Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Symptoms of mumps include fever, headaches, muscle aches tiredness, loss of appetite, and swollen or tender salivary glands under the ears on one or both sides of the head.

A common complication in men is testicular inflammation, which can cause infertility. Other rare but serious complications include meningitis, encephalitis, inflammation of the ovaries and deafness. Symptoms appear within 25 days of infection, but the virus can be spread before the ill person has any symptoms.

This is Darwin Awards material right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Axolotl posted:

I think most men who are stridently anti-vaccine tend to be in occupations where they profit from their hucksterism, like naturopaths and homeopaths, or paranoiacs. Chiropractic is rife with this bullshit.

Uhh, but the people who profit the most from the sick are Big Pharma? Selling antibiotics to someone for weeks/months is orders of magnitude more profitable than selling them cheap vaccines a once or twice in their life.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What I'm saying is that by far the most profit pharmaceutical industry makes is from making actual drugs. Those are the expensive poo poo they make. Vaccines, by comparison, are ridiculously cheap and you get 1 or 2 shots in your entire life, and that's that.

The people who profit the most from this whole vaccine scare is Big Pharma. Makes you think.

Not really, but my point is, a lot of these nutcases are also vilifying ~Big Pharma~, because vaccines are poison and made by them, and at the same time doing them a gigantic favour by letting them sell a whole shitton more drugs than they would if everyone just got their shots.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where I live, vaccinations are mandatory by law. Failing to get your kid vaccinated without a good reason means a 200-500e fine every 6 months for each parent, so up to 2000e per year.

It works. Other countries in Europe have measles outbreaks, we have >90% vaccination rate and don't have them. Only the most hardcore cases of antivax will actually pay for the privilege of not vaccinating.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

poopinmymouth posted:

Neither is it "how it works" that justice is served and in the end everything works out, when following our current very arbitrary "justice" system.
I don't know what your justice system is like, but here's a really simple and easily understood quote on how it works everywhere that isn't insane:

quote:

It is more important that innocence should be protected, than it is, that guilt be punished; for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world, that all of them cannot be punished.... when innocence itself, is brought to the bar and condemned, especially to die, the subject will exclaim, 'it is immaterial to me whether I behave well or ill, for virtue itself is no security.' And if such a sentiment as this were to take hold in the mind of the subject that would be the end of all security whatsoever
Or the short version: it's better to let ten criminals walk than one innocent suffer.

If you have a better idea, please do bring it up, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Speaking of which, I did some Internet research once, and it appears that Dr. Strangelove was the origin for a huge portion of the modern anti-fluoride movement, insomuch as it didn't seem to exist before that movie's release, because people are apparently incomprehensibly stupid.

:allears:

This is just wonderful.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zeitgueist posted:

No, it actually works a surprising amount of the time.

Yeah, this is super true. You wouldn't think people could just build a rocket and pop to the moon and back in under 10 years, but someone threw large sums of cash at the issue and it happened.

Then again, antivax goes well with moonhoax, so who knows!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Someone posted the old anti-vaxx body count page.

quote:

The United States Anti-Vaccination Movement is composed of a variety of individuals ranging from former doctors who should know better, to semi-celebrities who have no medical training, to anti-government conspiracy theorists who distrust anything that the government says. They all hold onto the mistaken belief that autism is caused by receiving childhood vaccines.

Bold mine. Reading that again, I'm getting more convinced by the day that anti-vaccine movement was really started by disgruntled pharmacy workers, who want to make more money. Vaccines are pocket change compared to the amount of cash you can rake in via antibiotics, and I see no other reason why a doctor would do this. Short of them having schizophrenia.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

reagan posted:

Pharmacists can give vaccines, too. I'm not following your logic.

A pharmacist makes maybe $100 (probably a lot less) off of your shot, and it's a couple times per life. If you don't get your shot and get something heavy, enjoy eating thousands worth of drugs a week.

Vaccines really are peanuts compared to the revenue an actual sick person generates.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where I live, failing to get your kids to the (free) clinic and get their shots costs each parent 200-500 euros every 6 months.

That's up to 2000e per year. Not ridiculously high, but more than high enough that the vaccination rate is well above 90%, despite conspiracy theories being really popular lately (anti-vaxx, chemtrails, you name it).

Then there's places like Scandinavia where they don't have mandatory vaccinations and yet the rate is >95%, which is obviously ideal, but some places just aren't ready for it yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I got most of my shots as a kid during the "regular doctor checkup" things where they take your height/weight etc, during school years (got my last at 15 or 16). Before that, it's up to the parents, but during school it's like a field trip. Nobody asked me anything, they just check the file and then give the shot to everyone that doesn't have any outstanding or previous conditions that might be problematic in combination with the vaccine.

And yeah, it doesn't cost the parent anything.

Somehow we still ended up with nearly 10% kids unvaccinated in the last 5 or so years. I have no idea how that happens, or why people are paying the fines instead. Crippling autism I guess :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Peel posted:

It's (temporarily) caused by trauma? That explains it, it's not caused by vaccinations, but by mental parents.

FTFY

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://savage.news/news/anti-vaxx-parents-home-remedies/

:rip:

I guess if you can't be a good example, you can at least be a horrible warning.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 9, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I live in a country where only the very rich can afford to not vaccinate their children (because the fines will start adding up real quick after a year or so)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In modern world, children are not a property, they are a right. As any right, they can be taken away under the right circumstances, CPS exists for that exact reason. Being an antivaxxer nutjob is the right circumstances. There, I said it.

I'm not even saying take them away permanently, antivaxxers can be normal people outside that one thing, often they just got sold fear and loathing by idiots on the internet, and simply don't know better. Just take them away long enough to have them vaccinated, it takes like 60 seconds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

OK, so in what other circumstances can the state take children away from parents and inject them with foreign substances on the basis of the parents having beliefs you disagree with?

Any, where the child in question is going to have a significantly better quality of life for it. Let's start with food and water, shall we? Or is eating and drinking also subject to beliefs?

And continue with vaccinations and antibiotics. Not feeding your child is against the law. Not having your child attend school is against the law. Basic health care is no different, and shouldn't be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

And who gets to make that determination?

CPS

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, that would not be OK. What's up with that strawman/slippery slope combo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it's not that I don't get it. I'd be all for voluntary vaccination everywhere. However, I live in a country where it's mandatory, and we still have lower rates than say, Finland, where it's voluntary. Because people here will whine to their doctors about their super special snowflake child and how vaccination will give them autism until said doctor just pushes the exempt button so they can get on with their lives. It's still a small number, but it is a number.

I'd be for voluntary *everything*, I'm an anarcho-commie shitlord. But people are too stupid. Maybe one day we can try to cross that bridge, but that day is not today in most, if not all places around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

So what are those precepts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_rights

• Locked thread