Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rest in piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Stanos posted:

A good racket really, you bait people into taking a swing at you and then you sue the poo poo out of them. The speech is protected for the most part, assault isn't.

I've heard this many times (and have said it before myself) but is there any proof of this?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I've heard this many times (and have said it before myself) but is there any proof of this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/fred-phelps-ronald-reagan-lawsuit_n_4986046.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

http://www.ydr.com/ci_14780513

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/01/westboro_baptist_church_sues_st_charles_city_funeral_protests.php

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/westboro-baptist-church

http://boingboing.net/2011/02/22/westboro-baptist-chu.html

You can type 'WBC sues' into google and find a bevy of them. They sued anyone they could bully or thought they could win against.

EDIT: With the ACLU stepping in once in a while to protect their freedom of speech when cities/counties restricted it.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 23, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
You should always speak good of the dead.

He's dead. Good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

You should always speak good of the dead.

He's dead. Good.

quote:

TOPEKA, KS—Fred Phelps Sr., the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church and the man who is widely credited with forever ending the gay rights movement in America, died today at age 84.

According to biographers and historians, many of the facets of modern-day society that we now take for granted—such as the ban on gay marriage in all 50 states and the inability of homosexuals to serve in the military—can be traced back to Phelps’ vocal public crusades against the unholy practice of homosexuality, which he began in 1991 and which quickly succeeded in bringing efforts to expand LGBT rights to a spectacular and abrupt halt.

“What Fred Phelps accomplished over the past 30 years—from a federal constitutional amendment limiting marriage to one man and one woman, to nationwide laws allowing businesses to turn away gay customers—makes him easily one of the most successful and monumental figures of the past century,” said biographer Michael Ammons, noting that depictions of gays and lesbians began to disappear from popular culture and the media as soon as Phelps began taking his powerful rallies against homosexuality from state to state. “Fred Phelps devoted his life to one goal, and he triumphed. This was an incredibly influential man who deserved all the attention he received. Think of the legacy he leaves behind: In the past three decades, homosexuality has become practically nonexistent in society.”

“And his record goes on and on,” Ammons continued. “Just take a look around today: Nowhere in this country can same-sex partners enter into domestic partnerships, file joint tax returns, or adopt children. The unmitigated failure of the gay rights movement is something that can be singlehandedly attributed to Fred Phelps and his tireless efforts to show us that this was an unholy behavior.”

In addition to his enduring legislative legacy, experts agree that Phelps’ religious rallies also had an indelible impact on the American social landscape. Many have pointed to Phelps’ preaching against the sin of homosexuality as the overwhelming reason why all homosexual advocacy groups died out entirely in the early 1990s; why nobody in entertainment, politics, or professional sports has ever come out as gay or lesbian; and why citizens who do venture out of the closet feel nothing but ridicule and shame, knowing they are perversions who don’t deserve to exist.

Many historians also noted that Phelps was an outspoken voice on pro-life and pro-marriage matters, and that the current zero-percent rates of divorce and abortion in the United States can be entirely attributed to his powerful message.

“It’s sickening to think what would have happened to our country if Fred Phelps hadn’t succeeded. Just imagining the sin and depravity that would exist all around us if people went out in public with their same-sex partners, or publicly celebrated that perverse aspect of who they are—it’s disgusting, and I’m glad that’s not the world we live in,” said Seattle resident Christine Smith, one of hundreds of millions of Americans who was touched by Phelps’ charisma and was won over by the influential worldview of his Westboro Baptist Church. “But thankfully, Fred Phelps opened everyone’s eyes to the truth that homosexuality is a sin that God will vengefully punish, and we no longer have to deal with any of those vile people enjoying the same rights as you or me.”

“Fred Phelps may be gone, but he will long be remembered for the countless accomplishments and successes he achieved in his lifetime,” she added. “I can safely say that the name Fred Phelps will never, ever be forgotten, and that his entire life’s efforts—his very existence—was most certainly not in vain.”

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Christ please tell me that's the Onion article or something. I can't tell anymore.

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be

First Bass posted:

Christ please tell me that's the Onion article or something. I can't tell anymore.

It's an onion article, really.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Paxicon posted:

It's an onion article, really.

