this will be any different. Probably gonna be the best anime of the season, if not the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

I was gonna ask if this is based on the movie of the same name, but as far as I can tell from the trailer the answer is yes.

How are they expanding what's like a two hour movie into an entire series? Incidentally, you can rent the film on Netflix if you're interested.

The movie was based on a manga, actually. No idea how accurate the movie was to the source material tho but the manga did run for 5 volumes so that should be enough to fit a 12 episode run.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 22, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hey there's also Jojo!

At a distant third, mind you, but hey.

The season has a lot of rubbish but the worthwhile stuff is really worthwhile.

Hopefully the OP is finished next week, I assume it was just a placeholder here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I just looked through the banner ads; animewise, there's one each for Ping Pong, Jojo, Mushi-shi, and DBZ. :psyduck:

That DBZ ad is gold.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

New ep out!

Peco's match was a little dull (though that seemed to be the point) but boy did the Kazama/Kong match make up for it. This is what I wanted from Yuasa doing a sports anime, and boy did it deliever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Haha, it really took me awhile to notice that the tanned guy was Peco. Jesus, he really took losing hard :smith:

Also, Smile didn't show any mercy on Sakuma. Makes me wonder if over this timeskip he became less merciful, if he felt the stakes weren't enough to show mercy, or because of their past. Or heck, maybe a combination of the three!

Anyways, good episode like usual. Not as flashy as last week's but it had a bunch of nice character moments. I think Wenge is currently my favorite right now, really can't wait to see how his character progresses from now on.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I think Smile was in some way being merciful, when you take into account the way he has thought about people devoting their entire being into the game. Smile devotes time and energy, but he isn't putting his entire life and identity into it. Essentially by defeating Sakuma now and in such a brutal way, it is to spare him more long-term heartbreak. I think this was alluded to by the coach's descriptions of Sakuma. What may sound like an awfully devastating thing to say, to tell someone they have no talent, to Smile it doesn't mean as much because to him it only means not having talent in something that shouldn't be given that much import.

In short, I think Smile is still consistent with his characterization from earlier despite what might seem a harsher edge on the outset.

Ah yeah, that's a good point. I was mainly thinking of the stakes involved when comparing it to the Wenge match and not thinking of the other factors at play.

That's a good call and it makes me like Smile's character even more. He's just a really interesting protagonist, I've seen a fair amount of sports anime and I can't say I've ever seen anyone like him. And I love it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This show has done a spectacular job of flipping everyones characterization. Weird world where the non confrontational guy is the biggest douche right now and just about everyone else seems to be more down to earth and chilling

Also I want to see a match between old teacher guy and old ping pong studio owner.

In a weaker show that sort of reversal would feel really out of place and gimmicky, but thankfully the writing's so sharp and on point that you don't question it. It just feels like a completely natural direction for the cast.

Of course it helps that the cast is quite strong, everyone feels like an actual person instead of the usual sports anime archetypes (and I say this as someone who usually enjoys those).

It's just a fantastic episode that reminds us of how excellent the cast is. The only bad thing I can say about it is that waiting another week for more sucks! Each episode gives more than enough to chew on but dammit, I want more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, a lot of the Aku no Hana/Flowers of Evil backlash was because there was a manga and thus people expected the characters to look a certain way. I love the hell out of that adaption, but I think if there was no manga it would just be something that most people would shrug and ignore instead of going out of their way to bitch about it.

(Tho a lot of the hostility was definitely a knee-jerk reaction based on a few frames that didn't look good in still shots)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's really easy to make that mistake since Kyoani had adapted all of Key's stuff up to that point. I forgot all about that too!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know what sort of evil magics have been conjured to make the best dang anime in many years, but hell, I'm glad of it. Everything about this week's episode was just perfect and I really can't wait to see it wrap up.

I'm really hoping that enough people have been watching the streams, since Funimation will probably decide if they'll do a physical release based on that. The odds are low but hell, I wanna believe!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there any way to watch this legally in the UK, BTW?

Crunchyroll has been streaming it for viewers outside of NA. If you start now you'll be ready for the finale in 3 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/intervie...vin-101497.html

Pretty neat interview with one of the staff about the background art. It's not something you hear a whole lot of words about but Ping Pong did have some pretty nice backgrounds!

• Locked thread