Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If Russia couldn't pull that off as the Soviet Union I don't see how they could possibly pull it off today. Europe is already determined to reduce energy dependence on Russia. There isn't going to be a second Cold War and Russia isn't a resurgent superpower. If it was it would have long since invaded Ukraine. The scales are even more lopsided in favor of the West today than they were in the Cold War. Russia has nothing to offer anyone and has no friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah it's definitely something that won't happen for years but at least they recognize the need for it. I think at most this will decade will see a more assertive Russia (and China, for that matter) but ultimately their internal issues will catch up with them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If we had Teddy Roosevelt as president today he would be all up in Russia and China's poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I thought that he freaked out and decided to just walk the hell away from his base out into Afghanistan and got himself caught.

That actually reminds me of a pretty decent book by Tim O'Brien.

Going After Cacciato.

Reminds me of something I read about in a book about Army Special Forces in Vietnam. The guy telling the story knew this other guy that was good friends with some of the montagnards they worked with and one day some South Vietnamese guys murdered them. The guy lost it and went AWOL into the jungles of Vietnam and just started killing any Vietnamese men he came across. Some SF guys went after him and once they found him they had him quietly flown out of the country and back to the US. No idea what happened to him after that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

On my phones news app the other day I saw an article where it stated that Bowe could no longer speak English because of his captivity, only Dari. Which I thought was kind of weird, particularly since I was under the impression that the vast majority of Taliban were Pashtun.

And somehow Google chrome doesn't know Pashtun is a real word despite the US being involved in Afghanistan for over a decade.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Seems like an English speaking Canadian to me even if he has a French looking name. If he was a Quebecois nutcase he would probably stick to just French but his Facebook seems devoid of any French. Wikipedia also says the majority speak English, only about a third speak French as a first language. In addition he has a lot of friends on Facebook from nearby Riverview, Canada which the wikipedia page for Moncton mentions is 95% English speaking. Which is kind of funny because my parents live in Riverview, Florida. Such an original name, wonder if it has a river???

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ah I've never been there, nearly all the Quebecois I've met have been from Montreal or somewhere else not too far away and they nearly always seem to speak lovely English

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I still can't believe that crashing a loving helicopter was a part of that mission. Usually when you read about helicopter crashes everyone dies yet not a single man was lost on that operation.

Also the commander, Bull Simons, was a Cabanatuan raider in the 6th Ranger Battalion. One of the NCO's, Charles Sasser, was also a part of the Cabanatuan Raid but he was an Alamo Scout not a Ranger. Which is interesting because the Alamo Scouts were retroactively awarded the SF tab once it was created so he technically earned it twice.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

One of the officers was Dick Meadows who is probably in the running for toughest s.o.b. of the 20th century. http://www.amazon.com/The-Quiet-Professional-American-Warriors/dp/0813133998. Great book, the man was quite remarkable.

Yeah he was, and I agree that is a great book, I bought it for my dad when it first came out. My Grandpa's brother was in SF from 1952 through 1977 and knew him pretty well, they were NCO's together before he got commissioned. My Great Uncle Bob tried to become an officer himself and went to OCS 3 times but got kicked out each time for being a smart rear end. I ended up knowing my Uncle Bob better than my Grandpa because my Grandpa died when I was 5. He knew most of the SF legends from the early years and Vietnam era, Bull Simons was his CO a few years previous to the Son Tay Raid. I was just a kid when my dad was in 7th Group and him and my Uncle Bob took me to the SF museum that was on FT. Bragg (I think it's offpost now as the Special Ops and Airborne Museum) and my Uncle Bob was basically like a tour guide and had tons and tons of background information about every exhibit. Robert Howard, Bull Simons and Dick Meadows have been longtime heroes of mine because of that trip with my Uncle Bob.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Haha, no kidding, I do have some really, really big boots to fill

I'm still young though!....:(

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The PLA are probably eager to prove themselves after their humiliating month long adventure into Vietnam in 1979. Lost nearly 30,000 men in 28 days.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We should pump a ton of money into a Manhattan project type program to develop alternative energy. Let the Middle East just be some backwater no one gives a poo poo about. What do they think is going to happen when they run out of oil? Its not like they're using the money to develop their countries, its just lining the pockets of the elite.

