Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Captain_duck posted:

Anyway can't wait. Having it be about ping-pong sounds boring, but i bet Yuasa can make it work.

Try watching Tekkonkinkreet (Black and White). Adapted from the same manga author (Taiyo Matsumoto) this's being adapted from. Honestly, Matsumoto and Yuasa are a great matchup--both're pretty psychedelic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Relambrien posted:

I really wanted to like this, but Yuasa's art style is just too much of a roadblock :smith:. I had the same problems with Tatami Galaxy, Mind Game, and Kaiba--I couldn't stand the art, they were almost painful to watch.

I feel similarly but not as heavily about Gainax/Trigger though so I guess I just have the world's most awful taste

Mental roadblocks are mental roadblocks. I know an ex-animator who can't watch anime because to her it looks like a slideshow of still images. In other words, its frame rate is too low for her.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

SC Bracer posted:

His artstyle is a pretty huge block for me too. Like, I can see that the animation is fantastic, and that the overall composition and story of ping pong is great, but that art, and the fact that it's an anime about ping pong makes it really hard for me to watch.

Like I said, I understand aesthetic roadblocks. But I really do recommend getting past them (if nothing else, consider that it being anime is in itself an arbitrary roadblock for many). As for anime about ping pong, trust me, the source material blows away most sports fiction I've seen. The individual sport doesn't matter as much as the implementation. (But then again, one of my favorite works of sport fiction is about karuta, a sport that essentially consists of flicking away the right cards faster than your opponents can. Yeah, I'm talking about the Chihayafuru manga/anime.)

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It doesn't surprise me, because people have complained about it with all his shows, but it still blows my mind that Masaaki Yuasa's visual style is a "barrier" as opposed to, say, the only reason I'm giving a sports anime the time of day to begin with.

I'm glad I did.

Not just his visual style, he's also aping Matsumoto's style. There're good reasons I consider this a match made in heaven. (Matsumoto is basically the Yuasa of manga.) I love both of those guys' stuff. And I'm psyched for a great and fitting adaptation after what I've seen of the first episode.

• Locked thread