Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

katlington posted:

Imagine 4 spheres of influence on the edge of a cliff.

:lol:

Majorian posted:

So it's hard for me to condemn Hollande too much on taking a couple months to basically put the kibosh on the deal. The guy is politically hosed enough as it is; there was no obvious solution to this problem that wasn't going to gently caress him even more.

No matter how unpopular Hollande is he had no business sending those ships to Russia. Ship them off to Cardiff for the NATO summit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

No matter how unpopular Hollande is he had no business sending those ships to Russia. Ship them off to Cardiff for the NATO summit.

Which is why I'm glad he didn't. I'm thinking he was looking for any other way out of just reneging on the deal.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

katlington posted:

Yeah okay, this one clearly wins.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Meanwhile, Putin has other things to do besides not have anything to do with the Russian army fighting in Ukraine.

http://asbarez.com/126529/putin-approves-treaty-on-armenian-entry-to-eurasian-union/

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Meanwhile, Putin has other things to do besides not have anything to do with the Russian army fighting in Ukraine.

http://asbarez.com/126529/putin-approves-treaty-on-armenian-entry-to-eurasian-union/

That isn't great news to Azerbaijan.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: We know squat

This, or Eastern Europe: The Ukraine is Weak

Pissflaps posted:

Donetsk, Don't Tell

ftfy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

This, or Eastern Europe: The Ukraine is Weak

Ukraine is game to you?!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
What is the French public's temperature on the Ukrainian war? I know Germany has a vocal pro-Russian contingent (or at least pro-neutrality while bent on giving Putin every benefit of every doubt), but I'm wondering if France is the same way and if it would really bounce back on Hollande that badly to nix the Mistral deal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Elotana posted:

What is the French public's temperature on the Ukrainian war? I know Germany has a vocal pro-Russian contingent (or at least pro-neutrality while bent on giving Putin every benefit of every doubt), but I'm wondering if France is the same way and if it would really bounce back on Hollande that badly to nix the Mistral deal.

I don't have numbers on-hand, but my understanding is that French opinion on things like sanctions is pretty divided. I don't think pulling the Mistral deal will sway a huge amount of French voters in and of itself, but defense contractors make for powerful enemies. Plus it's never fun for a politician when he or she gets blamed for potentially killing an entire sector of the economy.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Majorian posted:

Ukraine is game to you?!

Well played

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Present posted:

This map refers to Ukrainian forces as fascists, junta and ethnic cleansing squads. There's no references to the Russian army from my brief skimming. There's a sentence about how a Ukrainian plane was shot down as it was lining up to bomb a factory.

In other words, I would not trust this map at all.

Well our choices are between:
The "Official" UA map, very colorful but probably the least correct of them all
The UA live map, which goes with the "terrorist" lingo, flag waving and so on
This map, biased to the russian side instead but where the creator apparently got some info from the seperatists themselves occasionally.
Some other even more detailed russian made map but probably less correct too

(There is no unbiased map to pick from :ssh:)

Oh, funny thing but I watched a german documentary of some reporters inbedded with a volunteer battalion from the 24th of August (Cherson battalion?) and one of the Ukrainian soldiers there used a laminated copy of the "official" UA map as his apparent tactical map :psyduck:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 4, 2014

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Eastern Europe: Military Action Without Security Council Authorization

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Eastern Europe: Ukraine? No, Mykraine!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eastern Europe: Oh, Donetsk! Where the Vodka Flows Like Blood!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Eastern Europe: The Islamic State of Donbass and the Luhant.

How legitimate is the hashed portion? Have the Totally-Not-VDV made it that far west already?

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Eastern Europe: Putin's Dunkin' Donetsk

But seriously gas make new thread these thread titles are getting horrible.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Pimpmust posted:

Oh, funny thing but I watched a german documentary of some reporters inbedded with a volunteer battalion from the 24th of August (Cherson battalion?) and one of the Ukrainian soldiers there used a laminated copy of the "official" UA map as his apparent tactical map :psyduck:
Link to documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqTQ6m6xmg&hl=en&cc_lang_pref=en&cc_load_policy=1

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I like these:

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: The 2014 Tom Clancy Fanfiction Contest Thread

katlington posted:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Eastern Europe: This is not a thread about Eastern Europe

In non-Ukraine news, the Latvian parliamentary elections take place in a month's time and every political party is pretending to be both pro-business and social-democratic at the same time without actually uttering the latter. In comparison to previous elections, there's surprisingly little media coverage, as both the media and the is much more concerned with the security situation. I wish I had the time/indepth knowledge/skill to do an effortpost on the state of affairs, but unfortunately, I can't really do it justice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sergg posted:

Eastern Europe: Ukraine? No, Mykraine!

This gets 99% of my vote under suspicious circumstances condemned by international monitors!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eastern Europe: It is finally cool to be a Reaganite again

As far as Latvian elections, it mostly consists of trying to form a workable coalition without ethnically Russian voters?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 4, 2014

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Ardennes posted:

yes, yes, the west is villainously and belligerently violating russia's rightful sphere of influence, point taken.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dilbertschalter posted:

yes, yes, the west is villainously and belligerently violating russia's rightful sphere of influence, point taken.

