Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

On one hand I really hope that a lot of anti-vaxxers are going to "holy poo poo we're stupid, quick go get vaccines now!" On the other hand I just know that there are going to be some screaming about how this is just a conspiracy by big pharma to deliberately create an epidemic to squash the anti-vax movement. Because obviously if they wanted measles to be exterminated by now it would have been.

Yeah. There are plenty of them who will just latch onto other theories to justify their position. A while back I had a lady explain to me that chemtrails were big pharmacy response to the homeopathic movement and anti-vaxxers. Her position was that as people moved away from vaccines and modern medicine, stuff like cancer and autism was naturally decreasing. Therefore, big pharma was spreading them via chemtrails to hide their evil deeds. I tried to explain the elementary school concept of diffusion to her as a counterpoint to why that wouldn't even work, but she was having none of it... This is also the woman who let her 8 year old decide whether or not to get vaccinated after hearing "all the facts." Guess what the 8 year old choose, obviously of her own accord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This person has a worldview of diffusion that is completely incompatible with reality. She believes that you can make drugs stronger by diluting them, chemtrails make perfect sense from that perspective.

That's true, but anecdotally, most people I've met who are into the homeopathic stuff don't really care or even know about the batshit explanation for why it works. They just think it's "natural" and something big pharma doesn't like.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

God damnit, NPR -

Are The Vaccine Court's Requirements Too Strict?

On the upside, there are a ton of folks in the site and Facebook comments yelling at NPR for suggesting that we should make the standards lower and for not understanding that correlation does not equal causation. It's rather refreshing, actually.

Yeah, this was playing on the radio during the portion of my commute with the worst traffic. So many profanities. My favorite part was the boo-hooing on how no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't find a single doctor to testify on their behalf.

quote:

"Doctors don't want to go out on that limb," Mary Wildman says.

As if they think they're entitled to a doctor who supports their position. FFS medicine isn't a democracy where all you need is some brave soul to stand up for your set of facts to validate them.

At least the UM professor pointed out that the standard in that court is already as low as it can go.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Prurient Squid posted:

Didn't Monsanto make Agent Orange, the defoliant that lead to birth defects in Vietnam? Anyway, that's not my point, you can swap Monsanto for any scummy pharmaceutical corporation. All I'm saying is if option A is supporting corporate malpractice and option B is supporting dangerous pseudoscience then I'm going for option C!

Then the robber said "Your wallet or your life" and I just looked at him and replied "No thank you, I'm going for option C, which is..."

• Locked thread