Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Mike-o posted:

I seriously wonder how long it will take the muslim world to come around to the modern age, i.e. not killing each other/non-muslims left and right because of religion and being general dickholes. I've always thought about what it would be like to visit Iraq when I'm an old fart with an IRAQ WAR VET hat on visiting my old patrol sector in Baghdad, like how old Vietnam vets do that poo poo. But then I realize that won't happen for a loooooongggg loving time, definitely way past any of our lifetimes.

That depends entirely on how quickly you can get every fractured alliance in the middle east to kill themselves to oblivion or appoint a charismatic shadow puppet dictator to rule across the entire region. Strife in the Middle East is an obvious foregone conclusion, so you might as well accelerate its slide into a constant tire fire.

Then again the more energy independent we become, the less fucks we can give to that area entirely. Kinda like what's going on with this

quote:

Former Afghan Finance Minister Ashraf Ghani is in the lead to succeed Hamid Karzai as the country's next president, according to preliminary results Monday from the disputed vote.

The country's Independent Election Commission said Ghani had 56.44 percent of the vote. His main rival, Abdullah Abdullah, received 43.56 percent. The results were due last week but were delayed amid Abdullah's allegations of widespread fraud.

Abdullah, the former foreign minister, easily won the first round of voting on April 5 with 45 percent of the ballots, but he fell short of the 50 percent needed for an outright victory. In that vote, Abdullah held a 14-percentage-point lead over Ghani. As NPR's Sean Carberry reported last week: "Many thought Abdullah was on target to be the next president."

But as unofficial results began to trickle in, it became clear Ghani, a former World Bank official, was winning comfortably. Abdullah alleged massive fraud, and refused to accept the results.

According to Monday's results, Ghani had 4,485,888 votes to Abdullah's 3,461,639 votes – a difference of a little more than 1 million votes.

The election commission acknowledged that there had been some fraud, and promised a full investigation before final results are released.

"We cannot ignore that there were technical problems and fraud that took place during the election process," the commission's chairman Ahmad Yousuf Nouristani said. "We are not denying fraud in the election, some governors and Afghan government officials were involved in fraud."

His comments were reported by The Associated Press.

Indeed as Sean told Morning Edition today, the European Union says at least a quarter of the ballot boxes must be audited for this election to be certified as legitimate.

The election is seen as crucial and will pave the way for Afghanistan's first democratic transition of power. Karzai has served two consecutive terms, and is stepping down as per the country's Constitution. Western troops are scheduled to leave Afghanistan by the end of the year, and the eventual winner of the election is expected to sign a security pact with the U.S., which would leave some 10,000 troops in the country for training and counterterrorism purposes.

But the impasse over the election results is renewing fears of a descent into chaos. Here's more from Sean's story:

"The international community is working aggressively behind the scenes to pressure the candidates and Afghanistan's electoral commissions to work transparently and quickly, and to find a way to address Abdullah's concerns.
"But there's a growing fear that one side or the other will end up believing the election was stolen — either on election day or during the counting and fraud adjudication process.
"The best-case scenario is a new president takes office lacking a mandate and with roughly half the country against him. In the worst case, the losing side decides to contest the decision — not with lawyers, but with warlords."
Final results are due July 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

suddenly his decision to join al Qaeda are becoming more and more crystal clear

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

And one more for fun

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

I forgot who said it first, but Clapton's -Tears in Heaven- was the very first dubstep song, since it was entirely centered around a sick rear end drop

:vince:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Someone explain an end state to me in which we give no fucks about Israel or Palestine.

Besides the one where I get to stop listening to arm chair generals and autists talking past each other.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

The Dead Sea has cool and novel organisms like halophilic bacteria such as Haloarcula marismortui, too bad it's surrounded by dumb dickheads.

That concludes my gripping analysis of middle east politics.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

This is apropos of absolutely nothing, but I today I listened to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWMxFsFeAoc two hour long :lol:fest/drone debate on my stitcher app while cutting some grass.

Christine Fair is annoying as gently caress, and the UK dudes made me lol.

Both sides raised interesting points, but none of them truly addressed how to effectively eradicate mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

As long as videos of people getting brutalized keeps getting pumped out of that region of the world I think I'll be a happy camper. It's not at all about me giving a poo poo about removing ethnic people off of the face of the Earth and everything about sating my imbecilic bloodthirst.

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread