Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Season 3 opens with some trends emerging. Miami and VT lead the ACC from the Coastal with the Canes as back to back ACC rematch national champions and VT the only team to mark undefeated regular seasons in back to back years as well as 13 wins in each of those seasons. Clemson was poised to storm into the title race, but a medical leave of absence from their long time guru coach denied that team the chance to really compete down the stretch. There were some other trends among the ACC as well. In the Coastal UNC is poised to make a play for best in the division and Pitt has a the chance to make some moves after landing the #1 Recruiting class this past cycle. GT and UVA found coaches and South Carolina will look to make good on their talented roster and get to a bowl game. In the Atlantic it's Clemson and then just about everyone else; NC State notched a top 10 finish and 10 wins while FSU slunk back after their ACC Title Run the year prior. Wake Forest did what Wake Forest does a consistent 9 wins for the 2nd consecutive year! Jim Grobe would be jealous.

Time to see who has started to develop their rosters best! SEASON THREE GAO!

Coastal Division Preview

Georgia Tech - GT got a new coach late in the season and will look to refine their plan of attack this next season. Who knows what quantity they represent? Usurper or not?

Miami - 12-1, National Champs, but still not the Coastal or ACC Champs. The Canes will look to rectify that blemish on their coach's record this season. Riding lots of redshirted talent and a strong young offensive core the Hurricanes are going to look to do what they couldn't last season, beat the Hokies and claim a spot in the ACC Title game. Good coach, good squad, they will be a title contender. (This is literally the same as season 2) Having gotten over the Hump against the Hokies in the last National Title game, perhaps this is finally their season.

North Carolina - The return of a veteran coach helped bouy the Tar Heels to a top 10 ranking by seasons end. Could be their time to shine with another year under their belt. The offense should be potent and the defense should be about ripe with how young it was to start. They only need another W or 2 over their prior records to find themselves in the ACC Title Game.

Pittsburgh - A lethal passing attack, crippled by a huge turnover deficit and a nearly non existent run game limited the Panthers from doing more damage in the conference in season 2. They will look to cut down on the turnovers and put their AA TE & WR to good use at scoring points through the air. Their #7 ranking right after midseason was marred by a bad slide in the back half of their schedule. The Panthers will need to take the next step and finish out strong against the highly ranked portion of their schedule has them in the hunt too.

South Carolina - Sadly the worst team in the ACC the Gamecocks are going to look for big improvement offensively this season. Their defense was stifling holding most opponents to winnable scores, however an inability to move the ball and score points kept them from making more noise. Despite making a bowl game against fellow conference member FSU was an odd reward to a CPU W over Clemson none the less the Gamecocks will look to earn their bowl bid this season.

Virginia - #LOLUVA / New spiffy coach will look to make the Hoos not an embarrassing mess. Getting out of the cellar may take time though as he inherits an older not as talented roster.

Virginia Tech - The #1 Defense in the country and a nearly 50/50 balanced offense saw the Hokies win 13 games again and a hollow, but still very real, ACC Title. Their rematch with Miami was lack luster to say the least. Replacing a lot of outgoing talent the Hokies offense will look to rebuild behind a new QB and get back to winning some more titles. Backed by their Heisman Winning HB Edmunds the Hokies are right in the thick of things.

Atlantic Division Preview

Boston College - Not a stellar season, but the coach is seasoned and will look to make some noise in the more open of the two division as it sits.

Clemson - Their HC earned them an ACC Title shot, but a medical leave of absence left them listless down the stretch and so they find themselves heading into the third season. With their HC an odds on favorite for the Atlantic. Without, sadly just a stepping stone. Come back soon Capn...

Florida State - After their stellar opening season the Noles slid back a bit in season 2. The roster is still loaded so a few better breaks and they will have their chance to grab another ACC Title.

Louisville - The Empty Throne of Bobby Petrino's Motorcycle

NC State - Improvements abound as the Wolfpack backed by their Star QB ran to a #6 ranking at the end of the season and a 10-3 record to go with it. 2nd in the Division last season they will look to take on an open race for first in the division. They closed strong and I expect them to be right in the mix of it.

Syracuse - DUMPSTER FIRE OF THE FROZEN NORTH

Wake Forest - WF does what WF does. 9 wins including the bowl and a tough showing of it on offense and defense. With a bit of some help with the schedule they could be poised to be a surprise team. SO CLOSE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those that may be new to the dynasty here are some things you should know about how I run this ship.