I'll admit that I had to check myself.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Stanos posted:

You can type 'WBC sues' into google and find a bevy of them. They sued anyone they could bully or thought they could win against.
Not enough to feed several families and send them all around the country. I'm sure Phelps Chartered had other business besides that. Not everyone can afford to be choosy about legal services.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
If their goal was to make money it didn't work.

quote:

Before the jury began deliberating the size of punitive damages, U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted the size of the compensatory award "far exceeds the net worth of the defendants," according to financial statements filed with the court.
The defense attorney said the assets of the church and the three defendants are less than a million dollars and the compensatory award is about three times the defendants' net worth, mainly in homes, cars and retirement accounts.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

A $4M net worth for an attorney who was disbarred and unable to work for 30 years and his uneducated, unemployed family seems like something was working. Most scam artists aren't Bernie Madoff, but four million dollars in property is doing pretty well for yourself.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

meat sweats posted:

A $4M net worth for an attorney who was disbarred and unable to work for 30 years and his uneducated, unemployed family seems like something was working. Most scam artists aren't Bernie Madoff, but four million dollars in property is doing pretty well for yourself.

Outside any discussion of attempts to scam it's flatly untrue that the Phelps family is uneducated and unemployed. All of them are degree'd and all of them hold down jobs. This veneer of respectability is one of the aspects of this family that makes them so incredibly frustrating.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

meat sweats posted:

$50,000 a year for 40 years would be $2,000,000 total, before taxes. Having a net worth of $4,000,000 is way more than most Americans will make in their lives let alone actually see.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

meat sweats posted:

Many of them are lawyers and those that aren't have jobs. They're not a bunch of hicks, they're regular people with insane beliefs.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 24, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't know, it seems like a perfectly legit scheme.

Freedom of Speech/Religion is protected, so they can go to funerals and picket them with their vile, inflammatory sentiments and any attempt to stifle them, or otherwise get rid of them probably isn't protected.

Instant lawsuit.

They're not uneducated hicks, and it's hard to imagine them not being aware of this distinction, what with them being attorneys themselves. It is safe to assume that even if they do actually hold these beliefs and it's not just some sort of scam, they're exploiting it for everything they're worth.

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.

Ddraig posted:

I don't know, it seems like a perfectly legit scheme.

Freedom of Speech/Religion is protected, so they can go to funerals and picket them with their vile, inflammatory sentiments and any attempt to stifle them, or otherwise get rid of them probably isn't protected.

Instant lawsuit.

They're not uneducated hicks, and it's hard to imagine them not being aware of this distinction, what with them being attorneys themselves. It is safe to assume that even if they do actually hold these beliefs and it's not just some sort of scam, they're exploiting it for everything they're worth.

I agree, I'd go as far as to say that, as horrible as the things he said were, the fact that they pulled this poo poo probably makes them worth it. Free speech needs to be tested constantly, and people need to learn the correct response to being faced with the absurd

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Many of them are lawyers and those that aren't have jobs. They're not a bunch of hicks, they're regular people with insane beliefs.

Well, they're savvy scam artists pretending to be a bunch of hicks. My point is that I can't find any evidence of WBC members existing outside the WBC. Yes, several of them have law degrees but they aren't "working as lawyers" other than to file suits on behalf of the WBC. There's no apparent income besides suing people for activities at WBC protests. If you've seen otherwise please share it, but that is what I've found.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Check the "Introduction" section at this link: http://blank.org/addict/

Fred Sr. insisted all his children obtain law degrees and work for Phelps Chartered. Law, however, didn't sit well with some of them. In other words, they couldn't hack it. Fred Jr. and Timothy both work at Shawnee Correctional Facility, near Topeka. Jonathan might as well, though last I was aware he remains a lawyer. Several of the daughters and granddaughters work as nurses or in elder/child care.

It's incredibly shortsighted to find a group - any group - that disagrees with you and just assume "dumb hicks."

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Well, to an extent, obviously anyone who legitimately has these beliefs is a dumb hick in spirit, but I'm arguing the opposite, that they don't really believe this and are running a scam. That's why I bring up the fact that there don't appear to be a lot of potential sources for the $4M net worth of the Phelps family besides their nuisance lawsuits.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha these people aren't hicks! They hold down jobs at a correctional facility!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

quote:

The Fred Phelps Onion article

I don't actually believe this is true, but a small part of me wants to believe this is a long troll.

Fred Phelps the civil rights attorney embarks on a 30 year plan to make homophobia a joke, doesn't let his shithead kids in on the plan, and gets excommunicated from his troll church when he comes clean on his deathbed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Like most folks, I sure couldn't stand him in life. But man. What a sad, bitter end to a sad, bitter life. Honestly, being a Christian myself, I hope he hits the other side better than he left this one. It always sounded like a miserable existence.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

You fight hate with liveable working wages and a proper, secular education.

