Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

King of Hamas posted:

I am 100% for vaccines that have proven medical value, and am concurrently against any that lack it, and as a result I am anti-flu vaccine. It is a product made and pushed by for-profit corporations and study after study has shown that they range from marginally effective to totally ineffective. Legitimately objective medical science should be respected, but for-profit products pushed by for-profit companies that are proven to be dubiously effective according to the objective (ie; non industry-funded) research should absolutey not. If you doubt me, go ahead and do your own research, but I would recommend steering clear of studies funded by the very companies that stand to make the most money from a positive outcome. For example, here is the Cochrane Collaboration, a non-profit medical research group based on unpaid volunteers from the medical community, on the issue:

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults#sthash.kYUXHVqH.dpuf

And there is more: not only are the vaccines much less effective than expected, but they have been shown in recent studies to INCREASE the susceptibility of the patient to H1N1, a far more serious strain of the flu, in the following year!

http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/March-2013/effectiveness-of-flu-vaccine-raises-more-red-flags.aspx

A for-profit product pushed by for-profit companies that want to make the vaccine mandatory not just for every health care worker in America but eventually every American. With a potential profit to be garnered from every American in the country I am not surprised that the product pushers would ignore whether it is effective or not, or whether it makes people a great deal more susceptible to swine flu, a far more serious disease than the common flu.

I will conclude my post with the words of the awesomely named Dr. Mark Hyman, who did a big takedown of the flu vaccine (warning huffpost link):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/flu-shots-panacea-or-prop_b_831696.html

I want to state again that I am not anti-polio vaccine, anti HPV vaccine, or any other vaccine that has proven medical value. Objective scientific data is our best way to determine what is good and bad for us w/r/t treatment, and we cannot rely on industry-funded research to objectively tell us what that is. Also yes I know that huffpost pushes herbal remedy bullshit and new age clap trap, but the studies cited in the article truly speak for themselves.

It's a bad move to make bedfellows with a guy on the flu vaccine who is out on the lunatic/snake oil fringe on every other medical issue he talks about and is on Huffington Post, a news organization with the journalistic credibility to rival Buzzfeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've had two mothers on Facebook who have un-friended me after a civil conversation about their anti-vaccination stance, and a third who I've gently browbeat into shutting up a couple of times.

Generally what happens is this:

1) They don't trust any data "funded by drug companies" (any study conducted or data gathered by a remotely credible organization)

2) They immediately trust data from amateur-hour naturopathy sites, which inevitably begin their argument not by advancing any evidence of their own methodology, but by attacking the sources their audience is already suspicious of. These attacks involve logic gymnastics, like using a government agency's data (even though government data is evil) to assert facts or theories that aren't at all supported by said data.

3) The author behind these arguments is sometimes so well-known as a snake oil salesman to experts and authorities that he has a sourced Wikipedia article documenting his legal troubles and total lack of credibility.

4) When all this is pointed out to mom, she retreats into a shell of "well I've seen the studies" and gives up on trying to produce anything because we are obviously unfairly biased against naturopathy, even though all we're asking for is baseline credible evidence that can't be debunked and destroyed with a two-minute Google search.

This kind of paranoia is hard to crack and could use the help of a more serious, sustained public relations campaign to counter-act it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhandhali posted:

That's a definite possibility . Hopefully the state medical board isn't so timid that it won't go after doctors like this because failure to provide appropriate counseling on vaccination is absolutely a breach of standard of care. I know the American Academy of Pediatrics is taking a very aggressive stance on the subject. There's a debate right now as to whether pediatricians should dismiss patients from their practices for refusing vaccinations. From what I understand they're working on a formal policy statement but there has definitely (and rightfully so) been an upswing in patients being dismissed from practices for being anti-vaccination morons.

I know that if I found out my kid's pediatrician was anti-vaccination I would immediately file a complaint with their hospital/practice group and the state medical board. They should not be allowed to continue practicing medicine.

