Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

I wanna try salted cod so I can be like an old timey person.

same but so I can be at one with my ancestors or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Afro Doug posted:

i eat sardines almost every day. usually the cheapest kind in tomato sauce, but if i'm feeling fancy i love this stuff - http://www.colestrout.com/allproducts.aspx . it's crazy how good it is.

pro-tip: sardines in tomato sauce are the lowest grade, the sauce is added to hide the poor quality

also don't get that vegetable oil poo poo. strictly buy sardines in water

naem
May 29, 2011

Enfys posted:

do people eat the bones in the sardines?

Yes they are soft and cooked

ZombieParts posted:

This thread is going to get me to try sardines. thanks guys

If you like hot sauce I recommend some. I'm going to try horseradish and also goatcheese thanks op!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FaradayCage posted:

I wanna try salted cod so I can be like an old timey person.

You don't eat it with the salt because its basically a block of salt. You soak it and rinse it for like a week to wash the salt out.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fetus Tree posted:

that bowl of pasta looks absolutely disgusting

i mean it probably tastes good

but seriously it looks like puke

It tastes GREAT! I could eat a bucket of the stuff.

(I went a bit light on the tomato puree that time - it's normally thicker and redder than that)

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Justin Credible posted:

Hey man I understand you like eating sardines from a can but you gotta understand in a 40x20 un-ventilated break room you're being a loving rear end in a top hat and that's why no one was in the room anymore before you could open the second can.

Hahahah! It's no joke, if you work in a crowded place tuna, salmon or sardines are likely to make at least one person gag. The first time i did a serious diet i was eating cans of tuna for lunch and people had to leave the table i was eating at.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

FaradayCage posted:

http://asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

This is amazing. I'll buy a bag of spinach and eat this five times in a week.

Just made that. It's pretty good!

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Sardines in water? I always get the ones in olive oil, are the ones in water better?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Someone post that pic of the tinned fish with all the teeth in it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

monkeytennis posted:

Someone post that pic of the tinned fish with all the teeth in it.

this just gave me chills but now i want to see it

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I like taking a tin of sardines packed in olive oil and putting them in a bowl and adding a dash of lemon juice, some minced garlic, and some fancy mustard. I mix it up really well and just eat it on Ritz crackers.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Spectral Debt posted:

Sardines in water? I always get the ones in olive oil, are the ones in water better?

How bougie of you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

just an fyi you can make your own salt cod.
The ingredients required are:

A hunk of cod (thaw some frozen stuff and buy it on sale)
Salt

Rub salt on cod.
Put on rack over pan in refrigerator.
Wait until it's all dried out.
Tada it's bacalao.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Turmoil posted:

I like taking a tin of sardines packed in olive oil and putting them in a bowl and adding a dash of lemon juice, some minced garlic, and some fancy mustard. I mix it up really well and just eat it on Ritz crackers.

that sounds like a plan right there

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Turmoil posted:

This is also delicious with horseradish instead of/with the mustard.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I eat so much mackerel but I can't get on the sardine boat

sorry op

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
trip report: had the boneless skinless ones w/mustard, on saltines. Good,but next time it's hot sauce

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Here is your requested sardine recipe, thanks Britain

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
yo wish i had some sardines right now they're pretty yummo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i watched an episode of The Thirsty Traveler once where he was in Greece and they were grilling up fresh sardines and washing them down with ouzo

Would Consume

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

yeah man seaside taverna with fresh fish, fried halloumi, white wine and ouzo... oh god good memories.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sardines are fantastic. The best part is you can order them off amazon in bulk for a pretty good price and you don't have to go to the grocery store. Also, eat the bones, cause that's the best part. It's how you let the world know you are a human.

I am a human and I eat what I want. I eat all the things. I am the Alpha and the Omega. I will destroy the world.