Israel is a country of 6 million, we should be able to tell them knock their poo poo off and have them loving listen if they want continued US support but of course the Bible thumpers can't let that happen.

Its also too bad we didn't start shooting Israeli jets out of the sky after they bombed the USS Liberty. gently caress Israel. They killed 34 Americans, how the gently caress did we tolerate that without retribution.

Phone edit: spelling

Mustang fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 20, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not to mention that something like 75% of new private sector jobs are taken by cheap foreign labor anyway. The primary requirement for any Saudi getting a decent job in the private sector is having some kind of connection to the royal family. It's estimated that roughly a third of the youth and women in Saudi Arabia are unemployed but there's no way to know for sure because it's taboo in Saudi Arabia to talk about it. Fixing the unemployment of women in the country is particularly difficult because of how backward the country is, god forbid a woman and a man that aren't related interact with each other. Women can't even drive in Saudi Arabia!

Oil is 95% of their exports and 70% of government revenue, it's not going to be easy to pacify the populace with welfare packages once the oil dries out, especially with an estimated 50-60% of the population under the age of 25.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

you've lead me to google stuff about Dubai's poo poo problem and apparently Oman also has the same problem. At one point parts of streets, parking lots and parks in Dubai were flooded with sewage and they hired cheap chinese labor to clean the streets. In addition to trucking it out to the desert they also dump it into the storm drains so the coast of Dubai is literally full of poo poo.

Wonder how many diseases you would catch if you fell into that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Will be pretty funny if this new Caliph gets bombed by a drone, then what would they do?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Lazy Reservist posted:

Nothing worse than a fat chick with small tits.

:nms:http://imgur.com/PpO30hw

So true. Why the gently caress does she get naked all the god damned time?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Didn't the Romans send in the legions if their citizens were hosed with? I'd be down with that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

He's from Tampa which is all around a weird place. I know two girls that describe themselves as "Southern Girls" as well as their ethnic identity, Indian and Palestinian respectively.

I'm not sure how but Tampa turns brown people(and northerners) into rednecks. Tons of Hispanic rednecks here.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We should invade Iran and liberate all the hot Persian chicks from the hijab

And if Iranian Americans are any indicator they're a pretty irreligious bunch and way more open to western lifestyles than anyone else in the region.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

i know an iranian citizen who has the same thing where he gets really offended by being known as one. apparently there's still a large minority of people who just weren't able to peace out of the country back during the revolution or w.e

A guy I've known since high school was born in Iran after the revolution and he always makes sure people know he's Persian. He still visits his family back in Iran every so often and he says that people in Iran eat up American movies/tv shows/music/etc. According to him while the vast majority of Iranians are no fans of the US government they actually tend to have a very positive view of American people and a lot of them wish they could move to the US. By this point a lot of people are pretty upset with the way the revolution turned out.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

When was the last time Israel did anything that benefited US national interests?

They're a country of 6 million and their ethnic lobby is by far the most powerful, if you criticize anything Israel does you get labeled as antisemitic. This is bad for both Israeli and American national interests.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Wonder if the German public will still think moving away from the US and building stronger ties with Russia is a good idea.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Quote I heard from a Black Hawk pilot I know

Lyn Montross posted:

The helicopter symbolizes the victory of ingenuity over common sense.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Because Germany was moving away from the US towards Russia.

Also, there is no nuclear fire. I was promised nuclear fire.

orange juche posted:

Germany isn't about to hop in bed with Russia any time soon.

Of course they aren't but that doesn't change the fact that many Germans sympathized with Russian actions against Ukraine, even the annexation of Crimea. Germany has more Russian apologists than any other Western country.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Do hot Palestinian chicks exist?

They can be if you find some that aren't wearing a hijab, we have a decent amount of them here in Tampa. Some of them here still wear it but plenty of them don't, and I've never seen a fat Palestinian so they at least have that going for them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The weirdest are Americans that react to any criticism of Israel as if you had just taken a giant steaming dump on America itself.

