Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So is Obama gonna invade Mexico now or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

An LOR in the AF ends your career. As an officer, you will not get promoted again and you go right to the top of the list of the "guys to separate next round of force-shaping," just under the guys in jail/prison. As an E, you won't get promoted again and almost certainly will not be allowed to reenlist. You also get bumped up the separations list.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

A theory I've heard a lot from some of the people I know who work for NSA/DISA contractors is Snowden was probably getting paid in one for or another by the Russians from the very start. Since the whole thing is playing out like the old days where the Soviets would both disgrace the CIA, pitting it against its own population and disgracing it internationally while still obtaining the info they wanted.

If that's true, I'll loving drink to the audacity and flawless execution. Goddrat that would be impressive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh really? How are coming to that conclusion? Because so far this seems to be working REALLY loving well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So when do we get to see badass Cossacks with awesome hats and staches riding into battle against tanks?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Courthouse posted:

The EU has more than enough conventional military power to take any actual shooting war off the table for Russia. And on top of that you have the US. Granted such a war would be amateur hour for half the units involved, but it's not going to come to that anyways. The whole of the EU spends 3 timesas much as Russia in pure dollars. So it's not more money you need (although I'm totally for us getting more better stuff and manpower).

We've been over this, and you're still wrong.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Richard Bong posted:

Wait, seriously? Someone ACTUALLY did that?

Someone did this at the AF Weapons School too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wait, so what are the USA's regime protection units? The Old Guard?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Aaaaand now he's a good guy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Baloogan posted:

I'm pretty sure we could gently caress mexico up if it came to it. I mean, comon, mexicans lol.

Yeah, that box is already checked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ask Congress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So will most of GiP.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Russia has invaded our twitters!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dammit, I thought something had happened, so I checked CNN:

Nope. Well, maybe. Like CNN would give a poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

After the red line fiasco, no he's really not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

her intern probably did, and took some lovely notes

Probably took great notes, but you know...Wikipedia.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Honestly my guess was a few days ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've been saying this for years. Good luck maintaining air superiority in "The Big One" in the '50s with the 100 mission-ready Raptors and a handful of 80 year old F-15s. GG Gates, you shortsighted fuckwit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Courthouse posted:

Unless Gripen :eng101:

The new Gripen gives you F-16 performance for F-15 price. If it came in cheaper, I'm convinced it'd be eating F-35 sales.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

True today or not, I certainly wouldn't count on that in the 2050 timeframe.

I think that's about the time we'll start seeing tests along those lines. I seriously doubt it'll be a mature technology that soon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

For now, sure. They're not as good as F-15s or Super Hornets, but they're still better than most potential adversary fighters. The problem is they're 30+ years old, and at what point do you stop buying a blend of old/newish tech on a maxed-out airframe?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/08/dover-air-force-base-lockdown/8852129/

Looks like someone's shooting up Dover because as is AF tradition, they just can't let the Army keep something to themselves

As usual, perception does not match reality in the Air Force and hallucinations lead to pointless reactions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's all fun and games until HDI gets called up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They'll get LOCs, except the one that's had similar incidents previously; he'll get an LOR and forced out. One of the LOC guys already has an LOC for alcohol related issues, so he'll be allowed to finish his commitment or try for VSP, but not reenlist. The other LOC has a relatively clean record, and a PT test next month. When he scores a 99.4 the LOC will be shredded. It's too bad though...100 and he would've been entered into a drawing to get an F-15 fam ride.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Putin knows he's won, pretenses aren't even necessary.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

If Russia couldn't pull that off as the Soviet Union I don't see how they could possibly pull it off today. Europe is already determined to reduce energy dependence on Russia. There isn't going to be a second Cold War and Russia isn't a resurgent superpower. If it was it would have long since invaded Ukraine. The scales are even more lopsided in favor of the West today than they were in the Cold War. Russia has nothing to offer anyone and has no friends.

I thought Europe was 5+ years away from large-scale NG supplies from the US, due to the lack of ports/ships capable of actually transporting it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah as an organization intended to provide a united economic front against the American and Chinese juggernauts, it's doing loving great. Just ask Greece.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This is one situation where we should be copying the UK.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mad Dragon posted:

My friend's kid wanted to apply to a $40k per semester school, and they wanted $45 just for the loving application. :what: Needless to say, she's going to community college in the fall.

That's about right for an application fee. They were 30-40 in the late 90s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Courthouse posted:

So we need a new liberal political correctness campaign enforcing that the word "trigger" only be used for serious ptsd stuff, in the same vein as how saying you rape noobs in CoD can get you expelled?

Can't we just say the word trigger is a trigger for vets because guns or whatever?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tide posted:

If the implication was "work harder", I apologize, that's not my intent. I just meant "the jobs that will pay better than min wage are harder/more difficult than making coffee at starbucks"

But you're quite right: Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

There's some hypocrisy (and luck) there, I'll admit, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong with everything else. I could have paid my way through school with the money I was earning but that went to beer, bongs, and golf along with rent.

So I guess I'll just say THANKS OBAMA.

I worked anywhere from one to three jobs while attending college. My grades were poo poo and I hated every minute of those 4.5 years. I managed to pay off the debts after about 3 years of officer pay (2 of which I had a roommate to save BAH).

I guess what I'm saying is gently caress off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Best Friends posted:

I've yet to see a good article on why college costs keep going up, especially undergraduate. 100 people in a room that got paid off 70 years ago being taught by some TA making 12 bucks an hour somehow = exponential rise in fees over time assessed to those 100 people. Even in those rare rare classes where you have maybe 12 people facing an actual professor, that professor sure as hell is not taking a significant fraction of that cost.

Most professors are making less than 3k per semester class. That number has dropped significantly over the past 20 years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's generally true though. They just usually forget to mention that half the burger flippers did go to college.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It even hosed with air ops for a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reverand maynard posted:

i bet he can get a nice contracting gig what with being in a very intense language immersion program for five years

I heard he's got an OCS package just waiting for his PT score before submission.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's a douche, he hosed up which led to his shootdown, he hosed up basically everything you're taught at SERE (they seriously use him as the example of what not to do), and he almost got himself killed by the Marines sent to pick him up by charging the helicopter with his loving pistol in hand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

Really? drat. Now I feel bad for buying his book at my school's Scholastic Book Fair.

Any source on this?

I know he's a douche because I've talked to him, and the rest came up in professional situations...like the SERE instructor telling the entire class what a fuckup he was. Also Viper pilots talking poo poo about him basically getting himself shot down. Nothing I can link to, though. The specifics of how he hosed up in the air and on the ground would be classified anyway. But after he got back, he thought he was hot poo poo and made sure you knew it.

Edit: V gently caress YES

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 3, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Europe is probably the only place where a plan like that is useful, actually.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Best Friends posted:

I'm not for or against the prisoner exchange at this point but I do love the codification that five skilled commanders are worth one shitbag American junior enlisted.

I don't think there's any question the administration just pulled off a huge political coup by tricking the republicans into complaining about getting an American retrieved from captivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol:

quote:

"We can't beat them. We can't. They are well-trained in street fighting, and we're not," one officer, whose identity was withheld, told Reuters. "We need a whole army to drive them out of Mosul."

• Locked thread