I guess that was an attempt at a strawman, it didn't work so well.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

As far as Latvian elections, it mostly consists of trying to form a workable coalition without ethnically Russian voters?

No, not necessarily. As I understand it, pretty much every established party is in poor shape, especially the Harmony Centre (aka the major non-nationalist Russian party), which is suffering from an internal struggle within the party itself that's rooted mostly in their poor performance in the EP elections earlier this year and they risk alienating some of their nationalist leaning Russian voters due to that. Considering that, as well as the populists that have sprung up recently, it is much too early to talk about any coalitions at all.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Perhaps we should have two threads, one related to events in Ukraine and one related to hypothetical poo poo Russia might do in the future.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I have to say, Obama has great advisors and speech writers and he is extremely charismatic himself. His speech was even praised by Finnish analysts who said it will go down in history as one of the greatest speeches give in this region.

EDIT: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/09/obama-commitment-eastern-europe-russia-nato/379581/

I wish we had more leaders in Europe with balls.

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 4, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OhYeah posted:

I have to say, Obama has great advisors and speech writers and he is extremely charismatic himself. His speech was even praised by Finnish analysts who said it will go down in history as one of the greatest speeches give in this region.

EDIT: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/09/obama-commitment-eastern-europe-russia-nato/379581/

I mean seriously, I've been leading D&D to know the difference between campaign Obama and President Obama, but I don't care. All our politicians are equally disingenous but lack even the slightest shred of charisma. If you're going to gently caress me over, the least you can do is not bore me to tears while doing it. 99% of Finnish politicians look like they're either lecturing a class or lecturing a class and wanting to be anywhere else.

quote:

we have one

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 4, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhYeah posted:

I guess David Frum thinks so.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
Eastern Europe: A game of spheres

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

DarkCrawler posted:

we have one

Reminder that Putin is invading Ukraine because his criminal puppet president failed to adequately oppress them.

And when I say criminal, I mean he was literally a violent career criminal who served time in prison before he was president of Ukraine, not to mention his actions WHILE as president.

3peat
May 6, 2010

How european countries would be affected if Russia would cut off the gas for one, three, six or nine months.
http://euobserver.com/economic/125441

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sergg posted:

Reminder that Putin is invading Ukraine because his criminal puppet president failed to adequately oppress them.

And when I say criminal, I mean he was literally a violent career criminal who served time in prison before he was president of Ukraine, not to mention his actions WHILE as president.

Yeah, all of that shady poo poo on plain sight takes some serious brass

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

3peat posted:

How european countries would be affected if Russia would cut off the gas for one, three, six or nine months.
http://euobserver.com/economic/125441

These are always a tad alarmist and misleading. For example, while Finland's gas is 100% imported from Russia, it only accounts for less than 10% of the total energy production.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Eel hovercraft posted:

These are always a tad alarmist and misleading. For example, while Finland's gas is 100% imported from Russia, it only accounts for less than 10% of the total energy production.

I would like to invest in European shale fracking operations. :allears:

3peat
May 6, 2010

Eel hovercraft posted:

Yea, I remembered that only after I posted that thing, sorry

Anyway,

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Sweden wtf :psyduck:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Eel hovercraft posted:

Granted, gas supplies and energy production in many ways different things, a reduction in gas may not mean the lights go out but it could very well cause other issues. There was already a very long and tedious discussion about electrical heaters.

Anyway those numbers seem about right, although the support in Sweden versus the relative weak support in the US is surprising.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Article on that new NATO rapid reaction force:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/natos-new-rapid-reaction-force-is-make-believe-b79df44c126d

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Randandal posted:

Sweden wtf :psyduck:

Hey, they didn't get to be in the last war.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

There’s another joke. The only reason NATO has stayed together all these decades is that it doesn’t do anything. Its combat operations to date include small contingents in Afghanistan, some trainers in Iraq and a few fighter patrols over the Baltic.
Yeah, sure, if you forget about the Balkans (Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1994-2004, up to 60 000 troops; Kosovo, 1999-ongoing, up to 50 000 troops), anti-piracy missions along Somalia's coast (2009-ongoing, over 30 ships deployed over time), and air strikes in Libya (2011, nearly 10 000 combat sorties). And for the "small contingents" bit in Afghanistan, you kinda have to forget that the USA are a NATO country. But even then, non-US NATO troops are still about 25% of the force (US troops are about 66%, non-NATO troops the remainder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, that was a weird article. Like you could find all that out from Wikipedia, how did the author miss it?

And small contingents in Afghanistan? :psyduck: Afghanistan has been a bigger, deadlier and longer war then anything Russia has done since its independence. Some singular country contributions are as big or bigger then this whole rapid reaction force would be. Maybe the Georgians would pitch in this too :v: (of course they won't Jesus Christ)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 4, 2014

• Locked thread