Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Neruz posted:

Time for a mission that starts off horrifying and rapidly becomes pretty simple, Iron Plague does love to just make no sense at all difficulty-wise :v:

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 18 - Youtubular

Next time on Neruz Plays Bad Games we go find out what Helegrin is up to now that he has recruited Thirsha and the forces of Zhon to his side. Yay Zhon mission! :toot:

My thoughts within the first 30 seconds of the video:
"Oh, the height of Kirenna's magical abilities huh? Right when all hope seems lost? Man, I bet she'll summon a huge storm or something to sink all the Kreon ships! Wait, what. This is... one of the four super magic leader guy's ultimate power is scrying?! Oh what the gently caress Cavedog? What the gently caress Veruna?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, that seemed like it was surprisingly easy, despite the ships that you just couldn't command at the beginning.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I was expecting it to be a lot harder; my test game had Neo Dragons constantly flying around raiding all my stuff and the Creonite navy seemed like it had a lot more Ironclads floating about. I'm not sure if it was just the speed at which I reacted and took the offensive prevented Creon from properly invading or what.

I have no explanation for the uncontrollable ships, none. I've never seen that in the game before but testing shows that yep you just flat out cannot control those specific ships in this mission. :iiam:

I'm not really sure what to expect from the rest of the game at this point; this is about the part of IP where I stopped being able to complete missions and started using the defeat trick to just skip to the next one so I only vaguely remember one specific mission and the final two missions with very fuzzy memories for both. I genuinely don't know if things will suddenly get hard again or not, though I'm pretty sure the last mission at least is a doozy.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah I was expecting it to be a lot harder; my test game had Neo Dragons constantly flying around raiding all my stuff and the Creonite navy seemed like it had a lot more Ironclads floating about. I'm not sure if it was just the speed at which I reacted and took the offensive prevented Creon from properly invading or what.

I have no explanation for the uncontrollable ships, none. I've never seen that in the game before but testing shows that yep you just flat out cannot control those specific ships in this mission. :iiam:

I'm not really sure what to expect from the rest of the game at this point; this is about the part of IP where I stopped being able to complete missions and started using the defeat trick to just skip to the next one so I only vaguely remember one specific mission and the final two missions with very fuzzy memories for both. I genuinely don't know if things will suddenly get hard again or not, though I'm pretty sure the last mission at least is a doozy.

Well, I look forward to your next mission. Oh, and if you still get some opportunities to play as Creon, I especially look forward to those. oh, and would you mind if I asked what Creon's equivalent of an Ancient Dragon is?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't mind at all, but since I'm 90% sure that it shows up in at least one mission (albeit as an enemy) I'm not going to answer until then :v:

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Why does Veruna suck so much?
:negative:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

I don't mind at all, but since I'm 90% sure that it shows up in at least one mission (albeit as an enemy) I'm not going to answer until then :v:

oohhhh, I look forward to it!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Neruz posted:

There will be 2 very hard Creon missions.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Glukeose posted:

Well, they seem to have a severe dearth of industry, with their primary economic power coming from sea-based things like trade. This has likely led them to relying on their navy to protect their comparatively weak land-based empire. Additionally, while their navy is formidable in the face of similar technological empires, the Creon navy is sort of like Poland finding itself against Germany at the start of WW2- they're fighting tanks with horsemen. So to put it shortly, the one thing they're good at, Creon is like 10x better at and their high sage's most powerful magic is a crappy scrying spell.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Glukeose posted:

Because they're morons. All newborn Verunians(?) are carried up to a crows nest and dropped to the deck, headfirst, as a rite of passage.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So what did Helegrin need Thirsha for? Why to covertly sneak him across a mountain range that borders Creon lands via air transport of course! I'm not entirely sure what Cavedog wanted with this map; if they'd given me more Sacred Stones I'd assume you're supposed to fight your way through but with just what you get I figure maybe you're supposed to do what I did? :shrug:

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 19 - Youtubular

Next time we get another Zhon mission (:toot:) in one of the new tilesets Iron Plague introduced! Perhaps we might even find out what the gently caress Helegrin is up to; anyone care to guess?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bringing back Loken?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Bringing back Loken?

