Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I had a lot of friends who where anti-vaccine but have came around. What actually turned that around was the fact I also have a few friends with legitimately autistic (including one kid who still cant speak at age 7) kids who have gone a pro-vaccination crusade. For some reason autism mothers have more weight than my GP friend in opinions around that part of my social circle.

Whatever, at least everyones gone and gotten their kids vaccinated now.

edit: Oh and one of the local "naturopaths" decided everyone should get vaccinated because the theory of vaccination is very similar to the theory of homeopathy. That one caught me by surprise, because it is actually sort of kind of true. So if you have any homeopathy loving friends who are also into vaccination, point out the irony of being opposed to a proven medicine that prevents the big danger by exposing the body to a massively diluted fragment of it, whilst approving the unproven medicine that supposedly prevents the big danger by exposing the body to a massively diluted fragment of it.

The important thing is results, scientific understanding IMHO is secondary imporance to stopping a loving plague.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I managed to convince a hippy friend to start vaccinating her kid the other day by just talking through her concerns one at a time with her. I explained the mercury thing by first pointing out thimersol(sp?) isn't actually IN kids vaccines as far as I was aware, but even if it is, its part of a molecule we just piss back out again. She had concerns about autism, so I explained the history of medical fraud with that one and even if it was true the odds of brain damage from it are far lower than the odds of pretty savage brain damage from measles or the flu.

Finally she had a concern about it not being "natural", so I told her how her loving immune system works, and immunisations about the most "natural" thing in modern medicine and in fact we've been innoculating children in one form or another for a couple of hundred years.

Finally she noted the cowpox welt on her mothers arm. I said to her "Well, lets hope smallpox never does the rounds again, and we'll worry about that hosed up vaccine then"

She said she wanted to talk to a doctor about starting vaccinations on her son, so I've given her the number of a friend who's a GP (Whos hippy friendly but fairly stern about not giving in to pseudoscience guff).

Oh, and naturalnews.com should be removed from the loving internet as a health hazard to people with poor science education.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 5, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The problem with fully infectious diseases as biological agents is viruses and bacteria tend to be pretty bad at sticking to nationalist scripts. Sure they'll make a mess of the target country. Then their neighbors, then the airbase your guys are in next to that, then downtown new york and before long your superweapon just blew up in yr base killing yr dudes.

Which is why Anthrax and the like are far more popular choices since they cant really pass between humans.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The thing with the existing smallpox we have on ice is we know how to stop it dead in its tracks, like we have before.

Its not the virus I worry about.

I really don't think a human-to-human transmissible virus is every going to be used in a biological weapons attack by any sane government agent. Its too easy for it to find its way back home.

As I said, theres a reason they like Anthrax for this sort of poo poo, because it cant transmit human-to-human its pretty easy to contain the damage to the intended target.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The irony of homeopath loons being into anti-vax, is vaccines are probably the only example of their theory being sort of kind of correct. A small amount of bad repurposed to make good.

Of course immunology doesnt propose drowning the bug to the point of non existance in "memory" water. So I dunno, a wizzard did it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oh, and assholes crashed a government vaccination panel and shut it down in my home town.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/31734325/anti-vaccination-activists-crash-perth-immunisation-seminar/

Theres video in there of it happening, if you can handle yahoos lovely video streaming.

• Locked thread