Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

The Piper posted:

poo poo, I don't play Kancho until week 11. He'll probably be back by then. I also play at #1 JB.

On the plus side, I don't play Sly this year and he's beaten me the past 2 seasons.

See you in the ACCCG, cause I'm about to tear through the coastal.

In reality I need another season or two to get my virtual players on the same level and then a loong time to improve my skills enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

John Brown posted:

I can never get 99 on defense
:negative:

#firstworldproblems

Not sure UNC is quite there yet but this season the team is a lot more fun to play as at least. I'm curious what it'll be like against as user but my D was excellent at swarming to the ball, although it'll do no good if Duke and Trey are already 20 yards downfield by the time my guys realize what happened.

My kicker could make this a long season. At max power in a dome, his kickoffs were about 2 feet deep in the end zone.

Oh and I never noticed but the stadium was 4/5 Orange at my "netural" site game against Texas in Reliant stadium, I figured the programers would be lazy and all neutral site games would be 50/50.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

COASTAL IS MINE.

I vote DJ stays where he is until UNC and Miami play. If that happens and Cap'n stays MIA I may have a chance.

Go ahead and move, I'd rather earn it if I can win it.

Slywalker13 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 30, 2014

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Just thought I'd post a "quick" thought on how I recruit. Dunno if it's the best method but I'm hoping to trade in in exchange for tips on actually playing the game (specifically weakness any of y'all have noticed, biggest one I've noticed is that I don't generate turnovers and my gameplan basically is to allow 4-5 yards per play on D and hope that eventually I get a good play (tackle for loss) or my opponent makes a mistake)).

I open the season by just searching for recruits that have me in the top 10 and add all the ones I like. I mostly go with just projected OVR but do pay special interest to position needs and players that work with my style to play. I try to set a hard limit on how bad the worse players players are that I'll include on my board (often around 70) but invariably this limit drops throughout the season. If I don't fill my 35 spots (always keep your board full) I'll then add players based on what I need and if I see guys I should be able to make a good run at (i.e. all his top school are in CA and he values close to home). Then I sort my guys (going mostly with just straight OVR but adjust a bit based on team needs and play style) and scout the top 20 and reorder my board again. After the season starts I just put max points in my top recruits until my points run out, if I'm maxed out in my scouting skill I'll often scout out the remaining players. Week to week I drop players that I obviously won't sign because: I keep losing points despite putting max points in or I am not putting any points in and other teams are putting a lot in. I also drop players if a scouting reports drops their OVR below my threshold or they are undesirable for some other reason. Again, anytime I drop a player I add and scout a new one to keep my board at 35. The first two weeks, players I add are based on the same criteria from preseason (i.e. I avoid the top players that will obviously be pursued). Starting on week 3 I will sort based on commitment <25% when searching for new players and will often find 5* players and such that no one is recruiting. Each week I re-order my board based mostly on OVR especially once I start adding the new 5* players that I may have not started in the top-10 but noone is recruiting. The week after I add those guys I appear on their list of top 10 and after one or two more weeks I gauge if I will be able to sign them based on how fast I shoot up their rankings. When a player is ready to visit I tend to schedule them for the first available game with few exceptions. The reason for this is I almost never reduce the number of points I am putting into a recruit because I want to get them to sign ASAP. Even if I have a 4k lead on points by week 3, if I stop putting points into them they may hang around and not sign until after bowl season and then I have to decide if I want to put points into them in the post-season where another team could easily steal a recruit from 4k points behind. The timing of offering scholarships I haven't figured out yet. I used to offer to everyone I was mildly interested in but now that I have the insta-sign skill I'm waiting until I am their #1 school so I have a chance at the insta-commit. People have mentioned having an offer increases the points you get per week so I'm not sure on the optimal strategy there. Oh and I hate post-season recruiting, bunch of vodoo magic black arts if you ask me. I mostly choose 4-5 recruits and dump all my points into them based on how my dog wants them distributed, I have no idea.

