Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eastern Europe: Korean War II, Ukraine the Reckoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eigenstate posted:

Eastern Europe: no news, all Clancychat.

I like this one.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
This talk about Germans being "self serving cowards" to quote a poster:

1) Every country acts in a self-serving way. If you believe otherwise, you are a naive childe.
The nature of agreements are to a) coordinate incentives or b) penalize noncommitment. This is what will happen - and beyond that each country will ultimately try to get theirs. THIS INCLUDES ALL THE COUNTRIES IN BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE EU.
If you do not understand this and think that Germany has some god given moral obligation to do this and that, you live in a literal dreamworld, as no government, except by pure incompetency or mistake, has ever done something out of goodness of heart. That is not their job. This does not preclude fruitful cooperation of course, but if the government fails to act accordingly, they are not doing their job and will be voted out of office.

2) Given the history, given the politics, given the geopolitical situation, you should not be surprised that Germany has a small army comparable to other countries. For twenty plus years, there has been literally no threat at all - not even in the slightest. At the same time you need to realize that the question if ANY German soldier should EVER step on foreign soil again was a debate for years in the country. The question to take part in in aggressive action, even for a good cause, is still not entirely resolved politically. Given these two facts, the logical conclusion for any politican is that a big army is nothing but a waste of money.
The idea that Germany actually has to take its soldiers somewhere else and try to do some good and it is not wrong just by principle is an entirely novel one.

3) Besides all that, all major parties and the vast majority of Germans are pro-European. The public opinion of Russia is very low. In case of an actual attack of Russia on the EU, the rage in Germany would be incredible. Pacifistic as I am, I can not believe otherwise but that in case of such an attack, Germany would immediately declare war on Russia, and act on it. Given the political climate, everything else seems really unlikely to me. Believe what you like, but all major organizations and all major parties and politicans have staked their existence on continuation of the European Union.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 3, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Eastern Europe - Putin: "I did not have sexual relations with that seperatist"

On the news front:
A gas station got blown up east of Donetsk <-- UA commandoes or something trying to slow the russkies down?
Ukrainian PM Yatsenyuk Rejects Putin's Proposal for Ceasefire Plan
No water in Donetsk
Russian artillery shelled #Pervomaisk and #Popasnaya <--A fair bit north of Luhansk so maybe that's how far the lines have moved.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
My uncle in Kiev says there are guys who are joining up with volunteer battalions because at least that way they'll be getting quality helmets/bulletproof vests, thanks to the efforts of volunteers and donations.

If they're called up to serve in the regular army who knows what kind ancient/outdated/lovely equipment they will get.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Eastern Europe - Putin: "Like Stealing Candy From an Oligarch."

Edit:

Eastern Europe - "Homonazi Junta," Yes That Was an Actual Thing

Kristov fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 3, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Eastern Europe - "Wow all these people really hate each other"

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Eastern Europe: All jokes aside, thousands are being slaughtered for Putin's personal gain and people are praising him for it while admonishing the victims

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Eastern Europe - Putin: *sob* "I Learned It From Watching You, OK!"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ukraine is apparently talking about reinforcing the border with Russia, in a project named "The Wall".

http://www.hromadske.tv/politics/ukrayina-pochinaye-proekt--stina--na-kordoni-z-ros/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

McDowell posted:

Aren't the Mistrals of questionable utility to Russia anyway? I read somewhere that they are best suited for international anti terror/piracy operations.

They are mobile headquarters, even without armament they still have the SENIT 9 command & control suite (though without the link 11/16/22 NATO communication modules of course).

Another thing they can do without armament is humanitarian mission. There's a huge hospital inside, and the hangars can be used to shelter refugees. The lead ship of the class was actually used to evacuate ~1700 people from Lebanon in 2006, and repatriate ~5000 Egyptians refugees in 2011.

