Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Cool, Grover's name is gone from the OP.

Also haha, people are claiming that the flight data recorder was sabotaged. HAHAHA holy gently caress the :tinfoil: gets deeper and deeper.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/03/21/tsr-dnt-jones-data-recorder-blank-box-theory.cnn.html

CNN has had a really hard time concealing their turgid,throbbing, blue vein pantsbuster over MH370. They have been running with every new batshit theory about the plane, breathlessly reporting it as BREAKING NEWS.

Wolf Blitzer stood in front of a green screen and moved his hands around a poorly modeled CGI plane to explain what a transponder is, but all it made me think of was Insane Clown Posse's "Miracles" video. If the segment had been titled "loving Transponders, How Do They Work?" and Blitzer had been spraying Faygo everywhere, it would have fit right in. They've also had some poor bastard reporting from the cockpit of a flight simulator for like the past four days- the amount of poo poo content wrapped up in farcical hyperbole is purely breathtaking and makes TMZ look like the goddamn New York Times.

The Aviationist has had some pretty decent written coverage, but man, CNN has just been terrible. Ukraine has barely gotten a mention in the past few days, and Syria has completely fallen off the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

JSARSOM posted:

Yeah isn't this the primary reason affiliation with these aid agencies pretty much kills any chance at a security clearance.

There are more than a few positions at USAID that require a TS clearance, I've even heard that some people had to get SCI as well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Operation American Spring

lol. Good to see the summer crazy people season is starting early for DC.

Hope this turns out to be like that Truckers' Ride for the Constitution where I was promised big rigs blocking every street in DC and instead got the usual 495 traffic.

That being said, I'd love to see the Million Rascal Scooter Caravan.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Koesj posted:

Can't remember which operator sent me a text but it was p weird anyway because my phone was lying on a shelf in Khasab for the whole day, and mainland Iran/Qushm Island is more than 50km away on the other side of the strait :shrug:

e: looks like it was du being flaky with a "have a great stay in Iran" message :v:

When I was hiking in the Sinai Peninsula, I got text messages welcoming me to Saudi Arabia and Jordan on my phone- despite them being like 20 miles away across the Gulf of Aqaba. Cell carriers are weird.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Who was going to stop him, and how would they do it? Dude had a passport and money to travel. Not much that can really be done to protect someone from themselves in this situation.

IIRC, the first time he tried to enter Syria, he got busted by the Turks and deported.

In all likelihood, Caro is probably dead or in a position where he wishes he was. Looking back on his videos from Libya, that civil war seems like a backyard airsoft game compared to Syria's.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

If history teaches me one thing it's that the Kurds are going to get screwed somehow.

Dunno about that, the Kurds have been doing pretty well for themselves lately. The KRG is a pretty stable place (not just compared to Iraq in general) and even Turkey seems to be leaving them mostly alone. Also, unlike the Iraqi Army, the Peshmerga are one of the very few forces in that country who are somewhat professional, ideologically motivated, and won't abruptly drop their weapons at the first sign of trouble.

If ISIS tries to push north, they're in for a bigger fight than the IA can throw at them. I'd also expect the Kurds to make a few plays in Arbil and Sulaymaniyah, but I don't think they'll really make a huge grab and piss off what's left of the Iraqi government or Turkey.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crosspost from the D&D Middle East thread:

Here's the relevant part of the Islamic State's English press release:

quote:

Therefore, the shūrā (consultation) council of the Islamic State studied this matter after the Islamic State
– by Allah’s grace – gained the essentials necessary for khilāfah, which the Muslims are sinful for if they
do not try to establish. In light of the fact that the Islamic State has no shar’ī (legal) constraint or excuse
that can justify delaying or neglecting the establishment of the khilāfah such that it would not be sinful,
the Islamic State – represented by ahlul-halli-wal-‘aqd (its people of authority), consisting of its senior
figures, leaders, and the shūrā council – resolved to announce the establishment of the Islamic khilāfah,
the appointment of a khalīfah for the Muslims, and the pledge of allegiance to the shaykh (sheikh), the
mujāhid, the scholar who practices what he preaches, the worshipper, the leader, the warrior, the reviver,
descendent from the family of the Prophet, the slave of Allah, Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Awwād Ibn Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Alī
Ibn Muhammad al-Badrī al-Hāshimī al-Husaynī al-Qurashī by lineage, as-Sāmurrā’ī by birth and
upbringing, al-Baghdādī by residence and scholarship. And he has accepted the bay’ah (pledge of
allegiance). Thus, he is the imam and khalīfah for the Muslims everywhere. Accordingly, the “Iraq and
Shām” in the name of the Islamic State is henceforth removed from all official deliberations and
communications, and the official name is the Islamic State from the date of this declaration.

