Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He ran out of room to write "Google: Ron Paul".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What are the odds of Snowden pulling a David Carradine?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Example of turbo stupid:

Mega stupid:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

A theory I've heard a lot from some of the people I know who work for NSA/DISA contractors is Snowden was probably getting paid in one for or another by the Russians from the very start. Since the whole thing is playing out like the old days where the Soviets would both disgrace the CIA, pitting it against its own population and disgracing it internationally while still obtaining the info they wanted.
All while getting treated like a hero by sheltered internet morons.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mortabis posted:

As far as I can tell "sanctions" amounts to the same thing as sticking a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker on your car.
Except sanctions disrupt Putin's ability to meet national goals. If most outside investment into Russia gets cut off things are going to get a lot harder for everyone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Oh really? How are coming to that conclusion? Because so far this seems to be working REALLY loving well.
If seems like they're just trying to save face at this point. If they're willing to stall everything else they have going on to save face that seems pretty loving stupid to me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

Putin's cronies only like him because they've been able to profit largely off of him. Banning them from traveling to the US is obviously not going to do poo poo, but freezing their assets and forcing them to onshore their holdings into an increasingly volatile domestic market might actually change some opinions.
Now if the EU would get on board with the travel ban that would be pretty masterful. Of course they can still travel to shitbag paradises like Dubai and Macau, but that's going to get boring after a while.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

DefenseSupportParty posted a thread about his neato job as a nuclear detonation detect guy with the AF. He was brought in for questioning and basically had his life ruined, was given a medical discharge from the AF for depression, and eventually committed suicide.
I don't recall anything about him committing suicide.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i hear their hazing rituals consist of edge dressing and anuses
Butt chugging.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Russian children.
I don't think Russian children have much of a future.

Citations: Youtube

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hopefully there isn't some queer/weabo lobby in 10 years time to advocate for the Mannings and Snowdens off the world.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Not USAID.
If people think USAID is involved in these things they're not going to be allowed to work in other countries.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Back around the time I was working at the bombing range they were conducting a combat arms class and some female instructor somehow got her hand in front of somebody's weapon and it got shot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jonad posted:

I wonder how well the procurement process goes in country who's largest industry is bribery.
I read somewhere that environmental groups like to joke that corruption has done wonders to preserve the Siberian forests.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since that chick is in Maricopa County, I'm gonna go ahead and assume she's having an other-than-good time in jail.
It's not really female :ssh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think she ought to be Manning up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some local SJWs have decided to open a social justice cafe in town. They might have had a shot if it was over by any of the colleges (Well there is a ripoff for-profit school over there with a bunch of unaccredited programs), but it's not so it'll probably crash and burn pretty quickly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Do they have a website

I'm sure its hilarious
Sort of

Back in January the proprietor of an import store who thought herself pretty forward thinking thought a good way to celebrate MLK day would be to declare a 25% off sale on "everything black". That was until it got blown out of proportion on social media and she got swarmed by SJWs telling her what an awful bitch she was for some reason or another.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mortabis posted:

This may be outside the scope of this thread, but I don't really agree with that; I can afford my own health insurance, and I don't see why other people should have pay for it for me. Maybe for people who can't afford it, sure.
You are correct. The opinions of dipshit libertarians who couldn't hack it in ROTC are indeed outside the scope of this thread.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Even if we had irrefutable evidence that he was always spying for the Russians it wouldn't slow down his cheerleaders a bit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I anticipate more spies will probably claim whistleblower status in tone future so idiots will declare them heroes, and bog everything down.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Like glacially slow.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the dude is just a little irritated that people keep trying to dismiss him as some low-level Geek Squad IT flunky while also saying that he caused irreparable damage to our national security.
That's probably the case. Manning has FAS and managed to steal a bunch of poo poo, the system is just that incompetent.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Retard Boy Extraordinaire Bowe Bergdahl has been freed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Good thing we hand out promotions instead of firing squads for desertion these days.
Good people probably died trying till get dipshit back. I hope he gets a dishonorable discharge maybe next time he goes for a hike it will be off a cliff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JSARSOM posted:

No clue if true, but apparently this guy was in his squad:
https://twitter.com/CodyFNfootball
Perhaps he should have found a better medium than twitter, like any other one, really.

This on the other hand is pretty priceless.