To be fair, I would argue that you provide people with these things at least in part as an expression of your concern for the dignity and well being of all your fellows - as an expression of Love, in other words. But this isn't a Christian theology thread.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

meat sweats posted:

Well, to an extent, obviously anyone who legitimately has these beliefs is a dumb hick in spirit, but I'm arguing the opposite, that they don't really believe this and are running a scam. That's why I bring up the fact that there don't appear to be a lot of potential sources for the $4M net worth of the Phelps family besides their nuisance lawsuits.
There's record of Phelps-Chartered litigating a policeman's wrongful termination case in 2001, a county sheriff's wrongful termination complaint the same year, a post-divorce case in 2002 and an Indian adoption case in 2006. Very few court cases are ever published, but there is work out there for a family of mean-rear end lawyers who know their business.

If you believe Nate Phelps (and why not) Fred's issues went far deeper than just coming up with a money scam one day in his easy chair.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 25, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can't think of a better place to ask this and it's very off your topic sorry BUT someone tweeted this

sexism is inherent to the objectification of women.

and I wasn't sure I agreed and I also replied with

I’m tryin to work out if I agree with that statement though, not sure if I do.. surely there is non-sexist objectification?

what's the deal yo? is objectification inherently sexist? I love women and they are way better than men but I also love to look at they bods

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
gb2yospos

b1tch!!!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Farecoal posted:

gb2yospos

b1tch!!!

please dont iShame

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you

I fuckin hate it when you come to a bunch of people and you're like "I'm ignorant, help me understand why something that's obvious to you isn't to me" and they're like "if it's not obvious to you then you're either beyond hope or joking" and ignore it

occasionally someone stoops down to my level and gives me the insider knowledge, and then the world is a better place, but for some reason people are judged based on their ignorance as if they don't actually understand what ignorance even fuckin means.

"I've just informed myself about something that I don't even know exists" - some stoner once as a joke

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

occasionally someone stoops down to my level and gives me the insider knowledge, and then the world is a better place, but for some reason people are judged based on their ignorance as if they don't actually understand what ignorance even fuckin means.

Masons became the Fed.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the heck does the FBI have to do with bricks?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

echinopsis posted:

I fuckin hate it when you come to a bunch of people and you're like "I'm ignorant, help me understand why something that's obvious to you isn't to me" and they're like "if it's not obvious to you then you're either beyond hope or joking" and ignore it

you got punked by one guy how is this the entire subforum's fault

meat sweats posted:

My point is that I can't find any evidence of WBC members existing outside the WBC.

lol

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 22, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you got punked by one guy how is this the entire subforum's fault

Because you are one goon hive-mind? I require evidence of the contrary to disbelieve that

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's too bad he picketed the volunteer soldiers funerals for the wrong reason.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

echinopsis posted:

Because you are one goon hive-mind? I require evidence of the contrary to disbelieve that

one of us

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

lol look at this fucker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:ughh:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Fred may have been responsible for a lot of bad laws, but he also pushed shitloads of people over to the side of gay rights who otherwise probably wouldn't have given a poo poo because of his tactics. He's pretty much the epitome of a lovely, outdated viewpoint thrashing about in an ugly way before it dies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/fred-phelps-equality_n_5378433.html
Apparently, he may have had a change of heart near the end. some of the family think he was nice to some suicide prevention group and started rethinking his homophobia and then Steve drain took power.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

pengun101 posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/fred-phelps-equality_n_5378433.html
Apparently, he may have had a change of heart near the end. some of the family think he was nice to some suicide prevention group and started rethinking his homophobia and then Steve drain took power.

It'd be pretty loving funny if this post turned out to actually be true:

bitcoin bastard posted:

I don't actually believe this is true, but a small part of me wants to believe this is a long troll.

Fred Phelps the civil rights attorney embarks on a 30 year plan to make homophobia a joke, doesn't let his shithead kids in on the plan, and gets excommunicated from his troll church when he comes clean on his deathbed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

echinopsis posted:

Silenced for getting to close to the dark secret behind D&D...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

can't think of a better place to ask this and it's very off your topic sorry BUT someone tweeted this

sexism is inherent to the objectification of women.

and I wasn't sure I agreed and I also replied with

I’m tryin to work out if I agree with that statement though, not sure if I do.. surely there is non-sexist objectification?

what's the deal yo? is objectification inherently sexist? I love women and they are way better than men but I also love to look at they bods

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is the kind of poo poo I was talking about here :

echinopsis posted:

gently caress you

"I've just informed myself about something that I don't even know exists" - some stoner once as a joke

I am actually legit asking that question I got probated for.

I asked it in the marriage equality thread because I thought it was the most relevant thread to ask someone about sexism... Got told it wasns't appropriate so then I trawled through 4 or 5 pages of threads in D&D to find this thread which was barely on target but at least was dead enough. Do I really need to start an entire thread just to get an answer to the question? Jesus fuckin' christ

• Locked thread