We clarify to the Muslims that with this declaration of khilāfah, it is incumbent upon all Muslims to pledge
allegiance to the khalīfah Ibrāhīm and support him (may Allah preserve him). The legality of all emirates,
groups, states, and organizations, becomes null by the expansion of the khilāfah’s authority and arrival of
its troops to their areas. Imam Ahmad (may Allah have mercy upon him) said, as reported by ‘Abdūs Ibn
Mālik al-‘Attār, “It is not permissible for anyone who believes in Allah to sleep without considering as
his leader whoever conquers them by the sword until he becomes khalīfah and is called Amīrul-Mu’minīn
(the leader of the believers), whether this leader is righteous or sinful.”

For the TLDR crowd:

1. ISIS' shura council believes that the legal conditions regarding the establishment of a Caliphate have been met.
2. "Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Awwād Ibn Ibrāhīm Ibn ‘Alī Ibn Muhammad al-Badrī al-Hāshimī al-Husaynī al-Qurashī" is the name of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, who is now the leader of the Ummah (global community of Muslims, particularly the Sunnis.)
3. All Muslims are required to pledge bay'ah (allegiance) to him.
4. ISIS has dropped the last "IS" from its name- it's now just the Islamic State.

This is Serious Business, and it's really going to be interesting to see how all of the other jihadist groups (i.e. Al-Qaeda Central, AQAP, JN, etc) react to this. Baghdadi et al just threw down the gauntlet, let's see who picks it up.

Edit: Another relevant bit-

quote:

As for you, O soldiers of the platoons and organizations, know that after this consolidation and the
establishment of the khilāfah, the legality of your groups and organizations has become invalid. It is not
permissible for a single person of you who believes in Allah to sleep without having walā’ (loyalty) to the
khalīfah. If your leaders whisper to you claiming it is not a khilāfah, then remember how long they
whispered to you claiming that it was not a state but rather a fictional, cardboard entity, until its certain
news reached you. It is a state. Its news will continue to reach you showing that it is a khilāfah, even if
after time.

IS also just declared that every other jihadist group is now beholden to them.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 29, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So apparently a Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 either crashed or was just shot down in eastern Ukraine near the Russian border. No real confirmation yet, but it's looking bad.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/official-malaysian-plane-shot-down-over-ukraine

quote:

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — An adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister says a Malaysian passenger plane carrying 295 people has been shot down over a town in the east of the country.

Anton Gerashenko says on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) when it was hit Thursday by a missile fired from a Buk launcher.

A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, CNN is probably salivating because they've got another missing Malaysian plane that someone will eventually find, and they can reuse all those snazzy graphics they had during the MH370 search.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jesus, those pictures :(

Would it be reasonable to assume that the passengers didn't suffer? I'm hoping everyone got knocked out or otherwise had their lights flicked out before they knew what was happening.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Israeli ground offensive into Gaza just began.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So much like the other notable false flags of Newtown, 9/11 and the Boston bombings, the corpses in the MH17 crash were already dead days before the plane went down.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Israeli Police just stormed the Al Aqsa mosque. It's going to be an interesting week.

EDIT: On a second watch, it looks like they were just clearing the courtyard around the mosque, and the video is a day and a half old.

That poo poo happens like every other week for various reasons, either because of Palestinian crap or Israeli hardliners with a boner for Kahane. Just another drop in the Third Intifada bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Reuters is too nice to point out those 'Sinai militants' are Hamas and/or their close allies. Surely somebody is going to do something about all this North African Islamist mess?

No, Hamas isn't involved in Egypt like this, and the people loving poo poo up in Egypt like Ajnad Masr or Ansar Beit al-Maqdis aren't really allies of Hamas, but probably closer to their enemies. Recall in 2009 that a jihadist group deemed Hamas too moderate and tried to declare an emirate in Gaza, and Hamas' response was to kill most, if not all, of them. There are lots of assholes in Gaza and elsewhere in North Africa who make Hamas look like the incompetent militia that they are in terms of their aspirations or capabilities.

• Locked thread