1)I am a considerate commish provided you post and stay in touch with the dynasty through the thread (when it concerns player games) or contacting me in AIM/PM. If there are scheduling problems, provided I am aware of them I will work with y'all to get games played.
2)I am a cruel and powerful commish, I move this thing along when I say I plan to especially as it concerns CPU games. I will often set a deadline and players need to get their games in. I don't wait on people with CPU games unless there is the aforementioned communication about a situation.
3)We don't play FCS teams in this league. We prefer mid major meats around these parts.
4)It's a good time in here, trash talk is fine and we will all have fun with the thread.
5)I will listen to suggestions about improving the game play of the dynasty, but the decision to implement anything is ultimately mine.
6)I don't care about CPU games; they are for getting bowl eligible and pointless stat padding. I won't be upset about a reset or two along the way. That said don't restart a half dozen times because someone got injured.

If you got problems all I gots to say is

----------------------------------------------
Teams by Division

Coastal
Georgia Tech - cletus42o GT cletus42o
Miami - John Brown GT True Cryme
North Carolina - slywalker13 GT Slywalker13
Pittsburgh - marioinblack GT TB Rays 23
South Carolina - MAkev GT makev7
Virginia - After Father GT BJTheRealist
Virginia Tech - Zsbaug24 GT JDMTyte

Atlantic
Boston College - Texas A Wrecksus GT QuickDrawQuincy
Clemson - Lil Jon Galt GT Kancho
Florida State - The Piper GT the nasty niss
Louisville - CLOSED
NC State - Dioedeus GT BenedictWong
Syracuse - CLOSED
Wake Forest - der juicen GT Im A GPS Facial

Wait List:

Wait list will work as follows; when a person drops out the first person on the wait list will get a PM and have 24 hrs to respond about taking the spot. If I get no response it's onto the next person.

Difficulty - All American; Adjusted Penalty Sliders; Recruiting is at Varisty
Quarters - 6 minutes
No QB Quiz, Ice the Kicker is On, Home Field Advantage is on.
No Recruiting boosters.

Basically I'm going to ask that everyone not play like an rear end in a top hat. I want to see good sportsmanship and that people play the game like real football within bounds. The game is trying to tailor it so you should be encouraged to do so, but lets actually try and care. I may make adjustments as the game goes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Week 1 User Game Y'all:
GT vs South Carolina

A few of us have CPU games, so let's get to it!

e: on the topic of the schedule I'm still not sure how I keep playing NC State every year.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 25, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

I'm sorry ZSB, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Let me know if you'd like me to replay.

E: Miami is r2a

I'm assuming you topped triple digits on the scoreboard in which case I'm just impressed.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Slywalker13 posted:

See you in the ACCCG, cause I'm about to tear through the coastal.

In reality I need another season or two to get my virtual players on the same level and then a loong time to improve my skills enough.

You're probably going to beat me this season. It says my team is 99, 99, 99 but I don't believe it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Texas A. Wreckus posted:

ZSB, literally the best commish posts. Thanks for making this poo poo still fun to be a part of.

Thanks dude! This was probably my laziest one too haha, I might go back and add a bit more especially to the Atlantic Division previews.

I really enjoy running this league and I want to do some extra work for you guys so you can enjoy it more too.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Slywalker13 posted:

Oh and I never noticed but the stadium was 4/5 Orange at my "netural" site game against Texas in Reliant stadium, I figured the programers would be lazy and all neutral site games would be 50/50.

This is a really cool touch I don't think I've ever really been able to schedule and notice. I know for all the bowl games its basically a 50/50 split. I tried scheduling myself in the Cowboys kick off but I'm not sure if it let me as there may have been CPU teams it auto assigned to it. I'LL FIND OUT AT THE NEXT ADVANCE! Will be a good chance to test that.

I did try and schedule all of the season opener neutral site games to include an ACC team so fingers crossed those that I selected enjoy them!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Tough sledding for South Carolina again in the pass game.

Texas please play your game so we can advance later tonight. I won't be home till late so you've got time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MAkev posted:

One day I'll learn how to pass maybe

I'm actually thinking you should go to all heavy run packages and only maybe try to pass deep off play action. Just Georgia Tech the poo poo out of it all the time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

So ZSB what happened to the schedules haha?

Btw, we've advanced ya'll

Define what happened to them?

