Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
In the wake of the anti-vax movement picking up a couple more celebrities (Jay Cutler and Kristin Cavallari), I've been browsing a lot of the sites by these people. They are... frightening. And more demonstrably dangerous than your average conspiracy nut. They do not seem to be shrinking in number either.

Now, I highly doubt we're gonna see any anti-vaxxers on this forum but I was curious if anyone had any insight into these people. Why are these people so numerous and why are they so intractable? Have you ever tried to engage these people? Did they have any point at all? How do you know that YOU'RE not the Big Pharma sheeple they say you are? (I didn't explore the sites very deeply but they seem unmoved that the autism study was debunked because they blame vaccines for a billion other things.)

I mean, they must know they're being vilified, right? That diseases are making a comeback and they're getting blamed for it? Like here! http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/20/thanks-to-anti-vaxxers-mumps-are-back-what-s-next.html How do they deal with that?

Now, me, I've met exactly one anti-vaxxer in my life, and get this, she was a speaker at my autism class when I was getting my master's in education. (She is the mother of an autistic child, and I think this was before the autism study was revealed to be fraudulent. I don't know if my teacher knew she was going to go on about vaccines.) Basically, she summed up her argument like this:
1) Autism went up around the same time vaccinations went up.
2) Vaccinations are scheduled right around the same time autism tends to appear.
3) There's some weird poo poo in vaccines, man.

That is a circumstantial argument at best, obviously, but she seemed to find it convincing. She said she did worry about her kids catching some horrible disease but that was a tradeoff she was willing to face.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Dr Pepper posted:

How in the world is this "movement" still alive?

Also I remember somebody here having a link to a website showing pictures of the sort of horrible diseases children got before we started vaccinating against them.

I think that's a good counter, because these people are running off pure emotion as is so might as well hit with the emotional sledgehammer.

You'd think, but there was a thing on Salon or Slate or something the other day where they tried that on anti-vaxxers and it only made the problem worse.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Herd immunity is a myth, guys. Vaccines only last two to ten years so obviously vaccines can't confer herd immunity when so many of the vaccinated people aren't immune anymore.

That wasn't remotely true, of course, but that's what these people believe, and that's because of some doctor named Russell Blaylock. I don't know who this guy is but he likes to call people "collectivists." Who the hell is this guy?

Oh, and I wanted to share this, because this paragraph from an anti-vaxxer, responding to the articles accusing anti-vaxxers of bringing back measles, inspired me to start the thread:

http://gianelloni.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/thanks-pharma-you-created-the-anti-vaccine-movement/

quote:

I’ll end with the sentence in the article that said: “I hope the anti-vaccine movement somehow loses steam”. Wake up Pharma. Wake the hell up. There is no such thing as an “anti-vaccine movement”. You created it. You got greedy and added 49 vaccines to the childhood schedule before a child starts Kindergarten. You created an entire generation of sick children. We know them as vaccine injured child. Guess what? These children ARE vaccinated. You know, the GREATER GOOD. The parents believed the lie. They did what they were told. The took their kids in for the shots. This movement is called truth. And it will never lose steam. Not until you stop harming and injuring children. This movement is only growing. This movement is just getting it’s steam. Your articles like the one today, they fuel us.

And as one final note, the anti-vaxx movement knows no political boundaries. It is shared by crazy "all-natural" hippies and science-hating Tea Party moms alike.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Anti-vaxxers claim vaccines are more dangerous now because kids get way more vaccines these days.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The Anti-vaccination movement: Measles ripped my flesh

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Thanks. I wanna change the title of this thread so bad, I thought I could since I started it but I guess I can't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
If you truly believed that you were saving your child from horrible illness, I don't think your kid's lack of social life would do much to change your mind.

• Locked thread