Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Reckoning posted:

You realize that this describes a whole lot of things that parents do in the normal course of parenting, yes?

that doesn't make doing those things not bad though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ravenfood posted:

Agreed, but until we decide that that's okay, you'll have situations like the above. We decided that giving blood to a JW kid was okay regardless of the parents' wishes, I can't understand why we don't with some basic vaccines.

There is literally supreme court precedent that it is ok to do that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

There's just not really any states that are willing to pony up the cash to engage in a paid-for mandatory vaccination program.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you in favor of making it illegal to buy your kid a skateboard, or allowing them to swim in the ocean, or walk home from school by themselves?

I wouldn't let a 3 year old ride a skateboard, or go swim in the ocean or walk home from school by themselves yes. Isn't that weird how just because something might be acceptable for one age group, it isn't for others?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Prurient Squid posted:

Another thing (sorry if I'm going over old ground), I'm about as anti-capitalist as you can get but if you make me choose between which is more evil, Monstato or the anti-vaccination movement I'd be hard pressed to give an answer. This isn't like attacking big pharma whilst being in favour of homeopathy it's much more malignant. Honestly, I'm really starting to see anti-science sentiments as something utterly foul and not just an annoyance.

You shouldn't be hard-pressed, as the anti-vaccination movement basically would kill millions if they got their way, if not billions, while Monsanto is thoroughly unremarkable as an agriculture supply company.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Prurient Squid posted:

Didn't Monsanto make Agent Orange, the defoliant that lead to birth defects in Vietnam? Anyway, that's not my point, you can swap Monsanto for any scummy pharmaceutical corporation. All I'm saying is if option A is supporting corporate malpractice and option B is supporting dangerous pseudoscience then I'm going for option C!

Multiple companies did, but you should hardly be surprised that a company based around farming supplies made something for killing plants you don't want. Or that they're horrible to ingest, you don't go around drinking weed-killer on purpose, do you?

There is no option C, and the anti-vaccination movement is hands down worse on all counts than any major corporation that exists today.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That Works posted:

I thought that was mostly Dow chemical. Could be wrong.

Agent Orange contracts went out to most of the major agrichemical and just plain chemical companies. Dow probably was the biggest manufacturer just because they've always had the most capacity for manufacturing about anything, but not because they really loved agent orange or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's worth remembering that the organic movement was started by a bunch of well off rich people in Britain during World War II, who decided they got to start being super loving picky about their food in the midst of a crisis when every amount of modern farming technique known was needed to keep the drat country fed. There have few people who are more out of touch in history.

• Locked thread