Delicious.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

who the gently caress is gonna pick through a wet sardine carcass to remove the bones anyway?

i ate the heads in greece. that was fun. my ex's aunt showed me how to chew them up into a paste to extract all the flavor, then spit the pink paste into a giant pile on your napkin. awesome.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
currently eating TJ smoked sardines in olive oil.

they had boneless skinless ones for a dollar more but it didn't say if they were smoked or not. do they make unsmoked canned sardines?

mixed it with garlic, lemon juice, black pepper, spicy mustard. on some 12 grain crackers. tastes good.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
yo here's a sardine pasta recipe, it's called 'puttanesca' which is spanish for hooker's sauce or something so that's pretty awesome

you need:
  • bit of olive oil
  • one whole onion or half a huge onion, diced up
  • bunch of garlic, like 8 cloves or something. garlic rules and you pretty much can't have too much
  • bit of wine, pref. white but don't even worry about it
  • can of diced tomatoes, or even better some actual tomatoes that you diced yourself
  • basil, and maybe oregano if you feel like it
  • can of fuckin' sardines, baby. chopped up a bit, might want to remove the spines too (kinda gross)
  • red pepper flakes. not like a whole lot though, you don't want it super spicy
  • capers (these little salty green fuckers, loving own)
  • black olives
  • pasta, i use penne usually but you can use spaghetti or bowties or wagon wheels or linguini or elbows or whatever you want.
  • salt

So cook the onion and garlic in a pan in the olive oil, when it's browned a bit throw in the wine to deglaze it, when that's reduced a bit throw in the tomatoes, and when that's started to simmer throw in the herbs and the sardines and pepper flakes. Also you should've started cooking the pasta at some point by now. Anyway, let the sauce simmer a bit, and once it's reduced down thrown in the capers and olives, and let it cook a little more. You'll probably want to taste it and add some salt at this point too. Drain the pasta, then dump the sauce in and eat straight out of the pot if you're a sad bachelor like me or put it on a plate with some parsley if you're trying to impress someone.

anyway this recipe is great because it's tasty as gently caress and doesn't use anything that goes bad quickly so you can just keep all the ingredients hanging around and bust this out when you need to make something and don't feel like going to the store.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
drat that sounds good.

I'm thinking about trying to make some sardine and chicken meatballs. Mix with breadcrumbs, kind of like a crab cake, but make them tiny. Panfry and add to pasta. I dunno what seasoning to put in it.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Wow ! These Japanese style sardine meatballs in miso udon soup look amazing. http://kyotofoodie.com/sardine-meatballs-iwashi-tsumire-iri-miso-udon/

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Clamps McGraw posted:

I eat so much mackerel but I can't get on the sardine boat

sorry op

what's mackerel like?

e: :zoid:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Mackerel sushi is really fishy it's the only sushi I dislike

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Aw yeah, gotta get my bristling on! Dey some OG sea-niggas (fish).

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Lunixnerd posted:

Aw yeah, gotta get my bristling on! Dey some OG sea-niggas (fish).

Pier Buddies

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
kippers and a fried egg for breakfast

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Smoked kippers, egg, and toast soldiers is the best hangover food ever. :chef:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PlantRobot posted:

what's mackerel like?

e: :zoid:

In Scandinavia, mackerel is the standard 'canned fish in tomato sauce' fish.

Mackerel is maybe my favorite fish: a very flavorful, fatty, dark meat fish.

Delicious canned in tomato sauce

Even better smoked and served with creamed spinach

Amazing, fresh and fried with sour cream on the side.

Also very tasty as sushi, but it has a strong fish flavor that many people don't like at all.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

mackerel is among the best cuts in sushi second to yellowtail imo and it's only super noticeably fishy if it's not fresh so

eff them lame-rear end crab rolls man

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

sardines in olive oil and a slice of toasted sourdough bread. heaven.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Well, it has a strong fish flavor compared to the farmed salmon that's used for sushi.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Feminition posted:

mackerel is among the best cuts in sushi second to yellowtail imo and it's only super noticeably fishy if it's not fresh so

eff them lame-rear end crab rolls man

escolar is loving delicious even though its often falsely labeled as white tuna and gives some people the shits due to the weird oil that's in it

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

This brand is the poo poo

edit: i like kippers and eggs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i never had sardines, i guess ill try some

• Locked thread