Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

eNeMeE posted:

Have your mom get the vaccine without telling your sister. It's not like it leaves a mark or anything.

And what will your sister do, kick her out?

I'm a wee bit of a misanthrope, though, so ymmv

First off, going by antivaxxers behavior in the past I could very well see his sister kicking their mom out over that.

Second it's really bad to just have her go behind her daughter's back like that, her fears might be based on a bunch of fear mongering baloney but that does not mean you can just ignore them and act like they don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Vaccine you are family

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

First off, going by antivaxxers behavior in the past I could very well see his sister kicking their mom out over that.

Haha this rings incredibly true.

I appreciate all the responses. I guess we'll just have to make a decision on my mom visiting. The rest of the family had no problem getting a booster if they needed it, but my goodness is the anti-vaxx dogma strong. Ffs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fireside Nut posted:

I appreciate all the responses. I guess we'll just have to make a decision on my mom visiting.
It's pretty simple: I don't want you putting my child at risk. You don't get your booster, you don't visit until the kid has a stable immune system.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FilthyImp posted:

It's pretty simple: I don't want you putting my child at risk. You don't get your booster, you don't visit until the kid has a stable immune system.

My sister in law had this rule when her first kid was born, so my wife and I got our boosters around a month before the due date and that was that.

Look, it's a perfectly acceptable rule to have in place. I think it's a great idea. Stick to your guns and have you mother get the shot in secret if she has to. How do you think your mother would feel if your kid got sick, wondering if she were the carrier?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Second it's really bad to just have her go behind her daughter's back like that, her fears might be based on a bunch of fear mongering baloney but that does not mean you can just ignore them and act like they don't exist.
Why not?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fireside Nut posted:

Thank you for the response. I mean, are we being unrealistic or alarmist by asking folks to be current on their TDaP before visiting the baby in the first few months? Or is the chance so low that my mom could likely visit without having that be a concern? Having not been a parent before I simply don't have a good feel for this and have never given it much thought until now.

After hearing about the "dangers of formaldehyde and mercury in vaccines" I would never want to turn around and give a similarly absurd/alarmist response without being cognizant I am doing such a thing.

Thanks again.

Talk with your pediatrician about the practical risks vs total. It's highly unlikely your mom would be carrying the bacteria for whooping cough. But, you also don't want to put your child at risk and are totally justified in taking a stand and saying "no seeing the baby until vaccinated or until baby's immune system is better developed."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On one hand, it's maybe over-cautious. But at least it's based on something that actually could happen, unlike the vast majority of antivax nonsense, so by those standards it's incredibly reasonable and prudent.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

eNeMeE posted:

Why not?

Because those fears exist and people act on their fears even if the source of said fears is an illusion. It's like saying that it should be ok to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater, you can't just say that it's ok to do something like that because the most rational response to a fire is to exit in a calm and orderly fashion.

Consider, if the mother is stuck depending on her daughter for shelter is it wise for her to go behind her daughter's back and do something that might very well land her on the street just so that she can see her grandchild sooner? I'm not saying that this is fair or just, but you have to take people's opinions into account even if they are irrational, ignoring them only blinds you to the consequences of both your own and their actions.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The mom is potentially in danger herself being in a house with unvaccinated kids, depending on her age and other risk factors.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Because those fears exist and people act on their fears even if the source of said fears is an illusion. It's like saying that it should be ok to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater, you can't just say that it's ok to do something like that because the most rational response to a fire is to exit in a calm and orderly fashion.

Consider, if the mother is stuck depending on her daughter for shelter is it wise for her to go behind her daughter's back and do something that might very well land her on the street just so that she can see her grandchild sooner? I'm not saying that this is fair or just, but you have to take people's opinions into account even if they are irrational, ignoring them only blinds you to the consequences of both your own and their actions.

The opinion is being taken into account - we're suggesting that she get necessary medical care in private rather than being open about it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

The opinion is being taken into account - we're suggesting that she get necessary medical care in private rather than being open about it.

So I would assume that the sister knows about the restriction on being able to see the baby, if the mom goes then it would be pretty obvious that she got the booster, yes? I mean, I suppose they could try to keep the whole trip a secret but that seems pretty hard to me. I guess she could just get the booster anyway since it's a good thing regardless but that does not really solve the problem with her wanting to see the baby.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

She could pretend she stepped on a rusty nail and be like "woops! needed to get a tdap booster anyway!"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Alterian posted:

She could pretend she stepped on a rusty nail and be like "woops! needed to get a tdap booster anyway!"

