Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's a pretty good writeup by a pilot on Wired about how he believes the most likely cause was a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Homeboy in the BTR is having some issues.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Needless to say, if you're junior enlisted and not General MacArthur it's not really enforced unless you're turbo stupid about it.

Didn't that one guy who went to the Ron Paul rally in uniform get burned? I remember it prompted all sorts of briefings about political activity in uniform. Then again, if you show up at a Ron Paul rally you're probably tubo stupid by default.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you mean this guy there's a good bit of difference between 'showing up' and 'speaking at the podium on national TV'. Also, IIRC you can't actively campaign in uniform, which it sounds like that guy was doing, and which again is well beyond simply showing up. Even then, it says all he got was a letter of reprimand; I'm not Army so I'm not positive but that hardly sounds like hard time or the brig.

A letter of reprimand can destroy your career if you're in the Army.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

because as a ten year e-4 his career was totally going places before that incident

Or it can act as a bar to reenlistment. Half of the guys in this unit survive on drill pay alone back home, so that'd probably ruin them.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 24, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

A theory I've heard a lot from some of the people I know who work for NSA/DISA contractors is Snowden was probably getting paid in one for or another by the Russians from the very start. Since the whole thing is playing out like the old days where the Soviets would both disgrace the CIA, pitting it against its own population and disgracing it internationally while still obtaining the info they wanted.

Wouldn't surprise me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Putin's cronies only like him because they've been able to profit largely off of him. Banning them from traveling to the US is obviously not going to do poo poo, but freezing their assets and forcing them to onshore their holdings into an increasingly volatile domestic market might actually change some opinions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Didnt someone actually get in trouble for violating opsec on the forums?

DefenseSupportParty posted a thread about his neato job as a nuclear detonation detect guy with the AF. He was brought in for questioning and basically had his life ruined, was given a medical discharge from the AF for depression, and eventually committed suicide.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can anyone imagine 50,000 troops at NTC? That'd be a clusterfuck and a half.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Don't the marines do a lot of war games around DC?

No, unless you count routine training at AP Hill or Pickett as "war games".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I believe Russia has experience with pogroms programs of that nature.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Germans feeling sympathetic toward nations conquering the territory of other countries to protect ethnic descendants? That's a new one.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Worked out well last time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah WTF is up with people in the West white-knighting Putin?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mambo italiano posted:

I'm honestly not trying to bait or derp. But can you provide examples? As I see it there are 2 theories; Obama has been screwed this whole time by congress and republican propaganda machine. Or Obama is a weak president and keeps going back on promises that he made during the election process.

Depends on what you're discussing: foreign or domestic policy. On the domestic front, he's been severely hampered by a recalcitrant Republican house whose only interest from day one was destroying him and his agenda. On the foreign policy front, he's really got nobody to blame but himself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mambo italiano posted:

Fair enough.it seemed He really lost faith with the rest of the world with the NSA spying scandal.

A lot of the "rage" is manufactured by foreign governments to distract from their own scandals. Anyone involved in the computer security industry has known about the NSA's involvement in the monitoring of domestic and foreign networks since 2006. And it's common knowledge that even allied governments spy on one another, so it's safe to assume that the intelligence agencies of developed nations have been aware of some of these capabilities for quite some time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mortabis posted:

There was no Republican house in 2009, or even 40 Republican senators. For his first two years in office, his opposition was other Democrats and he really only has himself to blame.

Actually he did manage to get a lot of his key legislation passed during the first two years, the ACA, the ARRA, and other stimulus bills being chief among them.

Snowdens Secret posted:

One could also argue that if someone hadn't sent the NSA batshit spying on domestic American citizens at a time when politicization of generally neutral agencies is sky high, none of this foreign spying stuff would've ever seen the light of day.

Are you trying to blame his foreign policy on George W. Bush, then? The USAPATRIOT ACT and FISA Amendments Act were both signed by Bush, and the advanced NSA spying programs (including Stuxnet and Flame) were developed under him. If you're trying to make the case that he shouldn't have allowed it to keep going, then realize that no president in history has given up the power earned by his predecessors. This doesn't absolve him, or any other president, of the blame, but nobody should have been surprised when Mr. Hope didn't give a poo poo that our spy agency was vacuuming up the entire world's internet traffic under two frameworks that made it perfectly legal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Did Americans come out in support of defending Canada?

I don't think we can stop the Russians at the pole ourselves. :canada:

Yes, but only to protect our foreign Maple Syrup and Tim Hortons interests.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AP just released a pretty big news story about USAID's clandestine involvement in the creation of a social media platform to undermine Cuba's government.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's been enough NDs here on BAF to convince me that military members should generally not be allowed near firearms.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently someone at KAF NDed into someone's chest with a shotgun at the DFAC.

My battalion alone has had 6 NDs so far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't know about issuing weapons but I am fully for Army personnel on domestic bases being required to wear full SAPI plate, helmet, eyepro at all times (plus reflective belts)

You left gloves off that list there, trooper. Gotta practice good hand safety.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Don't the Poles have a pretty decent military? I thought I remembered reading that they punch a bit above their weight.

According to Wikipedia they have 120,000 active members and another 515,000 reservists and their budget is 1.95% of GDP, which is higher than Canada or Australia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One of the things to take into consideration with Poland is that not only is their military an all-volunteer force, but they're substantially better trained than their Russian counterparts (whose ranks are largely conscripted).

Obviously they're not on the same level as say, France, but they're certainly not Georgia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Better just go ahead and merge this thread and the Clancy thread.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

Wait, how does a country have both a prime minister AND a president? I thought it was always one or the other.

