Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
From living in Spain, sardines have become a good high protein snack for me. They taste so much loving better over here, it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Portugal too. They are huge sardine consumers and as a result have a huge selection of tastey fishies.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the Iberian peninsula is the center of the sardine world

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
And yet Spanish/Portuguese sardines are quite hard to find in Germany and you pay a ridiculous premium for most of them.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Haverchuck posted:

the Iberian peninsula is the center of the sardine world

Not Sardinia?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Though I have to say goodbye to this thread, I will never say goodbye to my precious, precious 'dines. You can have my sardines when you pry them from my cold, dead hands... covered in mustard.

Buying some Matiz brand 'dines from Amazon to cheer myself up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
We have pages upon pages of threads about not liking things, but sardines are a member of the smallest list of topics that goons could come together and appreciate as good. This thread had many stories for dine dads to share and delectable recipes for all to enjoy; it will be missed. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I like sardine. I like thread.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Just got my free KO Mackerel sampler, and only because of this blessed thread! Time for some fishies, crackers n franks!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sardines are good greetings from the goldmine yall

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fister Roboto posted:

That gives me an idea to try stir frying some dines.

i made some sardine fried rice and it was pretty good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

The bones are seriously creepy but I eat them because it's metal as gently caress :black101:

It another reason why sardines have massive amounts of calcium

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
n/m

Ohnonotme fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 14, 2015

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

ReelBigLizard posted:

Want to quick shout out to the UK / Europe based proto-dads.

http://www.pilchardworks.co.uk/

The Pilchard Works are the poo poo. They only do three tins - Regular, Tomato and Smoked. They are all delicious, especially the smoked.

You can buy them on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H9K7YFS

I found them at Waitrose too.

I mentioned those Cornish Pilchards earlier on in the thread - they are ALL fantastic, but the smoked ones are a beautiful little can of heaven.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does the sardine thread, the best thread in GBS, need to be goldmined? Let us carry on Dadposting about our canned fish plz

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

A new thread must be created. BUT WHO WILL RISE UP TO THE CHALLENGE????

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks to this thread I've gotten free King Oscar sardines in the mail, and this morning I made fisherman's eggs. Thanks to that protein bomb I haven't been hungry in 7 hours and counting. Best GBS thread ever!

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Thanks to this thread I've gotten free King Oscar sardines in the mail, and this morning I made fisherman's eggs. Thanks to that protein bomb I haven't been hungry in 7 hours and counting. Best GBS thread ever!

Seriously, fisherman's eggs might be the most filling thing.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

drat these Mediterranean Mackerels are loving delicious.

Even better with Frank's. drat diddly I can already feel my Dadness growing...

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 14, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Just ate my KO mediterranean mackerels.What a can of fish. Outstanding. Ate half from the can and the other half on some rice with some curry-flavored kimchi. Much better than the regular olive-oil mackerels they sent. I do think I will talk to my grocer about them.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Had some bristling sardines in olive oil on crackers with hot sauce thanks to this thread, and was blown away! Dines own.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Hail to the King, baby.

HotCarl
Aug 20, 2002
FUCK YOU,
GOT MINE
Was this entire thread an ad?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HotCarl posted:

Was this entire thread a dad?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
OK, I'm usually a can-to-mouth guy but after everyone going on about it I finally made Fishermans eggs this morning.

Fried the onions and minced garlic in the oil from the can for a little before adding the sweet fish flesh and a good twist of salt and pepper. Added the eggs and let them cook from the bottom while I waited for the electric grill to heat up, then finished the eggs under the grill. I sprinkled over just a pinch of Jerk seasoning and ate them with buttered Swedish Crispbreads.

:coolfish: Sweet Jesus.

naem
May 29, 2011

Please title the next thread "the dadliest catch" thnks

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
We need a good 'dine guide for newbies

here is my proposal

1 buy 'dines
2 buy crackers
3 buy hotsauce
4 combine
5 eat
6 become the dad you always wanted to be

A question: How many of your dads eat 'dines? My dad sure as hell eats them

I helped my parents move today and he must have had 4-5 tins hidden away in a moving box

He loves the 'dines

edit: i love my dad and we're closer now thanks to 'dines

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

naem posted:

the legend continues

naem
May 29, 2011

*gollum from lotr voice* EAT THEM EEEAT THEMMM

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trip Report:

I bought some CotS 'dines but they weren't as good as the last 'dines I bought.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Trip report number one: KO bristlings in olive oil.

(I forgot to take a picture!)

I used them to make Sherried Sardine toasts for myself and a friend. He loved it, so the march to convert more dads goes on.

What a texture! Such subtle flavor! I can see quite easily why these are popular. I left the sardines almost whole on the toasts, the bones were unnoticeable.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

AEMINAL posted:

We need a good 'dine guide for newbies

here is my proposal

1 buy 'dines
2 buy crackers
3 buy hotsauce
4 combine
5 eat
6 become the dad you always wanted to be

A question: How many of your dads eat 'dines? My dad sure as hell eats them

I helped my parents move today and he must have had 4-5 tins hidden away in a moving box

He loves the 'dines

edit: i love my dad and we're closer now thanks to 'dines

My dad is a 'dine dad but I hadn't had them since highschool until this thread came along. I recently sent him a variety pack of ~15 types of fine 'dines that I've stockpiled from Amazon to repay my childhood mooching and to show him how many good ones are out there beyond the normal grocery selection.

I've personally settled on Melinda's hot sauce as my favorite 'dine sauce since it has a lot of lime to go with the vinegar which really cuts the oiliness on top of being really tasty.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Store near me now carries the KO Mediterranean Style Mackerel. The campaign worked!

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

naem posted:

Whoa, I thought of this too today when I was making dinner.

Unrelated, I got another free KO coupon from their Hanukkah Facebook photo contest. :getin:

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Okay, hopefully I am not being blasphemous about sardines, but they seem like bait fish to me.

Is there a fresh fish version that is like them? I don't do sushi, and can't imagine eating some tiny fish like that whole.

Trying to wrap my head around this. Help?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Fresh sardines own. Grill them with salt and eat with lemon and bread and maybe olive oil. Ask anyone on the med coast but especially the Italians.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

naem posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

um http://octodadgame.com/octodad/dadliest-catch/