Also yeah week 2 and only 1 user game:

NC State vs South Carolina. I have no clue why USCe is the only team to get conference games scheduled during the first 2 weeks despite my setting the scheduler to only start them after week 3.

My starting QB went down for the game, which gave me time to test the back up who is also perfectly adequate. I'll be using all 3 QBs on my roster this season because TALENT. Hokies over A&M in what should have been last years title game 56-14.

Cletus, you still going full triple option down at GT?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

7 user games in a row.

I like it but it's kinda :suicide:

I literally have no control over the conference schedule so yeah blame EA.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Sad times indeed. COASTAL IS MINE.

This dynasty will run forever.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

cletus42o posted:

I'm never getting coach XP in this dynasty as it is, so I would make the jump.

Except I bet your assistants mysteriously are...but anyone that wants to change to DA U is more than welcome.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Slywalker13 posted:

I vote DJ stays where he is until UNC and Miami play. If that happens and Cap'n stays MIA I may have a chance.

Go ahead and move, I'd rather earn it if I can win it.

Lollin, honestly I see it as a race between you and me now. With JB out of the way the Coastal is a thinner race and as long as the Capn is out of comission the Atlantic is anyones.

I can't change peoples coaching positions anyway so it would require a retirement and loss of those beautiful coach points.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

der juicen posted:

Awh, man. drat, well that throws a wrench in my plan.

I think it might be possible during the coaching carousel, but we haven't tried. It only ever asks me to move you all to other jobs outside the ACC.

This year's game got a bunch of tools for the commish cut out of it which pissed me off.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Time Warner can't come out until Saturday but I could try and restart my modem & router before every game.

In other words I'm back I guess. Or at least until I lose all depth from lack of recruiting skills.

E: That is if I can actually not dc from a game.

We can wait, no worries. I'm a patient man when it comes to this dynasty. It will plod along forever until they kill the servers so yeah.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

ZSB, who's my first opponent? Perhaps I can survive a sim for Week 1.

Also, in case you missed it I need an invite.

Last I saw you hadn't quit the ACC, but I can check when I get home tonight. My gut tells me week 1 was Toledo which you won handily. Week 2 you play #10 Florida so yeah you'll want to try and make that happen if not its at least out of conference and won't affect your chances at the ACC Title.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

cletus42o posted:

He's definitely not showing in the list of teams on the website. I was just looking there to see who we were still waiting on and saw that all games were played, but then realized that Miami was missing on the list.

Then I will hit him with an invite tonight. LATER RECRUITING ADVANTAGES JB MUAHAHAHAH

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Sorry JB I'll try and get you an invite tonight, didn't touch the 360 last night. Too many titans needed dropping on fools.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Week 3. Only user game is USCe vs Wake Forest. Sorry kevin, 3 user games to open the season the scheduler was rough on South Carolina.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MAkev posted:

I'm on autopilot since I'll be away from my 360 for the next week or so

Oh right forgot that.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 6, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

der juicen posted:

drat, well, I knock it out unless you want me to wait.

Knock it out.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

My bad for forgetting to put your game in the post...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

UPDATE PLS PIPER ON AVAILABILITY.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The Piper posted:

I can't play during the AM hours so we'll have aim for the weekend. Or sim it?

Hell no weekend is fine dude. No worries just didn't want to let the thread sit for too long.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dline feels like its the easiest to play, but I would actually say its tougher to play really well, its just less noticeable when you make a mistake in comparison to playing the safety spot. This years game made the running lanes critical so if you blow your gap assignment things get ugly fast. It's not hard to set everything on the line and still end up having a counter block your guy you tried to get wide. I'm just never coordinated enough to manage safety or LB spots, I end up leaving a hole somewhere. My biggest advice if you're going to play Dline is always be looking for the HB screen, they are very successful generally but being able to break the "rush" assignment and get out to the flat is one of the biggest advantages you can get as a DT or DE. My other advice for the position is don't be too fast to use the RS for power and finesse moves, it can slow down the rush or tie you up when you'll want to disengage. I try and wait a second or two after the snap unless I've gotten a free release. The A Button is also your friend as any ball carrier within arms reach tends to at least get disrupted as they go by. Don't be afraid to change the slants of the line, or the pinch or contain options. Some formations are more likely to run wide than others.