Whew that's quite the wall of text and probably does not have a continuous train of logical thought. I swear I did not take a bump of cocaine at 3 in the afternoon to write this. Just trying to get my thoughts on recruiting out there since it works for me and seeing if anyone has ideas on what I can do to bolster my game (both O and D).

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Well I tend to do D-line partially because then I won't get burned and think the CPU does better at playing secondary and partially because I used to be able do very well down there with power and finesse moves. However this iteration it seems like I can't get the pressure I used to hence why I'm looking for new ideas.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I try press a lot with 7 man rushes against the cpu (leaving the RB uncovered as I hope that if he's getting the ball its behind the line as the pass rush is too intense) but never seem to generate enough pressure. I do get over eager with the R stick when I control a lineman and see it cost me sacks or TFLs when I get a free look so I'll try to work on that. Press never bothers me too much, dunno why. Usually when I see it I check for safety shading to that side as that usually indicates a CB blitz instead of coverage and if it's coverage my first read is to the go route. If my guy beats the CB off the line it's a fairly consistent 20 yard pass as long as I don't float it too much so that the safety can undercut. If it's not there I try to step up into the pocket and wait: either someone gets open or I lose 3-4 yards.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Makev i think I'm free most evenings, I prefer earlier evenings but name a date and time.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Makev I may be able to go tonight but I'm unsure when, I'll let you know as the day develops.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Makev, no go for today, let's aim for tomorrow evening

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Makev, how about either 5PM or 8PM central tonight?

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
How about tonight, Tuesday at 5 or 8 PM central?

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Just woke up and am battening down the hatches due to the flooding. If I have power, internet and dry electronics I'll take care of it in the morning. Yay snow severe thunderstorm and flash flood days.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
:sniff: so proud of my D. -1 rush yards total allowed after 4 games. Trey and Duke are officially on notice.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Texas, I'm good most early evenings and most of this weekend. Let me know what works best for you.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

John Brown posted:

These Canes are not ready for dem Hokies. Somehow this is the best rated team I've ever had but my O just wasn't there today. GT's Dline absolutely smothered my QB all drat game.

Miami survives are scare against G-Tech, 34-20.

The coastal shall be mine.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Slywalker13 posted:

Texas, I'm good most early evenings and most of this weekend. Let me know what works best for you.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
How about at 8PM central? Should give me enough time to feed the baby.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Texas A. Wreckus posted:

We're doing coaching carousel at that time, so however long that takes, prob shortly after 8pm central

edit: invite sent

Slywalker13 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2014

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
BC over UNC 27-17. GG Texas, for whatever reason my line sucked on both sides of the ball.

edit: oh and it's time to bench Gibson, his inaccuracy is infuriating.

Slywalker13 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 7, 2014

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Yeah my kicker is a known (to me) weakness. Not much to do there except wait until next season. Scott also pissed me off, guy is rated 99 for man coverage but he could have fooled me with the cushion he was giving.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
AF I think I can go most evening this week, not tonight. When works best you?

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

AfterFather posted:

I'm free most nights after 10 PM Central.

Let me know if you get free earlier any day, that's way past my bedtime. If we can't we'll shoot for this weekend.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I feel that that chick in xmen 3 getting bum rushed by the Juggernaut the way you are crushing everybody. My loss to BC demonstrates that my team's ratings are artificially high. Be gentle next week.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

AfterFather posted:

Want to try and play this weekend?

Would Friday at 10PM central work? I may be supposed to go to New Orleans this weekend as a Mother's day gift.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

AfterFather posted:

I'm being asked to work late again tonight. Put me on AP so this game can get played and we can advance.

I can go tomorrow AM if that works for everyone

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
We have a sick kid so no New Orleans. However he is not on AP.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Log on, as soon as I see you start playing NCAA Ill quit the game.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
UNC over UVA 26-20 and we are R2A. Why did you spend the first half passing so much AF? I figure you run an option offence usually based on your rushing stats but you came out of the gate throwing even though I had yet to demonstrate an ability to stop it. It was nice to see my guys play man so tightly but I think it would have been a different outcome as you closed the gap quickly once you went back to the option. Oh and what formations are you calling from on D? You had some weird ones and if I wanted to pass more (and had the skill to do so) I feel like I had a lot of uncovered recievers.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I can go most any time today or tomorrow. Just need some warning and to ask permission from the wife.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Maybe later this afternoon, but probably tomorrow will be better. Possibly in the afternoon, highly likely for the evening/night.

