Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

coathat posted:

If you like this show go out and read everything Taiyou Matsumoto has made. All of his manga are great.

Indeed. I highly recommend Takemitsu Zamurai, it's one of the ethereal manga I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Finally got around to watching it myself, it blew my loving mind with how well presented it was. You can tell Yuasa had to be conservative with animation in places, but the overall feel and the roughness makes it just such an utter pleasure to watch. Just the little details he's added to the animation, it's just such a treat.

The source material seems ace too, because I'm enjoying these characters and interactions a hell of a lot.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Do other animators in Japan dig Yuasa? I know there are some animators considered "an animators' animator", and he certainly doesn't make stuff that feels 'generically anime', ever.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
All anime needs to look uguu sugoi as hell, otherwise its lazy and

This is using the original manga's style. Yuasa uses a similar style on occasion. It allows / enables pretty fluid "meaty" animation

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
BEWARE OF KITES, THEY LOVE TO BURG

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder what exactly it was that caused Smile to emotionally retreat like he has. He didn't seem like that as a kid, really.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I made a gif of the best moment this episode

Thank god, I was hoping someone would gif that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hahahaha holy loving poo poo:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-21/ping-pong/kick-heart-yuasa-directs-adventure-time-episode

Looks like Yuasa is going to be directing an episode of Adventure Time? That RULES.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That OP is balls the walls amazing.

E: the ep was also incredible, I love the intermixing of the writing and imagery. Yuasa is the best, hail Yuasa.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 25, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda refreshing to see a sports series with a main character that just goes "You're all loving stupid, it's just a dumb game."

Yeah, I appreciate that aspect of it. Like Smile has said, Ping Pong is just a way to kill time for him, something to enjoy for the heck of it. The sport was conceived in the first place for that reason, and making it into a competition just ruins that aspect for him.

The imagery we get frequently of him playing his video game is an interesting reflection of that mindset; it's also just another thing he does to kill time because he enjoys it. It has no great impact on the world or great impact on his person. Presumably he enjoys it. But it's just a game, no different from the 'sport' he's been thrust into.

I wonder if we're going to see him come around and realize that Ping Pong is something more to him due to the people he meets, or if he's going to get a taste of the enjoyment and thrill of competition.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pandaK posted:

So is Peco the actual main character? Because someone here let slip at a hint at that, and there seem to be a few more scenes focusing on him this episode than the past Smile centric ones.

I think ostensibly Smile is the main character, but it appears to be essentially about all the major kids as part of this assemblage.

It's interesting how all of them confront (or don't confront) the reality of their situation and come to terms with the idea of dedicating everything to a hobby-turned-sport. Smile is supremely talented but lacks any real determination to win, treating Ping Pong merely as an enjoyable hobby. Peco wants nothing more to win, but has coasted all his life on innate talent with no effort, and finds himself completely overshadowed by how poor the intrinsic talent of his childhood compares to the perseverance-driven development that accompanies people throwing their all into a sport. Wenge got to where he is through effort, but has found that even with how much time and money he has thrown towards what has been his livelihood, he is still short of the 'monsters' in the world, and is struggling with the fact that his life really is just beginning. Hazama... well, we don't quite know what Hazama's deal is yet. He is sort of a combination of all the other characters combined thus far in terms of their strengths; he is innately talented, but also puts the effort in. He "lacks" weakness or mercy, but also any really apparent 'vice' either. Maybe we'll get to see more of him as time goes on.

I really like the things they've been doing with the visual motifs for each character, especially with Wenge and the aeroplane always above him embodying his desire to just return home to China with his place (and means) secured. It's the very fiber of his being at the moment, really. On the other hand, Hazama's dragon really just demonstrates how dominating he really is, without weakness.

This show is so good.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I think Wenge is my favorite character and I'm sad that his coach is gone. We didn't even get a name or anything. :(

Wenge is also my favorite, I dunno how much is just enjoying the novelty of the voice acting.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

I think his deal is that the pressure to succeed and stay on top is getting to him. There's also the whole thing with his cousin, apparently.

I posted that like two episodes ago before we learned all that :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yuasa is The Best, as always.

• Locked thread