I'm thinking this as well. Maybe the.... shoot I can't even remember what exactly it was? I want to say potion, but whatever. The artifact was his plycantary that he made so that he could be revived since he saw the war was turning against him. It would certainly explain him entrusting it to his most loyal of troops, though I don't get the feeling that Loken would be the kind to trust ANYONE with something like that, he may surprise me. So anyway, he lets himself get killed at the climax of the war, so that everyone thinks he's dead, allowing him to, when revived, secretly build up.

Basically, he's planning to be the World of Blake, if this was Battletech.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nah they're gonna summon a giant monster to kill everyone or something.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Nah they're gonna summon a giant monster to kill everyone or something.

I'd describe Loken as a giant monster, yeah.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shoeless posted:

I'd describe Loken as a giant monster, yeah.
Giant Loken, riding a dracolich. :black101:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well you guys guessed it; time to bring Lokken back to life! Even Helegrin didn't see this one coming :v:
Sure would have been nice if Thirsha had mentioned that Lokken gave her his magic stone, or if she had done anything at all for her supposed 'ally' instead of moping in the jungle until Helegrin shows up.

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 20 - Youtubular

Next time Lokken lives once more! In the middle of a secret Creon research facility built in the heart of a dormant volcano surrounded by murderous robots: The perfect time to stage a breakout!

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 13, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neruz posted:

Next time Lokken lives once more! In the middle of a secret Creon research facility built in the heart of a dormant volcano surrounded by murderous robots: The perfect time to stage a breakout!
Dunno, it sounds like a great place for a villain to hang out. Not to mention that smashing down the robots reveals to everyone that he's back and where he is.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 5, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Dunno, it sounds like a great place for a villain to hang out. Not to mention that smashing down the robots reveals to everyone that he's back and where he is.

I know, right? It's the perfect "I'm back baby!" place.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
You know, I was hoping we would make a harpy and convert that mechanic at the beginning.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Could you possibly lower the ingame volume, at least the music? You were incredibly quiet and often drowned out in comparison so I missed the vast majority of what you said.

e: also I was really pleased you saved that divine lodestone with the monarch.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hmm, I may have overadjusted the volume of my voice track. I'll try a second version without adjusting the volume.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Here we go, how's this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRDCuFFB1E

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've never gotten this far in Iron Plague and I always wanted to see the secret lab tileset. It lives up to the name far more than the underground caverns.

To my knowledge, no multiplayer maps use either. So you're outta luck if you want to see this stuff outside the campaign.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I don't think there are any maps that use either tileset outside of the campaign, though presumably one could use the map editor to make a custom map with one of them.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah that's much better, thanks.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Its time to stage a breakout! Join me today as I build a giant swarm of dragons and burn Creon's research facility to the ground, I also discover a new unit I completely forgot existed and remember how awesome it is, but then I get it killed because it isn't immune to paralysis (Chief Engineers :argh:) but don't worry we'll get another chance to see it.

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 21 - Youtubular

Next time we return to Creon and find out how things are going now that all four Monarchs are actively attacking Creon's heartlands (hint: Poorly.)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

How many more missions left in the game? And how many of them are going to be Zhon?

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 20, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There are 25 missions in total in The Iron Plague, so not including this one there are 3 missions left.

After this mission is another Creon mission that is also The Worst Mission In The Entire Game (look forward to that :byodood:) then there's an Aramon + Veruna mission and then finally you get all 4 Monarchs in the last mission. All 3 of these missions are huge dicks and really hard and will probably require multiple attempts which I may or may not record as fail vids.

But enough of that, it is time for the Creon version of that Verunan mission at the start where you had to hold out for half an hour! The Creon version is way harder. Also Assassins are total dicks aaagh!

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 22 - Youtubular

gently caress you Assassins, I hope they don't pull more of that poo poo in the next mission (I bet they pull more of that poo poo in the next mission).

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I'm only 20 minutes in and seeing a gold dragon appear, after the assassins murdering all your chief engineers, is hilarious in a very dickish way. It's like it's finally time for revenge for all the poo poo Creon pulled, only it's the computer having it on you.

I was reminded* of something I used to do when I played it, which was to set up my scouts in a triangular patrol route - theoretically while the flyer spent a bit less time on the line you wanted kept visible, the fact it turned on the points quicker instead of the full 180 of a two-point patrol line seemed like it kept them alive much longer, and if you have several on the same route it doesn't even have that drawback. Is this actually based in mechanics or was I retroactively justifying all the pretty patterns I made patrol routes for?