As far as turnovers go, they are almost always predicated on pressure, real or phantom (thrown too many picks to JB rushing a throw thinking pressure was gonna arrive when I had time). If you can't get into the backfield fast, the passing game opens up enough (except seemingly late in games when I know I have to pass) to the point where a patient player will find the right read. Fumbles seem like complete luck to me so I dunno how to help there but INTs I think come from early throws, and close coverage. I will press most of the time if the coverage doesn't start them close to their players. When corners play off coverage they never react fast enough to curls and outs.

Recruiting wise, I tend to slap 35 dudes on the board, identify who I want to really pursue and put 90% of the possible points. Once I've figured out who to stop wasting points on I dump the max points into the top 10-14 guys until I have a big enough lead to bleed them back down to just above the the 500 base. I dunno I'm not a very good recruiter, but I try and focus on pipeline states first and then chasing guys from other places if I have to. Anyone who has me in their top 3 will end up on my board. For some spots like P, K, FB, you might not need to put anymore into them than having them on your board and offering them a scholarship.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Press man is always predicated for me by either safety help high or pressure, and I prefer pressure. If you can make that fast sack either with a free runner or a good dline move then it works just long enough. It's a big part of how I manage long distance downs.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Yup there was an advance. There is also another user game involving South Carolina, I know MAkev will be back Tuesday so maybe we can aim to advance again by next weekend.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hey AF, lets wake up and coordinate a time to play this game. I'm anxious to unleash these Hokies on some real ACC foes.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Advanced. A week with many user games approaches!

User Games:
UNC vs USCe
Wake Forest vs FSU #Top25Match
NCSU vs VT #TopTenMatch

When you wanna go Dio? At this point maybe Friday early evening?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Fyi Dio, I won't be free most of Saturday but we can prb play Sunday looking at your open times in the other threads. Get ready to throw lots of INTs to my secondary :smug:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dio when can you go tomorrow?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Diodeous posted:

I'm free pretty much all day. Might take the dogs on a walk or something but that's about it

2:30 CT work for you?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Diodeous posted:

That should be fine!

Sorry man, maybe like 3:30 or 4 CT? I always forget that stores don't open till noon on Sunday. TEJASSSSS LIFE.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Diodeous posted:

That should be fine

Awesome see you then, if I'm out I'll post when I'll get back so you won't be sitting waiting. Yet another rousing Hokies/Wolfpack Matchup, it's like we are interdivision rivals!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I'm back around Dio so post up and I'll hop on.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

VT basically manhandled NCSU 48-14 with NCSU not scoring until the end of the 3rd down 34-0 at that point. Rough outing, INTs, dropped passes for the Wolfpack. Hokies really did just about everything they wanted on the ground, and Edmunds broke the single game rushing record. So he's basically going to own every VT record even though the record book is dumb and doesn't seem to keep them for realsies.

We will advance after Sly and MAkev play their game.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

Duke tha God has a new short term goal :getin:

E: drat Dio, you throw picks like I take sacks...take a few more sacks per season.

Talking about the VT record book, don't know about the NCAA one prb not that one.

Edmunds won't be winning any awards beast though he is, too many good players to get touches.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Wasn't really trying to run up the score, but yeah in the first half I don't see the point of pulling any punches. I basically ran 90% of the 2nd half, but your D just kinda let you down wiffing on tackles and missing my guys straight up. I think your team is better than this performance, our first one was off to a good start. Sadly also what JB said, I just don't see the point in changing my strategy before the second half. I only attempted 11 passes, so while at the end of the half I could have ridden it into half time, but I wouldn't do that with a closer game either. Sorry if I bugged ya with it, only ended up with a FG anyway.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Diodeous posted:

I have recruiting pretty much maxed out at this point and spend a lot of effort on it. I'll keep at it.

Mostly, I was so bothered by you trying to score again so quickly because of how inept my team was and how obvious the ineptness seemed to me. I thought you were just trying to take advantage of what was a "ripe" situation. After the way our first game started, it was infuriating to not be able to move the ball

Unfortunately ineptness comes in streaks, I've dominated the first quarter and a half of a game then have it fall apart. I never take for granted that a slow start will remain that way. Unfortunately with the coaching points in this year's iteration I have good incentive to get myself into a position to score points. The faster you accumulate them the sooner you can unlock tree bonuses so that's another part of my motivation. I know the deflated and defeated feeling of watching your team flounder, but I guess don't take it personally if any of us play our natural style/strategy for at least the first half. My pass stats are going to be hilarious ugly this season it would appear though, didn't give up points, but yards I did allow them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Take care of that shortly at your convenience Sly.

• Locked thread