Same problem, other sister will still be terrified of the mom carrying infectous mercury toxins or whatever and angry that mom didn't use the natural, healthier homeopathic/crystal/herbal/do nothing cure.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I would assume that the sister knows about the restriction on being able to see the baby, if the mom goes then it would be pretty obvious that she got the booster, yes? I mean, I suppose they could try to keep the whole trip a secret but that seems pretty hard to me. I guess she could just get the booster anyway since it's a good thing regardless but that does not really solve the problem with her wanting to see the baby.

Yeah dude, I guess it is better that a grandmother put her new grand kid at risk and tolerate harmful irrationality rather than try to keep everyone safe and healthy.

No, it's not that loving hard to go and visit on the sly. Come on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah dude, I guess it is better that a grandmother put her new grand kid at risk and tolerate harmful irrationality rather than try to keep everyone safe and healthy.

No, it's not that loving hard to go and visit on the sly. Come on.

Really? This sort of thing gets out very easily within families. Also I'm of the opinion that the mom ought to wait to see the baby, at least with the current situation. At the very least I think that lying to ones family is a bad idea, even if they are irrational.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"We decided that our baby's grandmother would be the only exception to our "must be vaccinated" rule, because it's the baby's motherfucking grandmother"

There, that wasn't so hard

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Really? This sort of thing gets out very easily within families. Also I'm of the opinion that the mom ought to wait to see the baby, at least with the current situation. At the very least I think that lying to ones family is a bad idea, even if they are irrational.

You think lying is the immoral thing here, rather than socially denying one's mother the ability to receive proper healthcare? Adults keep poo poo from other members of their family all the loving time - do you call up your parents and siblings and cousins and give them an itemized list of everything you'd done in the past day. Its really easy to tell folks, "don't say Grandma was here, she got a shot but doesn't want to start a fight with the crazy sister" and then everyone will nod their heads and shut the gently caress up. It's not that hard.

QuarkJets posted:

"We decided that our baby's grandmother would be the only exception to our "must be vaccinated" rule, because it's the baby's motherfucking grandmother"

There, that wasn't so hard

That doesn't make much sense, given that mom lives in a household full of unvaccinated children. Of anyone else in the family she's likely the biggest risk of anyone out there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Typhoid grammy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grandma had cancer but we told her if she got chemo instead of taking cannabis oil she was out on the street. :shrug: :rip:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Solkanar512 posted:

That doesn't make much sense, given that mom lives in a household full of unvaccinated children. Of anyone else in the family she's likely the biggest risk of anyone out there.

That was a possible excuse to allow grandma to visit the kid after getting a booster without tipping off the crazy sister.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

You think lying is the immoral thing here, rather than socially denying one's mother the ability to receive proper healthcare? Adults keep poo poo from other members of their family all the loving time - do you call up your parents and siblings and cousins and give them an itemized list of everything you'd done in the past day. Its really easy to tell folks, "don't say Grandma was here, she got a shot but doesn't want to start a fight with the crazy sister" and then everyone will nod their heads and shut the gently caress up. It's not that hard.

Where, pray tell, did I ever say that it was morally better for the grandmother to go without healthcare? I just think that she would be better off with a roof over her head even if that means having to wait to see the baby. I think that if she went behind the daughter's back, got the shot and then her daughter found out that there would be more fallout than other options.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Where, pray tell, did I ever say that it was morally better for the grandmother to go without healthcare? I just think that she would be better off with a roof over her head even if that means having to wait to see the baby. I think that if she went behind the daughter's back, got the shot and then her daughter found out that there would be more fallout than other options.

Your odd concern over the morality of lying to a member of the family who's acting in bad faith over the health of the grandmother.

Also, I already pointed out how lovely it's going to be for the grandmother if the new grandkid gets sick. Even if they can't directly show that the disease was passed from grandmother to grandchild, she's going to feel like poo poo thinking there's a possibility that her grandkid is suffering because of her not getting a shot. I've seen this sort of thing at work after industrial accidents and it's a hosed up time for everyone. If she gets the shot, she doesn't have to worry about this possibility either.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Your odd concern over the morality of lying to a member of the family who's acting in bad faith over the health of the grandmother.

Also, I already pointed out how lovely it's going to be for the grandmother if the new grandkid gets sick. Even if they can't directly show that the disease was passed from grandmother to grandchild, she's going to feel like poo poo thinking there's a possibility that her grandkid is suffering because of her not getting a shot. I've seen this sort of thing at work after industrial accidents and it's a hosed up time for everyone. If she gets the shot, she doesn't have to worry about this possibility either.