*how many barnstormers get murdered by mage archers

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The field of battle was littered with the corpses of Barnstormers, Automatons, Mechanics and Chief Engineers by the time I was finished. Oh and lots and lots of exploded Aramonians.

You are correct about the triangle patrol route; units do lead their targets but the leading is quite poor so it can be juked relatively easily by using frequent turns. I think I did a bit of this in earlier missions with bats and hawks, I don't bother doing it with barnstormers because they're so huge and clumsy it's not really worth the effort.

I tend to go for a sort of industrial warfare with the TA series wherein I'm just constantly manufacturing giant armies that slowly grind my enemies down into dust, this will be significantly more apparent after I finish TA:K and move on to SupCom as SupCom pushes the scale up even further and we will see me do things like set a rally point in the enemy base and then just leave a dozen factories to build tanks that march into the enemy base forever :v:
(Actually I don't think I ever did that in the campaign, that was more a multiplayer thing but we'll see.)

Ran a test attempt at the next mission, holy poo poo Cavedog. What the fuuuuuck?

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

You'd probably have had better luck at it if you kept those two smaller groups of tortoises at the top and bottom of the map, outside of where the walls were going up, to keep watch and take out enemy units that were sneaking through your fog of war. And a shock trooper standing guard with your mechanics and chief engineers would likely have been enough to take out the assassins before they took you out. All told that was a fun level to watch, and I'm surprised you went for pretty walls instead of just a line of prismatic mirrors.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

I tend to go for a sort of industrial warfare with the TA series wherein I'm just constantly manufacturing giant armies that slowly grind my enemies down into dust, this will be significantly more apparent after I finish TA:K and move on to SupCom as SupCom pushes the scale up even further and we will see me do things like set a rally point in the enemy base and then just leave a dozen factories to build tanks that march into the enemy base forever :v:
(Actually I don't think I ever did that in the campaign, that was more a multiplayer thing but we'll see.)
This is absolutely how I play SupCom. Have a constant stream of units aimed at the enemy while I muck around with airplanes and strikes from different directions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the AI go for builder units in general? That seems likely.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

This is absolutely how I play SupCom. Have a constant stream of units aimed at the enemy while I muck around with airplanes and strikes from different directions.

See, how I play SupCom is step 1) get to Tier 3. Step 2) Build Bricks and Monkeylords. Step 3) Why do you need a step three you're building bricks and monkeylords go kick the enemy's poo poo in.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
This gaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Today we learn why scouting the enemy base is a terrible idea at this point in the game :stonk:

Apologies for excessive breathing, it appears I put my mic in an even worse spot than usual but I am so not doing that mission again. That said we do get to see a bit of Aerial Juggernaut action near the end so yay!

Further testing revealed that the Verunans are supposed to arrive after ~30 mins like we saw in the video, them arriving earlier in prior tests is probably down to me scouting with Barnstormers and waking up the AI :shepface:

Let's Play Total Annihilation: Kingdoms - The Iron Plague Episode 23 - Youtubular

Next time; the final Creon defensive mission, because the same thing 3 times in a row is good game design :stare:

Shoeless posted:

See, how I play SupCom is step 1) get to Tier 3. Step 2) Build Bricks and Monkeylords. Step 3) die horribly to massed gunships.

ftfy.

Glazius posted:

Does the AI go for builder units in general? That seems likely.

It absolutely does; builder units have very high targeting priority but those assassins in the last mission are explicitly scripted to spawn inside your base and then hunt down your Chief Engineers. I went back and replayed the mission to try and find out how the hell they were getting in, walled off my entire portion of the map and had scouts everywhere and they were still getting in, finally caught one in the act of spawning in that little empty area immediately behind where you start, Cavedog! :argh:

I think they might actually spawn in response to you building Chief Engineers because I got only a couple until I started making Chief Engineers at which point they were suddenly everywhere.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

When I did that mission I walled it off completely except for a very well-guarded entrance that no stealth unit could get thruogh and the assassins stopped. Suppose it could be because I ran out of Chief Engineers and didn't bother making new ones.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow Cavedog really just ran out of ideas towards the end here. It's pretty sad. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, that sure was a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I just hope I get to see you make another Ariel Juggernaut in the next mission.

• Locked thread