Now does it look like Russia could have a use for humanitarian or "humanitarian" missions? #convoy

pigdog posted:

I don't disagree, but have to admit the French also have a point saying why do they need to bear the burden of cancelling a billion dollar contract, when the rest of Europe keeps lining Putin's pocket with gas money and can't come to terms about any sort of sanctions.

Especially rich when criticisms about the Mistral deal came from Cameron who was simultaneously busy exporting rockets, bullets, and sniper rifles to Russia.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Eastern Europe: This is not a thread about Eastern Europe
Yes, definitely this one.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So this map updated:
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/kot_ivanov/71733898/29229/29229_original.jpg

No huge changes compared to the old one:
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/kot_ivanov/71733898/28043/28043_original.jpg

But of interest is the addition of that blue border some ways back. Not quite sure what it means though. Just the traditional extent of the Donetsk region?

The white stripes over red shows areas that neither side controls but both may be operating in. The western "pocket" is pretty loose.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Pimpmust posted:

So this map updated:

But of interest is the addition of that blue border some ways back. Not quite sure what it means though. Just the traditional extent of the Donetsk region?

The white stripes over red shows areas that neither side controls but both may be operating in. The western "pocket" is pretty loose.

It matches up with the western border of Donetsk and Lugansk Oblast

e: Also looks like the rebels have intruded into Zaporizhia Oblast which wasn't a theatre before as far as I remember?

Zohar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 3, 2014

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Eastern Europe: Russian soldiers are all dying in training exercises, no war here.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eastern Europe: Looks like it's The Ukraine again

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Pimpmust posted:

So this map updated:

This map refers to Ukrainian forces as fascists, junta and ethnic cleansing squads. There's no references to the Russian army from my brief skimming. There's a sentence about how a Ukrainian plane was shot down as it was lining up to bomb a factory.

In other words, I would not trust this map at all.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
I would trust it more than the Ukrainian map, it has been more accurate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Eastern Europe: Putin's Slavic Squat on EU's Face

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Eastern Europe: We know squat

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Cat Mattress posted:

Good idea. Let's cancel the deal, blah blah blah.

France should just tell Russia to get hosed.

BUT NO!!! we might have to pay a fine??? What is the lives of childern worth? No much apparently.

You got to be loving kidding me.

Edit:

If only Ukraine had a gun some sort of contract with Russia that their territorial integrity would be respected! Russia would have thought twice about invading if they might have been slapped with a fine from INTERNATIONAL CONTRACT LAW!!!!

Numlock fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 3, 2014

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Eastern Europe - Putin's Manifest Destiny

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Eastern Europe - Eastern Europe Never Changes.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Baloogan posted:

Eastern Europe - Eastern Europe Never Changes.

Very nice. That one.

Or the Clancychat one.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: We know squat

ThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThis

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Donetsk Ask Donetsk Tell

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Numlock posted:

BUT NO!!! we might have to pay a fine??? What is the lives of childern worth? No much apparently.

I'm kind of amazed that this is surprising to you. This isn't exactly a new attitude in the history of international relations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Numlock posted:

You got to be loving kidding me.

Edit:

If only Ukraine had a gun some sort of contract with Russia that their territorial integrity would be respected! Russia would have thought twice about invading if they might have been slapped with a fine from INTERNATIONAL CONTRACT LAW!!!!

do you have no understanding of what contracts are and how important they are to how our society functions?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Numlock posted:

I don't know how many children have been killed by unfinished warships, but I bet it's less than those killed by British rockets, bullets, and rifles.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Agrajag posted:

do you have no understanding of what contracts are and how important they are to how our society functions?

Contracts are important. Respecting the borders of neighboring nations vis-a-vis military action is also important. I feel strange making that comparison since it was made in the very post you responded to, and you completely glossed over.

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know how many children have been killed by unfinished warships, but I bet it's less than those killed by British rockets, bullets, and rifles.