Please read what I post instead of what you think you read. I said "bad idea" not "is wrong" or "is morally wrong", my objection is motivated by the opinion that it's ever so slightly better to go without a booster than to be homeless, a strange opinion I know, but not all of us are as rational as you.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Screw their feelings. They're putting children at risk who cannot make the choice for themselves. Hell, in my opinion you'd be justified in forcing them to get their children vaccinated too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

That Works posted:

Grandma had cancer but we told her if she got chemo instead of taking cannabis oil she was out on the street. :shrug: :rip:
poo poo like this happens though. Hospitals have medical ethicists and social workers on staff for a reason, including helping patients deal with abusive or well-meaning but very ignorant families.

Solkanar512 posted:

They're pretty clearly talking about the potential practical implications of the actions rather than just the morality. In grandmother's place, I'd probably get the shot without telling the family and not see the kid, because that balances out the social and medical risks in my mind. I don't have a kid or grandkids, though, so I'm sure my POV would change a bit based on that.

e:

A lovely Reporter posted:

Screw their feelings. They're putting children at risk who cannot make the choice for themselves. Hell, in my opinion you'd be justified in forcing them to get their children vaccinated too.
Agreed, but until we decide that that's okay, you'll have situations like the above. We decided that giving blood to a JW kid was okay regardless of the parents' wishes, I can't understand why we don't with some basic vaccines.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I think one would be justified forcing the children to be vaccinated too, but the law disagrees. This isn't about feelings, it's about the actions that stem from them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I live in a country where only the very rich can afford to not vaccinate their children (because the fines will start adding up real quick after a year or so)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Screw their feelings. They're putting children at risk who cannot make the choice for themselves.
You realize that this describes a whole lot of things that parents do in the normal course of parenting, yes?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think one would be justified forcing the children to be vaccinated too, but the law disagrees. This isn't about feelings, it's about the actions that stem from them.
You can't really handwave the implications of removing the right for parents to make medical decisions on behalf of their child though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We can and should prevent parents from doing things that are harmful to their kids, though. Look at all the countries that have quite rightly banned all corporal punishment -- as it turns out, they aren't falling apart and parents aren't going to jail on a regular basis. We need to move away from the idea that children are the property of their parents, to do with what they will. Part of raising another human being is realizing that it comes with attendant obligations to the child, and to society as a whole.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Reckoning posted:

You realize that this describes a whole lot of things that parents do in the normal course of parenting, yes?

that doesn't make doing those things not bad though?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ravenfood posted:

We decided that giving blood to a JW kid was okay regardless of the parents' wishes, I can't understand why we don't with some basic vaccines.

Lack of a political will to do so. I hope that if Clinton wins and we get the ACA fleshed out better that included free and mandatory(barring medical exceptions) vaccination for all children in the US, full stop.

You don't want Sunflower Snowchild to get vaccinated because of your idiotic hipster/hippie/religious beliefs? Too bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lack of a political will to do so. I hope that if Clinton wins and we get the ACA fleshed out better that included free and mandatory(barring medical exceptions) vaccination for all children in the US, full stop.

You don't want Sunflower Snowchild to get vaccinated because of your idiotic hipster/hippie/religious beliefs? Too bad.

You know, even though I voted for Sanders in the primary, one upside to Clinton is that she lacks a lot of the really dumb pseudo-scientific baggage that Sanders (and to a much greater extent Jill Stein) has. I trust her more to potentially do something on this front than I would Sanders.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ravenfood posted:

Agreed, but until we decide that that's okay, you'll have situations like the above. We decided that giving blood to a JW kid was okay regardless of the parents' wishes, I can't understand why we don't with some basic vaccines.

There is literally supreme court precedent that it is ok to do that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

There's just not really any states that are willing to pony up the cash to engage in a paid-for mandatory vaccination program.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

You can't really handwave the implications of removing the right for parents to make medical decisions on behalf of their child though.

Look, I'm not going to waste my time pretending that this is in good faith.

So you're cool with letting parents starve their children, leave them outside in the cold, deny them blood transfusions and other necessary medical care? Why do you implicitly ignore the implications of parents choosing, against medical advice, to deny their own children necessary and preventative medical care? I can't imagine that you're also fine with parents beating the poo poo out of their kids to the point of being maimed, so why would you be ok with them being maimed by an easily preventable disease?