CodyFNfootball posted:

That's me in front of it. (Excuse me for being American) inside we made a bench out of sandbags to sit on behind an M240B.
In reference to that photo.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 1, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The image of him crawling around in the weeds while Afghan children look on puzzled reinforces what I already thought about him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I really hope that's more for him suing Rolling Stone for the poo poo they put in their story.
He's acting concerned that the current administration will get him because that's what "they" do apparently. That's probably some reference to Dinesh D'Souza.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Why the gently caress would he put this poo poo all over twitter instead of getting with a lawyer and a journalist if he wants to get the ~real story~ out.
Because he's a millenial idiot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know about all of that. I don't get an Obummer vibe from him at all. He hasn't made any statements accusing the administration of anything super fishy. He's just stating his observations of a dumb gently caress private that is contrary to the line being fed to the media that he guys is some all American hero patriot.
uhhh...

CodyFNfootball posted:

All politics aside I think we can reasonably agree if you get on the wrong side of the current admin, they can and will strike you down.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

That's not the same thing as saying the Administration is some sort of terrorist sponsoring, America hating, Islamic regime which is the typical Obummer type stance.
He's implying that the administration is going to get him for saying these things, and that doing so is routine for them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

That's exactly my point. The idea that someone is worried about retaliation from an adminstration because they are contradicting their message isn't really freeper madness.
I've yet to hear about this administration or the preceding one go after any idiot from twitter. He sounds like the kind of crybaby who think Dinesh D'Souza was prosecuted for being a critic of the president, and not because he broke campaign finance law.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Has anyone published a who's who of the guys we released to get this idiot back? I can only assume they're relatively high level guys.
From here

BBC posted:

The five released inmates had all been held at Guantanamo since 2002

Mohammad Fazl served as the Taliban's deputy defence minister during America's military campaign in 2001. Accused of possible war crimes, including the murder of thousands of Shia Muslims.

Khirullah Khairkhwa was a senior Taliban official serving as interior minister and governor of Herat, Afghanistan's third largest city. Alleged to have had direct links to Osama Bin Laden.

Abdul Haq Wasiq was the Taliban's deputy minister of intelligence. Said to have been central in forming alliances with other Islamist groups to fight against US and coalition forces.

Mullah Norullah Noori was a senior Taliban military commander and a governor. Also accused of being involved in the mass killings of Shia Muslims.

Mohammad Nabi Omari held multiple Taliban leadership roles, including chief of security. Alleged to have been involved in attacks against US and coalition forces.

Qatar has made security guarantees about them for what that's worth, the only one that I've been able to find is that they're not allowed to leave Qatar for at least a year. It'd be kind of hard to speculate on what their chances recidivism are, but after 12 years in prison I doubt they'll find themselves back in decision making roles within the Taliban.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Is he even really contradicting the administration line, though? I feel like the government has been pretty careful to not really paint him as this all-American hero and more of a "we never leave one of our guys behind," which is still a somewhat understandable response to a deserter.
He's not really contradicting the administration, just being a paranoid idiot.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 1, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NPR has a more thorough bio on each of the prisoners.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Imagine Marlon Brando in the latter half of The Godfather, that's what these guys are going to be like.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

^^^The idiot behind The Innocence of Muslims

Snowdens Secret posted:

E: ok youtube but you get the joke
Idiots wanted to defend him too despite a lengthy criminal history and violation of his probation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

the idiot, is u
Then how come the mussulmen don't want to kill me?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Being an idiot and lawbreaker and being a political target who was urgently arrested to underscore a narrative the administration was spinning are not mutually exclusive concepts.
The probation violation arrest came after it was revealed who was behind it, were they supposed to ignore that information? You'll notice Terry Jones wasn't arrested for his actions.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CNN published a story about the chilly reception Bergdahl is getting from vets online.

Just to clarify I think getting him back was the right thing to do, and losing 5 irrelevent broken Talibs isn't a big deal. Seriously, look at the amount of prisoners Israel is willing to swap for one of their soldiers. Right wingers are always so keen to talk about how good Israel's antiterrorism model is and how we should be emulating it :laugh:.

After 5 years I'd agree that Bergdahl has probably suffered enough, however he doesn't deserve to come out of this with an honorable discharge, or benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Legally I think might be hard to make stick. Same goes for proving he aided the enemy outside of a confession.

• Locked thread