Tomorrow works better for me to. Name a time and I should be able to support that

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Let's do 9 Central. Today is a wonderful beach day.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

I was hoping you'd be willing to play earlier haha, if we are going to play in the evening it might be closer to 10 CT, depends on some timing with my gf.

I can support that. I can also do tomorrow evening if you prefer.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
VT over UNC 38-31 in an "exciting" game of run, run, run, pass to the go route that got a good release off press coverage for a huge gain/TD. I was hoping for a bit more exciting of a game after back to back 3 and outs to open the game. I feel like it was your pass rush that basically decided the game, I think it caused both my punts. That and a nice call on your final third down to seal it. I sold out pretty big on an option and think I would of had it covered, should have seen it coming as you never take so long to snap the ball. Oh well, good game. Most satisfying loss I've had in a while.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Diodeous posted:

Sly how is Monday for you?

I'm out of town until the following Tuesday unless I come back for work urgently. I'd of course be delighted if we waited for me but that is a long time and my season is lost at this point so if I'm put on AP I won't be butt hurt.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Diodeous posted:

Since neither sly or I are going to be able to take care of this immediately, I have no qualms whatsoever with a sim. Sly said he wouldn't be able to play until Tuesday, but on Saturday I am leaving for 8 days and I don't want to hold up the league.

Sim is good for me.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Cletus I'll be home on Tuesday and will be free most of the time starting that day.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
How about 930 Eastern? Will that be enough time for you to be done with work stuff?

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
UNC over GT 28-26 coming down to a failed 2 point conversion by GT (he looked in to me) with a minute left. Good game Cletus, too bad the studder step problem sort of nerfs the pitch of a triple option, playing out of a wishbone offense can be lots of fun. Did you make a few bad calls on the option or were my guys just all over you that fast? I have to just stick to zone reads as if I add in veers and midline reads, I get confused and give the ball to the wrong guy.

Wish I saved the replay of that one counter that you blew up but Morris breaks like 3 tackles and takes it in for a TD.

edit: oh and I hate that I gave up that last TD, I called the time out cause I figued: 4th and goal from 21, I'll put 8 guys in the endzone. Should have just kept my 4-3 zone blitz that gave you fits all night.

edit2: I got lucky with a number of CB blitzes that you tried to roll out into. That and my LB core lived in your backfield.

edit3: I noticed it was my end who snuffed out your screen play and think I've seen that a lot. What determines that? He was supposed to pass rush but does high play recognition put him into coverage on screens?

Slywalker13 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 4, 2014

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

cletus42o posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ1kt2uSXTE

I should have mixed up the option plays a bit more. I just love the WR motion options!

I really thought I was gonna get this one for a loss too until my guy tripped over his own feet. He is all too embarrassingly obvious in that clip.

I love the WR motion triple option as well. I don't do it as much in the ACC due to that studder step so I'll try holding accelerate (I rarely use it as I am convinced it causes people to shed their blocks). I loved it as USC last season since for whatever reason is was normally my big TE getting the pitch and he'd just bulldoze the secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Gonna try and buy a car. As a car guy the Corolla I currently drive really does none of the things I want my car to do so it's about time to reuse the capital from my last nice car on a new foolish vehicle. Basically just a day trip north, but I'll prb be up in the area again in August and perhaps we can connect and rock out a game or two IRL. CRAZY THOUGHTS.

As a car guy wouldn't you love a (gently) used Honda Fit. It's only a 10 hour drive away.

UNC RTA. Just gave up a 20 play drive to Pitt, don't think I've ever had a drive last that long against the computer. At least I still managed to pitch a shutout.

• Locked thread