What do you say to the young women out there who will inevitably get cervical cancer because their parents refused them a vaccination?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

fishmech posted:

that doesn't make doing those things not bad though?
Are you in favor of making it illegal to buy your kid a skateboard, or allowing them to swim in the ocean, or walk home from school by themselves?

Solkanar512 posted:

So you're cool with letting parents starve their children, leave them outside in the cold, deny them blood transfusions and other necessary medical care? Why do you implicitly ignore the implications of parents choosing, against medical advice, to deny their own children necessary and preventative medical care? I can't imagine that you're also fine with parents beating the poo poo out of their kids to the point of being maimed, so why would you be ok with them being maimed by an easily preventable disease?

What do you say to the young women out there who will inevitably get cervical cancer because their parents refused them a vaccination?
Who gets to decide what is necessary? You could easily argue that no "reasonable" person would refuse the standard of care for a given condition. Can doctors give a child whatever care they deem necessary in the moment, even if it involves, say, the risky and invasive use of scalpels? If a child is suffering (emphasis on the suffering bit here) from a terminal illness, when does the state deign to grant the parents the right to decline further care? How do you feel about Jewish parents arranging a bris for their male children? (Which is rather different from a clinical circumcision, before we start debating the health benefits of circumcision again.) Is it abuse if a parent feeds their child a diet higher in saturated fats than the FDA recommends? The realistic outcome of your proposal is a removal of parents' decision making about the care of their children on all but the most superficial level, instead substituting the choices of whoever the government deems an "expert." Would you trust an appointee selected by George W. Bush or Donald Trump to make healthcare decisions for your child?

Freedom means that people have the right to make decisions you disagree with based on moral frameworks you disagree with. I'm generally in favor of vaccination, but frankly the only moral way to talk about making it mandatory is as an exigent exception to normal questions of parental consent and bodily integrity. This whole "well, they are savages whose beliefs are based on superstitious nonsense, whereas I am Very Smart and listen to the experts, so gently caress them" tone is some repugnant poo poo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you in favor of making it illegal to buy your kid a skateboard, or allowing them to swim in the ocean, or walk home from school by themselves?

Who gets to decide what is necessary? You could easily argue that no "reasonable" person would refuse the standard of care for a given condition. Can doctors give a child whatever care they deem necessary in the moment, even if it involves, say, the risky and invasive use of scalpels? If a child is suffering (emphasis on the suffering bit here) from a terminal illness, when does the state deign to grant the parents the right to decline further care? How do you feel about Jewish parents arranging a bris for their male children? (Which is rather different from a clinical circumcision, before we start debating the health benefits of circumcision again.) Is it abuse if a parent feeds their child a diet higher in saturated fats than the FDA recommends? The realistic outcome of your proposal is a removal of parents' decision making about the care of their children on all but the most superficial level, instead substituting the choices of whoever the government deems an "expert." Would you trust an appointee selected by George W. Bush or Donald Trump to make healthcare decisions for your child?

Freedom means that people have the right to make decisions you disagree with based on moral frameworks you disagree with. I'm generally in favor of vaccination, but frankly the only moral way to talk about making it mandatory is as an exigent exception to normal questions of parental consent and bodily integrity. This whole "well, they are savages whose beliefs are based on superstitious nonsense, whereas I am Very Smart and listen to the experts, so gently caress them" tone is some repugnant poo poo.

You do realise that vaccination is not just about the health of an individual, but also about herd immunity, right? When an idiot anti-vaxxer “makes decisions i disagree with based on moral frameworks i disagree with", they aren't just endangering their child, but many people who come into contact with them.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

You do realise that vaccination is not just about the health of an individual, but also about herd immunity, right? When an idiot anti-vaxxer “makes decisions i disagree with based on moral frameworks i disagree with", they aren't just endangering their child, but many people who come into contact with them.

Yeah, "we're going to non-consensually inject things into your body, not to save your life in the immediate circumstance, but to theoretically decrease the health risks of some other people you may come into contact with later" is even more morally fraught than transfusing someone against their will while they're bleeding to death in front of you. If there was a drug that demonstrably reduced violent tendencies and criminal behavior by 10% later in life if regularly administered to a child, but had a one-in-a-hundred-thousand chance of serious side effects, would you be in favor of making it mandatory?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Your example is extreme and has no bearing on this case. Not vaccinating a child is negligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
With not vaccinating you are saying "my beliefs matter more than the health of my children and others" - a thing that borders on criminal. Whatever you said- some needlessly cruel parable both to the hypothetical child and to anyone reading it.

• Locked thread