This is a country that depends on the US but has been selling sensitive military technology to China since at least the 80's and has been told to knock it off multiple times, yet continues to do so anyway when it can.

But they're our friends! :downs:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

the gently caress are you getting your surveys from?

Late to the party, but Fukushima happened, dumb people went "ATOMZ", dumb politicians went "welp, let's appease them dumbs that vote", followed by lots of attaboys, congratulations and mission accomplished all around.

lovely reactors next door are still chill, though.

From Spiegel, which has all kinds of articles written on the subject. That page in particular has a survey where 55% of Germans polled were sympathetic to Russia seeing Ukraine as part of its "sphere of influence." 54% thought that the EU and US should accept the annexation of Crimea.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Why are the most politically active people almost universally dumb and crazy?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The world sure is going to poo poo this year, glad I was born in America. Wonder how crazy 2015 is going to be?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It is seriously weird how defensive Americans are about Israel

lmao yes criticizing Israel is the same thing as being anti-Semitic :rolleyes:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'd be down with withdrawing all aid and support from Israel and just let the desert savages(which includes Israel) kill each other for the next 1000 years. Every single country in the Middle East is a festering poo poo hole. You know Israeli's are lunatics because they purposely immigrated to the loving Middle East of all places. All the smart Jews went to America.

It would be one thing if they were actually a decent ally but they aren't. They keep selling sensitive military technology to China despite the fact that we have repeatedly told them not to over the past 30 years. They just don't loving care.

gently caress the Middle East.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It must be terrifying for those poor Israelis having to live with such a threat.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Do you mind if I mortar your neighborhood with your friends and family a few hundred times a month?

Don't worry though I'm a terrible shot.

Hundreds? No month before July reached anywhere near 100 and for the first half of the year there were about 170 total rocket attacks that managed to injure a whopping 4 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2014

After 2500 rocket attacks in July managed to injure 34 people.

Yes, the Israeli's are clearly the victims here.

Israel is a terrible "ally" that can't even have the decency to not sell our military technology to the Chinese.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that titties are awesome

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/world/africa/ransoming-citizens-europe-becomes-al-qaedas-patron.html

(emphasis mine)

Of course we pay some $400m a year to terrorists disguised as aid, so

And we give Israel $3 billion a year just to turn around and sell military technology to China. Israel doesn't deserve a single cent from the US. They can't even stop buildings settlements or stop selling military technology to China.

gently caress Israel. gently caress Palestine. gently caress the Middle East.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

DownByTheWooter posted:

I went to Israel on vacation and it was pretty nice. Unlike all the places in the region the military sent me, they had really good food that didn't gently caress my guts up and you could drink and hit on girls and not worry about being blown up or kidnapped by a terrorist, and it didn't seem like the whole place ran on slave labor, trafficked Russian prostitutes and Filipino cover bands. This experience is what informs my perspective on the current conflict, so gently caress Hamas, they would just ruin the god drat place anyway BURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOWN IDF

Being critical of Israel doesn't mean you're a fan of Hamas. Palestinians are loving retarded. They've assassinated a Jordanian king and started two civil wars in neighboring states and effectively burned every bridge they had.

I couldn't care less what happens to the people in the Middle East. My beef with Israel is the fact that we pump billions into a country of 6 million that doesn't give a poo poo about American national interests, which are the only interests that matter. gently caress Israels national interests, if they want our support and money then Israel shouldnt be doing anything to harm American interests, like selling technology to the Chinese.

Let's start selling Israeli military secrets to their neighbors and see how they like it.

Israel should be bending over backwards to make us happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Genocide Tendency posted:

They are doing it, and will do it, for as long as it takes Hamas to gently caress up and take out the wrong target. And by gently caress up I mean actually learn to aim. And by take out the wrong target I mean hit what they are actually aiming for. As soon as Hamas gives Israel something they can waive in front of the UN, then it will be full on burn it to the ground and salt the earth. Its politics.

This isn't going to happen, especially not with the Iron Dome.

And lmao at Israel giving a poo poo about international opinion.

• Locked thread