Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

In my experience, it's all about identity politics.

Antivaxxers are antivaxxers because that's they think they are supposed to be. It's the "left-wing" version of the abortion protestors who are more than happy to make use of the services they are protesting against because as long as they return to the picket line their identity remains intact.

I personally know a great girl who is a major anti-vaxxer, and has recently moved to hollywood to pursue her acting career, and honestly - it doesn't seem that it's about logic or evidence or anything like that to her. It's just another piece of her image, a tool to define who she is, and she doesn't care about the consequences because they aren't real to her.

It's a fashion accessory that grants a whole bunch of psychological benefits to those who hold that view.

I can also kind of see how it got started because let's be honest most doctors and the medical system in general is kinda poo poo, and it's not really surprising if people begin to suspect some of that incompetence is outright malevolance when you're the one repeatedly getting screwed over and conned.

This doesn't exactly justify their tendency to run to the nearest obvious con man who offers an alternative, but... I can at least understand the desire.

It's more than a fashion accessory, there are a lot of true believers. Anti-vaxxers are the leftwing equivalent of climate change deniers. Science doesn't back them up, however a few well paid nutjobs made fraudulent studies and unprovable claims about the so-called horrors and ineffectiveness of vaccines. Since the vaccines come from large corporations, a group that the left tends to find fairly repugnant, the anti-vaxxers jump in. The "evidence" they accept fits their preconceived notion of the world.

Its just the same as the climate change deniers. Anthropocentric Climate change is backed up by science, but a few wackjobs have a hosed up study here or there to defend their case. The rightwing has a large distrust of universities, which they denounce as "liberal and elitist" so they deny climate change. Same motivations and justifications as the anti-vaxxers, just with a different preconceived villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Theres no such thing as "pro-vaxx", there are Anti-Vaxxer's and everyone else who still has a goddamn brain left in their skull and aren't going to catch loving polio.

edit-Not trying to rip on you there, if it comes off like I am somehow, but the idea of labeling people who accept that vaccines are there own group seems to legitimize Anti-Vaxxer's by making people who support vaccinations seem like just another interest group.

edit #2-

Tigntink posted:

Sorry, I was using it in a joking manner.
Yeah I realize that, that's why I tried to edit my post quickly, I didn't want you to think I was harping on you specifically, your post just provided a perfect jumping off point for my rant.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 26, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

I argued for anti-vax on this forum a couple of years ago. Tell the truth my wife made the decision and I trusted her on it and didn't research it heavily myself. As a result the only material I was exposed to was her sources, which gives you a very skewed viewpoint. After I argued my case on an internet forum you can imagine how much push back I received, and set about rebuilding my beliefs from the ground up. I believed in the scientific method, but if a belief or idea gets there first and can be very hard to shake, especially when you have someone you trust implicitly reinforcing it.

That said, I moved on from that, but it left me at a difficult position. My kids are still unvaccinated. I've confronted my wife about it and it didn't go well, I've done as much as I can to argue for the evidence, and tried to get her to read Ben Goldacre's stuff as well, but its difficult to educate someone who doesn't want to get educated. When it came to a head a couple of years ago it got pretty heated, and basically the evident options were that she would leave me and take the kids if I tried to go over her head on it. We haven't revisited it for 2 years.

It leaves me torn. There's no evidence supporting us holding off on vaccinations, but by the same token if I force the issue I could tear our family apart, which will bring considerable harm as well. I'm not really bringing this up for E/N woe is me stuff, but to paint how difficult it can be to overcome the idea of anti-vax. It endures because it strikes at the heart of that which we hold dear, and as a result successfully arguing for and convincing people of an evidence based approach has been muddied up with decades of emotional propaganda.

Tbh I'll probably edit this out in a couple of days because its pretty private I guess, but I think its important to know what the inside looks like, with families that are locked into this path due to the persistence of just one half.

Is being married more important to you than your kids staying alive? If you don't get them vaccinated you are a child murderer. I don't care how "difficult" a position you are in, you now know the correct choice to keep your children alive and you are to pussy to do anything about it because you will lose your wife and access to your children. Their survival is more important than your access to them or your marriage.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

This is not true and not helpful.

Bullshit. He puts not only his children, but other children at an increased risk of death by not giving them vaccinations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

To make sure I've got this right, I must destroy my family's sense of security, my ability to be a role model for my kids, my ability to support my wife in caring for those kids, and essentially remodel my entire life.

Great plan.

Yes, it sucks. And yes, you must. A live child raised without you is infinitely preferable to a dead one. A live child who feels insecure is infinitely preferable to a dead one. And your good feelings about being a provider, or role model, or YOUR LIFE is irrelevant. The kids come first, no matter how hard it makes your life, or unsatisfying.

sleepingbuddha posted:

Risk, yes, but to call someone a child murderer is Godwin level of hyperbole. This goon certainly should stand up for getting this kids vaccinated, but calling him a murderer is not helpful.

Perhaps my language is strong, but I'd rather be called a hyperbolic jackass than leave any wiggle room in this about what the correct decision is. When he was ignorant, his choice was defendable, albeit incorrect. Now that he is aware of what the consequences can be of not vaccinating, he is at best being HIGHLY negligent and selfish. I consider someone willing to actively risk the life of a child because it makes them more comfortable no better than a murderer.

