Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've posted in other threads about how the bishops here in the Philippines have been fighting reproductive health care with a bunch of scientifically refuted claims. We're still working on beating them on that front, but in the meantime, I'm sad to say that the bishops have now set their sights on vaccines. Anti-vaxxers are relatively fringe in this country, but support from the bishops is big news, as the population is predominantly Catholic. Here's the press release on their official site. I'm really pissed because we're already fighting a losing battle about contraceptives and now they're what, trying to spread those efforts thin by requiring everyone to fight this bunk too? And to think that this is on the heels of a recent measles outbreak.

Fortunately, our Department of Health issued a statement that their claims are nonsense, but then again, it doesn't seem like their support helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Fionnoula posted:

The last official statement I saw from the Vatican was that Catholics are permitted (possibly even morally obligated) to vaccinate, even using the vaccines developed using cell lines derived from voluntarily aborted foetuses. It is considered imperative, of course, that they write letters and put pressure on the pharmaceutical community to continue trying to develop versions of the vaccines that do not contain those cell lines, but in the meantime they are to use the vaccine because to do otherwise would "put the health of their children and of the population as a whole at risk".
http://www.cogforlife.org/vaticanresponse.htm

HPV vaccine, on the other hand...that's a whole different kettle of premarital sex-havin' fish, according to the Vatican.

Oh wow, that's great, thanks. I think I can get someone who matters to see this.

• Locked thread