Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

forgot my pants posted:

I have a relative who is hardcore anti-vaccine. She is opposed to all forms of Western medicine. I'm not sure her children have ever seen a doctor. Her last pregnancy she had two twins delivered breech. It would have been illegal to home birth them in the state she lives in due to the elevated risk. So she searched on the internet for a couple in a neighboring state that would let her deliver them at their home. She ended up traveling there to give birth. She received all kinds of "cred" in the online communities she's a member of for not going to the hospital despite her risky pregnancy. This is only half of her craziness, but it underscores how the anti-vaccine movement is part of a broader anti-medicine movement, and for many people it is an essential part of their identity. These people derive their social esteem from having such outlandish beliefs. That makes it particularly difficult to change their minds. I also think these views would have a lot of difficulty spreading without the internet making it possible for anti-vaxxers to reinforce each other's opinions.

:stare:

I...I didn't even know that breach vaginal birth was legal anywhere in this country, though I suppose that shouldn't surprise me. I probably don't need to tell you, but your aunt was lucky as hell. It's not an uncommon outcome in breach births for the baby to suffocate and the mother to hemorrhage to death.

It creepy to think of the anti-vaccine people being a whole pathological lifestyle rather than one very wrong belief. It reminds me of pro-anerexia/pro-bolemia people in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread