Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Argue posted:

I've posted in other threads about how the bishops here in the Philippines have been fighting reproductive health care with a bunch of scientifically refuted claims. We're still working on beating them on that front, but in the meantime, I'm sad to say that the bishops have now set their sights on vaccines. Anti-vaxxers are relatively fringe in this country, but support from the bishops is big news, as the population is predominantly Catholic. Here's the press release on their official site. I'm really pissed because we're already fighting a losing battle about contraceptives and now they're what, trying to spread those efforts thin by requiring everyone to fight this bunk too? And to think that this is on the heels of a recent measles outbreak.

Fortunately, our Department of Health issued a statement that their claims are nonsense, but then again, it doesn't seem like their support helps a lot.

I don't know how the Catholic Church works, but can't the Vatican quash this? Vaccines surely aren't one of their bugbears (please tell me they aren't one of their bugbears).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It may not be medically accurate or remotely sincere, but that doesn't mean it isn't good business.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's (temporarily) caused by trauma? That explains it, it's not caused by vaccinations, but by scary needles.

• Locked thread