I doubt there's a serious anti-vaccination contingent among actual doctors, but I've been surprised before.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Yikes. My mom slammed some horror stories about going to college without being vaccinated into my head, so that makes me go a lil :catstare:

College (especially in a dorm) is a festering cesspool of disease and you'll want to get your shots.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

forgot my pants posted:

The real bummer is polio was supposed to have been eradicated by 2010. I believe the UN and WHO both set this as their target goal some time back. Then as 2010 approached they delayed it a few more years, and now it looks like polio may not be eradicated in our lifetimes.

The Arab Spring filled all the old problems with that just-washed minty freshness, like they're brand new!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Chiropracty is a bullshit pseudoscience alternative medicine, basically the modern Western equivalent of acupuncture, so it shouldn't really be surprising that over one-third of all chiropractors are anti-vaxxers.

As far as I know acupuncture for what it's worth has a better reputation than chiropractors.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

torpedan posted:

Spreadsheets are a vital tool

As a person with some experience in the wondrous field of data entry, no

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blarghalt posted:

It's handy to remember at times like this that Alex Jones has always been a fundamentalist Baptist and everything he's ever said (despite his pleas that he's apolitical) has come from a far-right viewpoint.

I can't even find the un-touched clip of this anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpkzptvDpDY

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vermain posted:

To quote directly from John Cook and Stephan Lewdandowsky's Debunking Handbook:

(emphasis mine)

Intentionally deceiving people about inane information is one thing, I would say the more important problem is that women in particular have been conditioned not to trust the medical community via their experiences with said community. You don't really know what you're up against here until you have a serious medical condition and discover that a doctor has been misleading you or withholding information that you might find critical.

For example, I'm infertile (for X years or forever, who knows) and my first cancer doc decided it wasn't important to discuss that this would happen during chemo or sperm banks.

You can't really ask a nurse or a doctor if your doctor is good, they will always say yes or give a non-answer (what else is there to say?). So you start looking for secondary sources because your primary sources have lost all credibility with you. And if it so happens that your secondary source is a charlatan or a crank, we're off to the races.

I don't think it is any accident that the anti-vax movement seems dominated by women, who still have to fight to be treated equally in society. It's easy for the male-majority Internet community to ridicule these people from the sidelines and characterize them as morons, probably just after they get done doing their part for Gamergate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Where to start with Bill Maher?

-Driven insane by 9/11, became a neocolonialist Islamophobe who supports racial profiling at airports. In this he has many strange bedfellows, but most of those bedfellows are smarter than him/know what they're talking about.
-Libertarian, which if we're being serious is about all you need to know about how much deep thinking he does on any issue
-Supports PETA
-Pro-Vaccination of course
-Is in the Ann Coulter School of Paid to Say Offensive poo poo for Attention
-Is generally misidentified by Republicans as far-left because he disagrees and says impolite things about them
-Constantly spews idiotic rhetoric and embarrassingly strange metaphors that make you wonder if he is even more stupid than you thought

He's of no real value to anyone looking for thoughtful discourse on anything, he's just a noise machine who presents himself as a gadfly, which is nothing new really.

Maher's show has given us Paul Begala torching Meghan McCain and the starting point for the Christine O'Donnell witchcraft story. Other than that it's a way for politicians, politically-involved celebrities, and the pundit class to promote themselves and cheerlead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

eNeMeE posted:

Have your mom get the vaccine without telling your sister. It's not like it leaves a mark or anything.

And what will your sister do, kick her out?

I'm a wee bit of a misanthrope, though, so ymmv

It's probably not much of a danger but thhe likelihood of it being dangerous is dependent on a whole host of things and living with an anti-vaxxer puts her in an elevated risk category. It's an infinitely greater danger than formaldehyde and mercury, though.

That's not misanthropic, that's cleverly maneuvering around the problem.

• Locked thread