Moatman posted:

If his wife is antivax, then there's a good chance she listens to other "alternative medicine" bullshit, too. If she leaves and takes the kids and what I just said is true, then the kids are in an even worse situation.

True, but vaccines are the best preventative medicine we have ever invented. Alternative health may kill them, but they will certainly have a better life with vaccines.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 29, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Caros posted:

And I am once again going to make it clear, I believe in mandatory vaccinations. I think that the Jenny McCarthy anti vaccination crowd should have to suck it or be excluded from society.

For the record I am also in favour of saying that these Christian scientists and so forth should be excluded from public schools because they don't have their vax cards and so forth. What are I am not in favour of is the argument that has been made in this thread that we should take away the children of people who have a real faith based belief that God doesn't want them to vaccinate.

The number of these people is so small that it won't make a real dent in herd immunity, they are in a tiny minority compared to the millions who cannot get vaccinated for other reasons. And as I mentioned earlier it's a really lovely Hill to die on, since the optics of taking a child from her mother because of her religious beliefs will feed the persecution complex and in my view will lead to more idiots trying not to get vaccinated simply out of spite from what the gubberment wants.

If you do not vaccinate a child, you are a negligent and abusive parent. It doesn't matter what your reason is, it doesn't matter whether it is your deeply held conviction that God is against vaccinations, or that you deeply and truly believe Jenny McCarthy would be mad at you for vaccinating or that you deeply and truly believe Zeus would be peeved at you if you had a vaccination. It is a health hazard, not just for the unvaccinated child, but for the community at large. Yes it may be a miniscule percentage of the population that is putting their children at risk, but that is irrelevant. The children have the right to live without Measles, Mumps and Rubella. Agreeing to any exceptions to childhood vaccinations, that are not grounded in the potential for serious medical complications, is tantamount to infecting the child yourself. You are arguing in favor of childhood disease.

I have more respect for the people who believe that vaccinations cause autism then the "God says we can't" people, because at least they are arguably doing what they believe is in their child's best interest rather than appeasing their invisible dictator from a book. Both groups are still horrifically wrong, vaccines are the BEST preventative medicine we as a species have ever come up with. If you refuse to vaccinate a child you should not be allowed to continue abusing them through neglect.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 5, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Part of the difficulty in treating the anti-vaccination movement is that followers of the anti-vaccination movement don't trust authority figures unless they're some sort of big celebrity personality. While it's true that Wakefield is the source of a lot of the anti-vaccination hysteria, it didn't really catch on in the US until Jenny McCarthy latched onto it.... Maybe people who are pro-vaccination need to provide a few anecdotal stories of their own

How? Go around saying, "My kid got vaccinated and doesn't have Autism or Polio." The whole point of vaccines is so that after you receive them, there is no story to tell, you are set for life (or the year in the case of flu).

Without a large population of people visibly succumbing to the ravages of preventable diseases to act as a warning, what sort of anecdote would you want?

Though it would be great if some Granola-Lobby Fuckwit Celebrity, who lives off Organic Goatgrass and fluoride-free water came out publicly and vocally in favor of vaccines. That would do a lot to staunch the bleeding.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Diseases exist. Vaccines help provide resistance against diseases. Diseases can kill. Not vaccinating needlessly increases the risks of disease killing a child under your care. How is that not reasonable based on anything but legalistic pedantry?

You do realize that the law is based on Pedantry to an insane degree right?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Are there loud, outspoken male antivaxxers?

Like, I am aware of a few people who are anti-vaccine, but they are all women. I have yet to meet an outspoken male antivaxxer. Is there a higher incidence of female antivaxxer's than male? Are there stats to back it up? Or is it just the loudest proponents are female and mask the true number of both genders that harbor that belief? Or is it just my anecdotal experience in my social sphere that seems to imply there are more female antivaxxers?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'll venture to guess that if you do find more women expressing antivax views, it's probably because of the sexist division of labor that puts child rearing in the domain of women, and vaccination is largely a child rearing issue.

I mean, that wouldn't surprise me, which was why I phrased my question as I did. I just hadn't encountered one before, all the people who are vocal about it in my sphere are women and I found that puzzling.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

snorch posted:

There's nothing really wrong with Waldorf education relative to normal public schooling, its alternative nature just sort of attracts "crunchy" (god I hate that term, can we get a better word?) folks and everything that comes with it.

I prefer "granola" to "crunchy".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pegged Lamb posted:

Is that even possible?

It is incredibly possible, I'm no genius but I read the Divine Comedy at age 6 and could also add, subtract, multiply and divide single digit numbers. I couldn't tie my shoes by myself though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Does anybody remember learning to read? I thought everyone forgot that.

Yes, my parents had this big book of Dr. Seuss stories they would read to me. Then later on they handed me the book and had me read it and helped correct words I was having problems saying. Later they would type up the story into the computer and make sure I could read it without their help or the help of pictures. I got prizes for each one I was able to read the typed up version of without help.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

It still blows my mind that the two states in the US with sensible vaccine policies (no non-medical exemptions) are West Virginia and Mississippi.

It's West Virginia, everyone wants to keep their Wife and Sister safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure that part was a joke. Not a good joke mind you, but a joke nonetheless.

• Locked thread