Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cache Cab posted:

The issue for me is the level of toxic substances they put in the vaccines. I only shop at organic co-ops, store everything in glass bottles instead of plastic, and don't allow any unnatural cleaning products into my house, so why would I pump my kids full of inorganic substances?

The main problem is that these chemicals don't have a long track record. Every few years we learn that something was bad, and they've made a "better" vaccine.

I understand that some kids might get sick and maybe even die due to a lack of herd immunity, but how many are having mental issues from unregulated substances we're injecting into them? There are lots of mysterious deaths in childhood that have no answer, and vaccines can't be ruled out. Asking me to choose between vaccinating my kids and having other kids die is like asking me to vote for Bush or Kerry. I simply won't (I vote Green Party).

I think there is a large market out there for organic vaccines. I would definitely give my kids something to help them fight infections and diseases, but I will not do so until I am 100% sure it's safe. Can't somebody make vaccines fresh, without the need for preservatives? Even if they're ten times as expensive I'd use them. I want my kids to be safe, but right now neither option is going to achieve that.

By not choosing one way or the other you've already made a choice that kids that cannot get vaccinations for legitimate medical reasons will die due to the lack of herd immunity. You can't simply decide to not make a choice. If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are there people seriously worried about aluminium? The stuff is everywhere and in everything. I've never heard of people being in arms about cans and such.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
And cookware, deodorant, and a million other things. Aluminium is one of the backbone materials of our society. I guess they all fall under the same logic of it's alright in large chunks outside, but once in me as atoms crap. Still, I didn't know that people actually had concerns about it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The problem is that religious people tend to congregate together in communities, leading to concentrations of non immunized people, which lets diseases fester and survive when otherwise the over all population immunity would lead to them eventually dying off. A good example is a megachurch near DFW that lead to a measles outbreak in it's community. IF the religiously exempt people were spread among the population evenly like people who's vaccinations doesn't take it wouldn't be a much of a problem.

Sadly, this is not the case, so the needs of society trump people's right to be idiots about their health. Do what we did with integration and send the 101st airborne to these places and get everyone their shots.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I enjoy watching people spend their time worrying about catastrophic pandemics caused by samples escaping the CDC, and given the actual risk is 0 then it would appear that the benefits do outweigh the risks. It's been decades since anyone has died from lab exposure.

Besides, what do you have against Hydrogen bombs? Shouldn't you be upset about landmines, or cluster bombs, or something that actually gets used and kills people? Does the thought of vials in labs and missiles in silos, covered in dust and cobwebs really scare you that much?

Who are you to decide if it's too risky or not? Are you a scientist? A doctor? How can you go and say people don't have any clue of the risks and prattle on and on about holding science accountable to some sort of self defined utility when you aren't even in the field?

Oh, and 1978 was the last person killed, and that was 2 years before it was declared eradicated. So it hasn't killed anyone since it was eradicated.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 12, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Never mind the fact that it's not a bad idea when the risks are almost or at 0 to keep something around just in case.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That clip is right. This will only stop once enough people die from preventable diseases. Then it will be back again in the future. The only other solution is enforcing vaccinations. Kind of like how we try to enforce air quality controls on industry.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Because deep down you'd know that you're a lovely person. It'd be easy to come up with some fake herbal supplement product and claim X, Y, and Z for a quick buck, but most people don't because most people have a conscience.

lovely people willing to scam the gullible create groups like anti-vaxxers

But then it becomes BIG GOVERNMENT and causes a bunch of nutcase libertarians to believe that it's a conspiracy to sterilize conservatives or some other stupid loving thing. There's no way to win here except through really, really good science education.

The thing is we don't really lose much if the libertarians don't like it. Let them refuse, get arrested and vaccinated against their will. If they try and resist violently then it's a few less nutjobs in the world. Like school integration, sometimes you just have to use force for the good of society, even against parts that don't wish it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ActusRhesus posted:

Can we just agree...

Ha! Good luck!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm also not sure subdivisions are as homogeneous as said. There's a lot of people that live in just one subdivision, they aren't all going to be of the same political bent any more than a small town might be, or an apartment complex.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why debunk them at all. This is why the government exists. Just use force to change their behavior.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

Using force to change behavior causes the fringe to develop an identity and transform into a subculture. These people vote, and if their beliefs can be sold back to them you wind up with charters and the home schooling movement. The best use of state power is to systematically target and remove the actors or groups that act as loci for, or profit from, the continuation of the erroneous beliefs.

I disagree. Shoring up religious exemptions, restarting programs from the early days of vaccinations to vaccinate kids in school, and other uses of force are the best way to go. The government doesn't need to target individuals, and there will always be crazies on the fringe.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We can make home schooled children and private schools require vacinations too. Then the only response is to do it or go crazy bundy ranch style, and that we can solve with JDAM's.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What the gently caress is this vaccine shedding I keep seeing the idiots talk about? Do they have some BS about how the vaccine causes you to spread some sort of super aids or something?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't understand why they always freak out about these sorts of things? The US government can literally hand you a gun and tell you that you are now a soldier, deal with it and go shoot some people. How is that not an order of magnitude above the government telling you to take your god drat shots? I mean, do people not understand what exactly the government can do, and what historical governments could do?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jakcson posted:

You're probably right.

Mystery ingredients in fast food/microwave dinners, asbestos, and all kinds of things that were widely used before they were found to be extremely harmful (kinda like those prescription medications with side effects that are worse than the problem you are trying to solve), probably have all contributed to the prevalence of disease and genetic ailments.

On the other hand, they could've always been there, and at this point maybe all we really need is to start cleaning the genetic code that we give to our kids, Gattaca style (yes, that is the proper way to spell the movie title; eat it, nerds).

Bro, do you even understand genetics?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I dunno, the unknown chemicals in roofies might cause germinal mutations, adding further instability to the gene pool, brah.

Palace of Hate posted:

I'll give you a hint: someone who understands genetics would know to differentiate somatic and gametic cells

:hfive:

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
To be fair not many people know what the flu actually is. The word gets tossed around a lot for other bugs.

• Locked thread