Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

OneEightHundred posted:

Even that's basically irrelevant at this point considering most important vaccines are available in thimerosal-free versions anyway.

Not irrelevant since there are chemicals other than Thimerosal (Which yeah, has been removed for like 15 some odd years now) that the movement keep pointing to as dangerous. Which is part of his point. Aluminum is found in vaccines as well but because they don't understand that because something can be toxic, doesn't mean it will be just by touching a human. Simply feeding a baby normally for a month puts a lot more aluminum into the child than all the vaccines combined.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I doubt there's a serious anti-vaccination contingent among actual doctors, but I've been surprised before.

Sadly relevent and of considerable concern.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

No one has to worry about Burkas or other religious garments magically appearing on them if they come within 15ft of someone from a culture with that style of clothing though.

It really shouldn't have to be pointed out that these illnesses do not respect religious beliefs nor hold their own exemptions. The only exemptions that should be allowed should be due to medical considerations, not religious.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I'd entertain the notion of religious exemptions to vaccinations as long as there were rules in place to minimize risk. And one of the first things that'd have to be put in place would be forbidding those unvaccinated from leaving the country at all so there's no worry they'd end up someplace without a vaccination program since there are cases where kids have traveled and brought back something.

But sadly that punishes children who have no say at all, and is just easier to say gently caress the religious bullshit.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

MrGreenShirt posted:

Yes, but isn't that what the parents are doing as well by not getting their children vaccinated?

Kinda leery on drawing an equivalence between the fun a child can have on a trip anywhere and a visit to take a needle in the arm. Yeah, the kids should be vaccinated sure, but that's a necessity for their own safety. Not so much an international plane ride.

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know, but in a world where literally everyone except a tiny minority have to get vaccinated it seems like the risk is probably pretty small.If herd immunity can seriously be compromised by such a tiny fraction of people it was worthless anyway.

I don't recall anyone ever saying herd immunity was 100% effective and a guarantee that if X percentage of the population gets innoculated everyone regardless is safe so yeah, that tiny portion is still a risk. Even those with weakened immune systems and can't get the vaccination are a risk so no reason to allow that religious exemption when it only adds to the danger.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Sure, 1.9 million out of 300 million is a drop in the bucket. But how many of that 1.9 million are in this city or that town where herd immunity could be seriously impacted due to hundreds or thousands of healthy individuals not being vaccinated and becoming a risk?

The fact that there have been 19 cases of Measles in NYC in 2014 alone goes to show that even a city that populated can run a reasonable risk of infection. And it didn't help that there was an outbreak last year among the Orthodox Jewish community of Brooklyn who refused vaccinations on religious grounds also. Which I should add is one of the examples why I think those going unvaccinated should be prevented from travel.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

The 2-10% claim sounds like a huge case of bullshit since the U.S. vaccinates the majority of newborns (Best I can find is around 75% of almost four million newborns in 2010) on a yearly basis and only get a few hundred confirmed cases since the 90s. But the number keeps rising due to anti-vaxxers, not half being from failed vaccinations.

And you're still advocating for an increase in risk for no other purpose than faith that has no benefit at all.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 5, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

But I be done seen about everything
When I see an Amish man fly

Bel Shazar posted:

Legally, yes. Socially, no.

Considering how in this case the legal justification can and would have wide ranging social benefits I'm really not sure how there can be a distinction between the two here. And the kidney example falls pretty flat when you're looking at a case of two people at best versus a few spreading it to dozens spreading it to hundreds spreading it... etc.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah I don't understand why wasting time on legal wrangling to have policies making it difficult for their lives is any better or much more morally acceptable. There is no benefit anywhere in addition to opening up the can of worms of an actual religious discrimination suit, I would think. Also as someone previously brought up some number of posts ago, the Supreme Court has already ruled in the past that social health and dangers trump individual concerns that has upheld earlier vaccination programs.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

And that is not my argument. I am saying that I do not believe I have the right to tell another parent that they have to make the same choice I did.

But you already support denying services to those going unvaccinated which pretty much amounts to the same thing, only with a time-wasting middle step.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Granted we can blame the C.I.A. for validating Muslim fears, But they're not completely to blame. And there has been at least one murder by the Taliban that hints they were very much against vaccine programs back in 2007.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I'm a bit skeptical since the child got a shot and not the nasal spray, but I guess it's still possible for the kid to come down with Hypoxia via that method. It's been observed before with other vaccines with kids under a few years, so makes sense they'd ban its use for those under five.

This is what I mean

Sadly, seems like the kid got a poo poo card in life. Condolences to her and the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

The Chiropracty discussion seems to come and go quickly, but I haven't seen it brought up yet that neck manipulations can increase your chance of stroke. So even though there doesn't seem to be consensus on just how big of a risk this poses (Most opinions say it's a lower end risk), at least be aware to not get your neck fondled if you're only having back pain and be mindful of any dizziness, blurred vision, or any other abnormal feelings after you do get a neck manipulation and see a real doctor immediately.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 15, 2014

• Locked thread