Plenty of countries split the executive function: Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Austria, and Poland to name a few.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

You just wrote the plot summary for the next big horror movie. Call it "Citation Needed".

Starring Ashton Kutcher.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/462152271955230720

lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It should all be regulated as a utility anyway, due to the fact that not having access to some kind of broadband connection puts individuals at a severe economic disadvantage these days.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of small and medium sized municipalities have been investing in their own fiber infrastructures in recent years, whether it be by buying up existing dark-fiber lines, or building new ones. With population densities increasing in all types of cities due to the general trend of ubanization, I don't think it's too far-fetched to predict that we'll begin to see low-cost, public fiber popping up all around the country. This was actually one of the things Google was hoping to spark, and it looks like it's beginning to take traction.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm so glad we're on the topic of academia, because I'm sure everyone here will totally agree with universities posting trigger warnings in syllabi about such violent pieces as "The Merchant of Venice" and "The Great Gatsby."

quote:

At Oberlin College in Ohio, a draft guide was circulated that would have asked professors to put trigger warnings in their syllabuses. The guide said they should flag anything that might “disrupt a student’s learning” and “cause trauma,” including anything that would suggest the inferiority of anyone who is transgender (a form of discrimination known as cissexism) or who uses a wheelchair (or ableism).

“Be aware of racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, cissexism, ableism, and other issues of privilege and oppression,” the guide said. “Realize that all forms of violence are traumatic, and that your students have lives before and outside your classroom, experiences you may not expect or understand.” For example, it said, while “Things Fall Apart” by Chinua Achebe — a novel set in colonial-era Nigeria — is a “triumph of literature that everyone in the world should read,” it could “trigger readers who have experienced racism, colonialism, religious persecution, violence, suicide and more.”

I had to quadruple check that this article wasn't some kind of parody, because Poe's law is in full force here.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 20, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tide posted:

Apparently, they can't grasp that they could work while going to school and take a lower course load and graduate in 6 years instead of 4.

This is a statement that is not supported by math.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tide posted:

There's some hypocrisy (and luck) there, I'll admit, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong with everything else.

You're right, it doesn't, but it also doesn't make you qualified to make blanket generalizations about how everyone could pay for college if they just knuckled down and chose to worked at a high paying job that only requires a high school education and also leaves time to complete coursework. I had my tuition paid for by the government, but even stringing together 20-25 hours a week between 3 above-minimum-wage part time jobs and my ROTC stipend was barely more than enough to pay for rent and food.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 20, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

What kind of scrub takes a ROTC deal that doesn't include a dorm room and meal plan

The only college I know of that does that is the lovely college in my hometown. Not even UMD does that, or at least they didn't when I was shopping around for schools.

e: I tried searching around for some ROI comparisons between undergraduate and graduate. Graduate tuition and debt have also risen substantially, but I'm curious to see the actual value compared to the debt incurred. I have noticed that (in my field) having a master's degree will definitely still make you stand out if you have applicable work experience.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 21, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wonder if it would make more sense to fold the VA healthcare into the existing ACA/medicaid programs that seem to have a better (but far from perfect) track record and a wider geographic coverage area.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The former director of the KGB is alleging that Edward Snowden is cooperating with Russian Intelligence. The dude is an avid critic of Putin, so grain of salt, etc.; but then again lol if anyone thinks Snowden's asylum status came with no strings attached.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Like glacially slow.

Fortunately, the Tea Party stance on climate change has ensured a future revision of that very adjective.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So our old pal Edward Snowden is now proclaiming that he was a trained and seasoned intelligence officer for the CIA, NSA, and DIA.

So, let's suspend our disbelief for a second. Assuming this is true, wouldn't that completely undermine his original story of "IT guy exposing the wrongdoings of the government" and instead replace it with "former spy complicit in said acts who outed himself for no apparent reason?" And doesn't the crowd that he panders to loving hate spies?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Well, his description of his "spy" work essentially boils down to 'IT guy stealing everyone's internets while pretending to be IT guy not stealing everyone's internets'. So... by that description everyone in the NSA is a spy, because they are covertly spying on your computer. He's not claiming to be a field agent or anything.

quote:

"I was trained as a spy in sort of the traditional sense of the word in that I lived and worked undercover overseas -- pretending to work in a job that I'm not -- and even being assigned a name that was not mine," Snowden said in an interview with NBC News, a portion of which aired Tuesday. The full interview will air Wednesday evening.
. . .
"I've worked for the Central Intelligence Agency undercover overseas, I've worked for the National Security Agency undercover overseas and I've worked for the Defense Intelligence Agency as a lecturer at the Joint Counterintelligence Training Academy where I developed sources and methods for keeping our information and people secure in the most hostile and dangerous environments around the world," Snowden said.

Sounds a lot like he's trying to claim he was in the field to me. I mean, I'm fairly certain it's all bullshit anyway, but I'm surprised that this dude is so adamant about proving his spy cred to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Right, but in the "field" as an IT guy. Not James Bond or anything, which is the idea most people get when you say you're a "spy". I'm sure all these organizations have plenty of IT people sent out to work on vacuuming the internet, what with pretty much all intelligence these days being data based. And of course for counterintel IT stuff, which when you get right down to it is just hunting malware and closing holes hackers could use. But it sounds cooler if you call it counterintelligence.

I can't speak to the offensive part, but an IT person, specifically someone as "advanced" as he claims to be, wouldn't call that counterintelligence, they'd call it security engineering or computer network defense. It seems like an issue of semantics, but it actually provides some insight into his background (or lack thereof).

• Locked thread