Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

The golden age of classic HK movies is long long over :(

Most All HK movies will be in Cantonese and not Mandarin, before dubbing, anyway. There is still plenty of good stuff coming out, though!

I guess I'm a big weirdo cause I dig the animation in this and am flabbergasted to hear it's the reason some people don't like this. But I'm kind of a sports/game anime junkie and expected to like this from the get-go as it's about a game I actually play. I really enjoyed the little introductions with what grip they use and their preferences.

Also after hearing the not-so-great English from the teacher early on (though I guess his English isn't meant to be stellar), the good Chinese kinda took me by surprise. I had expected the Chinese student would inexplicably speak perfect Japanese like most foreigners in anime. I'd definitely bet on him having some relation to China. It's definitely not super-standard Mandarin, which is almost what I'd expect a Japanese person who studied Chinese to have, but that just makes it feel way more authentic since you never hear standard Mandarin outside of classrooms or TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The attention to detail in this show blows me away sometimes. Every one of those snacks from Wenge's flashback, down to the imaging on the packaging, is basically 100% accurate to the boxes I see every day here. It was like I was at a convenience store snack aisle looking at that scene.

For some reason Peco strikes me as the least interesting character we've seen so far. I dunno, so far Smile, Wenge, Kazuma, and even Akuma seem like much more interesting characters that I'd like to see more of. I really wouldn't mind if Peco just kept losing and never really "powered up" and his character arc was about dealing with the fact he's just not that great at ping pong compared to these other guys.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is seriously like the best show. I watched the whole ep like 3 times and I don't remember the last time I ever did that.

Everyone else has said it, but everyone, even the weird-haired captain, has a fair amount of characterization to the point I give a poo poo about him. This episode might be my favorite so far, and it doesn't even have any crazy over-the-top wacky ping pong scenes.

I want Kong to turn his school into ping-pong monsters :unsmith:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Khagan posted:

I'm worried that this show will end without a happy ending for Wenge :ohdear:.

I dunno, Wenge already seems to have found a lot of contentment in training his team and making friends. Of anyone he's come the furthest to a conclusion so far.

But seriously this show. It's the best show.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I guess this thread is only 9 pages long cause it's just a bunch of posts saying how good this show is and not arguing about silly thing.

I'm p ok with that.

This show is the Best Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ping Pong is p much the Best Anime.

• Locked thread