Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

Considering how they lost so many air assets when that airbase was taken over, too, I'm rather surprised they didn't try to redistribute things to safe locations when it became clear that they weren't likely to hold on to Crimea.

I don't know how much of it was ready to get underway at a moments notice, or was even air/seaworthy. Remember that Ukraine is easily one of the most corrupt countries in Europe, that usually doesn't bode well for military preparedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Twitter's lighting up with pics and vids of Russian MBTs and heavy equipment moving under their own power, some of it supposedly right at the Russia / Ukraine / Belarus border, not far from Kiev. Previously the heavy stuff was being moved around by train. Not sure how big a deal this is just yet.

If Putin decides to invade Western Ukraine in spite of the fact that the US/EU response will be to collapse Russia's economy and steal all of his friends' money, I have to wonder how secure his place at the top really is.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

On a lighter note, someone called this the other day

http://beregrus.ru/?p=2282

Heh. Dude should probably stop washing down his borscht with sterno.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

So when do we get to see badass Cossacks with awesome hats and staches riding into battle against tanks?

Cossacks are Putin's bully-boys. I remember he deployed them to Voronezh after some bombs went off. Big assholes with clubs and dogs smacking down anything bearded or brown.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
In my life I've never seen a country bring 50,000 troops to a state of readiness unless they were going somewhere.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Don't the marines do a lot of war games around DC?

They do them in Minneapolis around the Mississippi River from time to time. Every now and then I get paid OT to park my ambulance, turn on the lights, and then read my phone until they want me to pretend to pick someone up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

^^^ I haven't seen anything about it but this mentions Afghanistan:

Chalk this up as another of the many, many things getting neglected by State while they focus on Israel / Palestine talks that will never go anywhere:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/world/asia/years-after-obama-hailed-warming-ties-with-india-the-temperature-has-fallen.html

It looks pretty likely that the next Indian Prime Minister is going to be a guy we've routinely denied a visa to, so I wouldn't expect him to go out of his way to boost relations.

Looks like Abbas started acting too much like the leader of a real nation with real interests and scotched the talks before Pollard got to taste any of that sweet, sweet Israeli air:

quote:

Abbas Takes Defiant Step, and Mideast Talks Falter

JERUSALEM — The Middle East peace talks verged on a breakdown Tuesday night, after President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority defied the United States and Israel by taking concrete steps to join 15 international agencies — a move to gain the benefits of statehood outside the negotiations process.

Mr. Abbas’s actions, which appeared to catch American and Israeli officials by surprise, prompted Secretary of State John Kerry to cancel a planned return to the region on Wednesday, in which he had expected to complete an agreement extending negotiations through 2015.

In that emerging deal, the United States would release an American convicted of spying for Israel more than 25 years ago, while Israel would free hundreds of Palestinian prisoners and slow down construction of Jewish settlements in the West Bank.

What a lovely deal. gently caress Pollard, I'm glad that Abbas kicked these pointless talks in the balls.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Did Americans come out in support of defending Canada?

I don't think we can stop the Russians at the pole ourselves. :canada:

Anyone getting a significant invasion force anywhere near North America is gonna get nuked.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

Before you added the link, I thought the idea of Venetian separatists with a tank was a story a day late, but googled it and got:

Killdozer II

That is the most half-assed killdozer I've ever seen. Marvin Heemeyer would be rolling over in his grave if he knew that crazies have fallen so far.

MrYenko posted:

Shelter in place is a brilliant plan, if by place, you mean armory, and by shelter, you mean gear up and go rear end in a top hat-hunting.

*Ft. Hood destroyed by jumpy grunts shooting everything that moves.

Probably would look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgkFe5HYqY0

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 3, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mstrkrft posted:

They'll be given nerf guns until proven they can handle live firearms.

Going to be a lot of dudes walking around warzones armed with the N-Strike Elite Rayven.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Operation American Spring

lol. Good to see the summer crazy people season is starting early for DC.

Keep a photo album. You can show your kids how hosed-up politics in our time was.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Poles want two brigades stationed in Poland so I guess they're ready to come up with something.

Don't the Poles have a pretty decent military? I thought I remembered reading that they punch a bit above their weight.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Just taking Japan as an example, though, the text isn't that different:

Short of some pretty wild circumstances we would most definitely get involved in a fight between China and Japan. Ukraine is a corrupt backwater that we have zero strategic interest in, Japan is a major East Asian ally. Though you're right in that the treaty doesn't automatically commit us to Japan's defense in the same way that NATO does.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Why would it be stupid? Who's going to stop him?

Because we would steal all of his friends' money and crush Russia's economy. Even Europe would stop being candy-rear end bitches when the Russian Army is bumping up along Poland's border.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Still better than the F-35

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I wish wikipedia were always right, then I could edit it and change reality.

I would just delete everything if that were the case.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Courthouse posted:

Has anyone posted on Boko Haram kidnapping 200 schoolgirls and intending to sell them into slavery? Seems like a decent candidate for the west riding to the rescue and getting us stuck in another quagmire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjprq67kYI

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Courthouse posted:

Well the schoolgirls are christian, and the kidnappers are muslim, does that count?