Most unfired weapons haven't killed anyone. But that's what they're for, and when you sell them to people, you can be pretty sure that's how they're going to be used. Especially in the context of the current situation, is your point that it's all okay because they haven't been used to kill anyone yet? Because that seems to be what you're hanging your post on.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe the French can deliver the ships then sink them later that night, Rainbow Warrior style.

A contract is a contract after all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PhilippAchtel posted:

Most unfired weapons haven't killed anyone. But that's what they're for, and when you sell them to people, you can be pretty sure that's how they're going to be used. Especially in the context of the current situation, is your point that it's all okay because they haven't been used to kill anyone yet? Because that seems to be what you're hanging your post on.

My point was that while everybody was reporting on and complaining about the Mistrals, nobody really seemed to care about Britain exporting arms and military equipment to Russia while Cameron was claiming that an arm export from Britain was "unthinkable".

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

eigenstate posted:

Eastern Europe: no news, all Clancychat.

This one gets my vote too.

:ssh: because it describes the thread perfectly

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Imagine 4 spheres of influence on the edge of a cliff.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

Contracts are important. Respecting the borders of neighboring nations vis-a-vis military action is also important. I feel strange making that comparison since it was made in the very post you responded to, and you completely glossed over.

Since when have defense contractors given a poo poo about anything but the bottom line? Hollande did the right thing by saying that they couldn't send the warship right now, but he's going to pay for it politically.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

katlington posted:

:golfclap:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

katlington posted:

Ahahahahaaaaaa, well done. This needs to be it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Russia works the same way.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Majorian posted:

Since when have defense contractors given a poo poo about anything but the bottom line? Hollande did the right thing by saying that they couldn't send the warship right now, but he's going to pay for it politically.

Okay, but let's not confuse is and ought. A major thread of conversation has become, "Yeah, Russia militarism is bad, bit what are you gonna do :shrug:"

Part of the answer is certainly don't sell them weapons. Throwing up your hands and saying "We're bound by contract" is a pretty poor excuse. Western European governments won't do anything other than hem and haw because they have business interests to protect, but it's still pretty shameful (not to godwin, but especially coming from a nation with a recent history like France) and it's completely fair to call them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

Okay, but let's not confuse is and ought. A major thread of conversation has become, "Yeah, Russia militarism is bad, bit what are you gonna do :shrug:"

Part of the answer is certainly don't sell them weapons. Throwing up your hands and saying "We're bound by contract" is a pretty poor excuse. Western European governments won't do anything other than hem and haw because they have business interests to protect, but it's still pretty shameful (not to godwin, but especially coming from a nation with a recent history like France) and it's completely fair to call them out.

It's a little more complicated than you're portraying it, though. Vice, surprisingly, had a good piece on it a couple months ago:

quote:

In addition, the French shipbuilding industry has been floundering, and European shipbuilding in general has seen a lot reorganizations, restructuring, acquisitions, and mergers over the last decade. Currently, the company responsible for building the ship is STX France; 33 percent of the company is owned by the French government, which is trying to keep the company afloat. Last month, the Korean owners of the remaining 66 percent stake announced their intention to sell their portion. Considering that the entire French shipbuilding industry averages about $1.4 billion in commercial orders and $2 billion in military orders per year, a hit of more than $1.7 billion would be devastating.

In addition, a complete collapse of the shipbuilding industry would mean the loss of critical know-how and skills. Defense planners around the world have been expressing ongoing concern about various national defense industrial bases for years. The defense industry requires a lot of specialized manufacturing, technology, and skills that are slow to acquire and hard to replace if lost. If a key company goes under, then those employees scatter to the four winds. This means that when a country actually needs to do something — like build an advanced warship — nobody knows how to do it anymore, and everything has to start from scratch.

Defaulting on the Mistral contract could, at the most extreme, be such a severe blow that it would sink the entire French shipbuilding industrial base.

So it's hard for me to condemn Hollande too much on taking a couple months to basically put the kibosh on the deal. The guy is politically hosed enough as it is; there was no obvious solution to this problem that wasn't going to gently caress him even more.

• Locked thread