Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Ytlaya posted:

I could maybe see that with Kaiba or Mind Game, but Tatami Galaxy? The idea of someone preferring generic anime art over that is pretty baffling, though the guy did say that he knows his taste is bad.

It was the same poo poo with Flowers of Evil. Most regular anime fans find generic cookie-cutter anime art style to be "clean" or "pure" looking and it drives them out of their comfort zone to engage with a unique, artistic, or unorthodox style. It's a really unfortunate trend but most anime people really aren't paragons of taste in general so it's not that surprising either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

absolem posted:

First, most everyone likes bland cookie cutter poo poo more. Second, I don't think that Aku no Hana's anime had good art. It was terribly inconsistent, didn't convey emotion well, and wasn't aesthetically pleasing. Really, I think it discredits kaiba/tatami galaxy/etc to compare them to Aku no Hana's anime. I don't think its the same issue at all

First, that's exactly what I was saying. You're reinforcing my point. People like boring, dull cookie-cutter poo poo because they are dull, boring cookie-cutter people with low level taste that doesn't extend beyond a basic appreciation for something looking like regular anime. Second, I think Aku no Hana's anime had excellent art. It was extremely consistent, conveyed emotion and poignancy very well, and was hugely pleasing to my aesthetic sense. Really, I think it discredits both Yuasa's body of work and the team that produced the AnH anime to not think of them as bold contemporaries in the world of unique, artistic anime production that pushes boundaries and challenges what the common person's perception of what "anime" actually is. I think it is the exact same issue.

Much like how a lot of what constitutes modern humor is merely referencing something else with no actual joke setup or punchline, I think that many anime fans simply go down a checklist of tropes and standards when watching a new show to decide if it's "good" or not. Clean, normal looking art style with your average character archetypes and same old setting and story? Good enough, for most people.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Kemonozume is my favorite anime and I recommend it to everyone.

• Locked thread