I spared them a sympathetic thought and a hope that they can find a way to escape which is probably about as much as anyone, anywhere is going to do.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/08/dover-air-force-base-lockdown/8852129/

Looks like someone's shooting up Dover because as is AF tradition, they just can't let the Army keep something to themselves

tbh, we should just fold them back into the Army. Bring back the USAAF and then hold both services to a stricter fitness standard b/c push-ups at dawn will save America.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I think something broke in me when I stopped being affected by having to shove a q-tip up a dude's urethra. I lost something precious that day, and now I'm dead inside.

Welcome to medicine. It's infected pee holes all the way down.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Worse thing was that homes had to wander around Yemen with half a haircut for the next couple weeks while everything was on lockdown.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

in 20 years time will transracial people be the next big thing?

Transhuman. My true form is a brain floating in a tank which is connected to a killbot of some sort.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r95a3p8Os-w :colbert:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

krispykremessuck posted:

nuke the earth

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

after afghanistan I tried getting sleep meds and the psychologist told me that my experiences made me a stronger person and then just sent me away. lmao.

If Jack Daniels and sleeping with a gun under his pillow is good enough for Audie Murphy, then it's good enough for you.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

One of my company commanders no poo poo kept photos of Audie Murphy and John Wayne on the wall of his office. He was a little off...

John Wayne would be less weird because you could always just say that you're a big fan of Hondo or some poo poo, but the two together should scare shitless anyone under his command.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mister Sinewave posted:

:canada: news: Senator Romeo Dallaire will be retiring (e: in part due to ongoing PTSD)

You may remember him as the Force Commander for UNAMIR - UN's peacekeeping mission in Rwanda. He found himself in the middle of not only a genocide but a civil war, receiving no support and being cock-blocked at every turn in every attempt to control the situation.

He wrote Shake Hands with the Devil as a memoir of it and this longish article today is a pretty good summary.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/profile-romeo-dallaires-peacekeeping-nightmare

I remember on one occasion he unloaded his sidearm and gave his ammo to his aide before a meeting, because he couldn't trust himself to not just plug everyone at the table. He was tempted more than once in this way. It had it all. Horrible bureaucracy, accountant nickle-and-diming (why the gently caress is the fax machine not working? Accountant disabled it because it costs too much), shitbags sabotaging their own vehicles - they only had a few working ones - so they wouldn't have to leave base, expired MREs for three meals a day (and when the got to the German ones they stank to high heaven), and so on.

I read his book. It was my first, tentative step down the road to giving up on people.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BaconAndBullets posted:

Hopefully we can find out everything about his captivity but more importantly what led to his capture(?).

I thought that he freaked out and decided to just walk the hell away from his base out into Afghanistan and got himself caught.

That actually reminds me of a pretty decent book by Tim O'Brien.

Going After Cacciato.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HClChicken posted:

There are currently 0 american military held captive in Afghanistan now.
http://time.com/2803616/bowe-bergdahl-american-afghanistan-returned/

At first I was kinda pleased that this dude is home. But there's still so much hate out there for what he did and the people who died saving him. He made a really dumb and stupid mistake that should have gotten him killed but instead others were killed. He's had to deal with 5 years of captivity and I'm positive some torture. This guy is going to be hosed up and there's really nothing I can say that would be worse than what he dealt with.

They'll pin a medal on him and give him his back pay and then muster him out. If he's smart he'll move to some small place in the middle of nowhere and refuse all interview requests.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JSARSOM posted:

No clue if true, but apparently this guy was in his squad:
https://twitter.com/CodyFNfootball

This guy rules.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dude says manbabies too much.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

A masters in buttrape and goat husbandry.

Minor in chemistry with an emphasis on cooking meth.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LongDarkNight posted:

That twitter guy has apparently done a bunch of interviews about Bergdahl and newspaper articles should be hitting stands tomorrow, WaPo, NYT, WSJ. He's also on Fox News tonight with Megan Kelly.

I heard him on NPR earlier.

Casimir Radon posted:

Then he got all upset when Owen Wilson played a much more competent fictionalized version of himself in Behind Enemy Lines, because he disobeyed orders and used swear words.

Realtalk? I would be livid if Owen Wilson were cast as me in a movie about me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Enigma89 posted:

Question for GiP dudes but if a guy writes a note and renounces his citizenship and bails then why bother chasing after him. It wasn't like he was some General that has a bunch of secrets. gently caress him let him go? Or is there a real reason about getting him just for justice purposes?

Because letting one of our own get slaughtered by the Taliban is bad politics, even if he is a loving idiot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That's still the bravest thing that I've ever seen anyone do.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Courthouse posted:

So Putin has decided he didn't want those Ukrainians anyway? Just wanted a diversion he could hype up and then back down from so people would forget Crimea?

He sliced himself a huge piece of cake and more or less got away with it, unless something goes sideways I think he's decided to quit while he's ahead.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

No, the actual stated purpose of prisons in the United States is to rehabilitate the prisoners. In practice, this almost never happens because many Americans like their prisons to be torture facilities for inmates, but it's the core goal of other modern nations' prison systems.

The purpose of Gitmo is not rehabilitation. It's a place that we wring people for information and then throw them in a cell and forget about them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

True. Barack Obama walks on water. He definitely didn't gently caress up.

Compared to Bergdahl getting to make his own Danny Pearl video? Five dried-up Taliban cunts for one idiot in uniform is a steal.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Dude fuckin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Personally, I wish that we'd let the Indians roll over them after the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

• Locked thread