Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Still waiting for them to announce the promotional tie-in crossover with Kill la Kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOt0tW26hRY

I can no longer see the words "Ping-Pong" and not think "circulate". That song'll probably go off in my head every time I see there's a new episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Very specifically only for Europe, excluding UK and Russia. :suicide:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wikiman posted:

I really like how this series looks. It really helps to not just look like everything else.

The whole robot thing in this episode was amazing. I loved the sound design in it.

The robot motif was brilliant. I didn't think much of the first half, but the payoff was absolutely brilliant.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You're overthinking it.

The coach's ranting broke Smile's robotic concentration and made him realize that he would would be ruining Kong's life. It doesn't matter to him that Kong was destined for failure because of his haughty attitude. It only mattered that Kong had staked his life on ping pong, which is something he hates and can't be arsed to deal with.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

New ep out!

Peco's match was a little dull (though that seemed to be the point) but boy did the Kazama/Kong match make up for it. This is what I wanted from Yuasa doing a sports anime, and boy did it deliever.

I feel like they're really holding back on the animation for when they want to go overboard. The Kong/Kazama match blew my mind, but the rest was mostly meh, bordering on KLK quality. I really wish they had the budget to go overboard with the imagery and animation all the time, but oh well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Also, Smile didn't show any mercy on Sakuma. Makes me wonder if over this timeskip he became less merciful, if he felt the stakes weren't enough to show mercy, or because of their past. Or heck, maybe a combination of the three!

I think he's just gotten over caring about how others feel. His only purpose is to win.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Wenge is also my favorite, I dunno how much is just enjoying the novelty of the voice acting.

That novelty slowly going away now that he's begun learning Japanese. I find he's mostly interesting for his life story so far. Hell, the show could just be about Wenge it'd probably be decent. On the other hand, Smile doesn't have much of a story, but has a very interesting and unique personality.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That's not "learning japanese", that's just jokingly repeating a few well known phrases as a friendly goodbye.

The point of that was he was at least making an effort to learn since up until then he hasn't spoken a word of Japanese, joke or not.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo that was a good episode. Kong's quickly becoming my favorite character.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

apt gangbang posted:

Yeah, they're really doing a great job handling his characterisation. I thought he felt sort of one dimensional earlier on, but it was totally believable how they fleshed him out.

He was pretty 1-dimensional until he got that reality check, which makes a lot of sense. He was so narrow-mindedly focused on that goal of his that it was all there was too him.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

absolem posted:

wow, I didn't know anyone didn't like the art to the tatami galaxy or kaiba

Considering how bizarre a style it is, in both art and animation, I can see why someone would be put off by it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

I had thought so but since people brought up Kyoani I assumed maybe I had been mistaken. I was originally just referencing Maeda Jun stuff.

Edit: to be fair, Kyoani's early Key stuff does look kind of jank.

Key girls have always looked weird with their bizarre facial proportions, but in some of the earlier Kyo Ani adaptations the girls look loving terrifying.

Finally got around to the recent episode. Poor Wenge. That bit of fatalism and imagery at the end really hit hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Key girls have always looked weird with their bizarre facial proportions, but in some of the earlier Kyo Ani adaptations the girls look loving terrifying. Clannad and Angel Beats were a lot better about it.

Finally got around to the recent episode. Poor Wenge. That bit of fatalism and imagery at the end really hit hard.

• Locked thread