Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like the idea of someone being like "How blasphemous! How DARE they depict Noah as considering murdering a child!

When like one the earliest and notable Old Testament stories is God demanding a dude kill his child to see if he acts righteously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

I like the idea of someone being like "How blasphemous! How DARE they depict Noah as considering murdering a child!

When like one the earliest and notable Old Testament stories is God demanding a dude kill his child to see if he acts righteously.

Plus there was the whole, y'know, great flood that probably killed innumerable kids

~it's all god's plan~

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Which shot? I'm pretty sure everything with the mountain was just shot on location in Iceland, and according to Matthew Libatique they didn't use green/blue screens on this production. (Not saying there weren't several shots, mostly of creatures, that felt clearly fake. Which is surprising given how jaw-dropping things like the creation sequence are.

It was the scene where they were all standing looking at the mountain, which was off screen. It looked really wonky and fake.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hmm, I can't recall it. I can't understand why a shot like that would involve any compositing what-so-ever though? (Aside from the subtle stars and nebulas they added to the daylight skies, which I loved).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Has anyone seen the David Twohy film Below which Aronofsky co-wrote and co-produced? Does it bear any noticeable marks of Aronofsky-ness/is it worth watch at all? I think he's a better director than writer, and I don't particularly like Twohy (The Chronicles of Riddick is an absolute mess) but I'm still somewhat curious about it.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't want to dig through the heaping pile of poo poo that was the conservative forum I was reading earlier today to find it, but I literally saw someone, apparently seriously, complain that the movie was inaccurate to the Biblical account because Noah did not try to rescue as many people as possible with the ark, as a loving Christian would.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Has anyone seen the David Twohy film Below which Aronofsky co-wrote and co-produced? Does it bear any noticeable marks of Aronofsky-ness/is it worth watch at all? I think he's a better director than writer, and I don't particularly like Twohy (The Chronicles of Riddick is an absolute mess) but I'm still somewhat curious about it.

It's ok. Better than the trailers would suggest, but felt like a bog-standard film that got pushed through the "improve" filter. I didn't think it was a waste of time but you could die without seeing it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I don't want to dig through the heaping pile of poo poo that was the conservative forum I was reading earlier today to find it, but I literally saw someone, apparently seriously, complain that the movie was inaccurate to the Biblical account because Noah did not try to rescue as many people as possible with the ark, as a loving Christian would.

It's always this, but with the Bible instead

Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I got back from Noah the other night, and had a work shift that basically allowed me to mull over the movie. I had originally come out of the movie with some admiration, but I've sort of come to love it purely on the basis that Aronofsky basically made an environmentalist movie out of the Bible where the central message ends up being "If you aren't an environmentalist, God hates you".

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 1, 2014

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp

PriorMarcus posted:

It's late here (UK) so I'll do a quick summary and answer any questions tomorrow but basically;

Noah and the fallen angels defend the Ark and believe they have been successful but Ham has secretly allowed his girlfriend, Ray Winstone and a handful of others onto it. They capture Noah and his family and Ray Winstone is about to execute them with his pistol when Ham begs him to stop, instead they end up using some of the herb/magic that put the animals to sleep on them and lock them away, to awaken when the storm has passed. Noah, while in this state has a vision from God that explains he used to be a soldier, and we see a trippy montage of wars in which Noah has fought, culminating in him as a modern American soldier. He wakes up in his pen, along with his family and the rest of the animals and breaks free. Then he proceeds to slaughter everyone who snuck aboard. He does this with a combination of his bare hands and the predators on the ark. Ila and the family meanwhile go into hiding and Ham and a few others try to find them; they are hiding in the storage room/deck where the stow away survivors have brought massive amounts of oil. Ila kills Ham by drowning him in one of the barrels. Noah meanwhile gets into a final fight with Ray Winstone, ending up on the same storage deck. Noah and Ray Winstone struggle, the latter ending up covered in oil and Noah grabs his gun, shoots him, and sets him alight with it. As Ray Winstone burns he becomes a vessel for God, like a gory burning bush, and God tells Noah that the storm will pass and Noah has earned the right to continue on humanity. Then all of the animals fall asleep, Noah and his family throw the dead overboard and watch the rainbow appear over the water. The film ends with Noah in vaguely futuristic looking post-apocalyptic clothing walking the wasteland with his family where they come upon a single seed growing in the ground.

Is this a joke?

This has to be a joke right?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This is another thing from the Midrash, where Noah's lack of action is contrasted with Abraham's repeated pleas for Sodom and Gomorrah.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

When I was a kid we were always told that as just a standard part of the story. Like, Noah went around and warned everyone multiple times but they just laughed at him. I remember actually reading it once, like "wait a minute...".

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
One thing that sort of gets me about this film, and maybe it's just proof that I'm old or something, but does Emma Watson just look way too drat young? I mean like it was uncomfortable for me to see her potentially getting into sex scenes. I know she's in her twenties by now and everyone who grew up with Harry Potter spends at least an hour a week jerking off to her, but it just came off as creepy even seeing her pregnant.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You know what's creepy: bringing up your jerk-off habits in a thread about Darren Aronofsky's Noah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe I'm just old enough to have never given a poo poo about Harry Potter so I have no clue what anyone sees in Emma Watson as an actress.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe I'm just old enough to have never given a poo poo about Harry Potter so I have no clue what anyone sees in Emma Watson as an actress.

Judging solely from this film, she's awful. She does a lot of "eyebrow acting" which always reminds me of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxSGRNLA6o

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
In the Harry Potter movies the directors all specifically made her tone down her eyebrow acting; apparently Aronofsky didn't get the memo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Eyebrow tremulo.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When the first movie came out - 13 years ago? - some people thought she was the best of the main trio and her reputation grew from there. She was never that great, but she's pretty so people give her more credit than she deserves. She was much better in some scenes in this movie (and Bling Ring) than I was used to, a fact that I only noticed because there were other scenes when she resorted to doing the same tired furrowed brow of disbelief.

Regardless of how old you are Harry Potter has a great story, especially the books.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
All three Potter "kids" are generally cool people. :shobon:

So far.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Favorite part is the flashback scene with Methuseleh managing to solo like one billion soldiers who were murderkilling all the stone angels with that badass sword that burns everything around it :black101: . Huh, might have been useful when they were bumrushing the Ark...

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Most of the symbolism isn't from the Bible, it is from the Zohar/Kabbalah (Adam and Eve as shiny beings / the snake skin as enlightenment / angels being trapped in earthen bodies)

It's isn't Bible Noah, it's Gnostic Gnoah. It's crazy how much they packed in there, and the director fooled everyone, basically. (assuming the studio would have said no to that version)

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Panfilo posted:

Favorite part is the flashback scene with Methuseleh managing to solo like one billion soldiers who were murderkilling all the stone angels with that badass sword that burns everything around it :black101: . Huh, might have been useful when they were bumrushing the Ark...

I was actually sort of wondering what the hell was going on with that sword. Seems like there'd be a hell of a back story to some guy just happening to have a sword that can scorch the Earth for miles around him. Especially for it to just be forgotten about completely from there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liar posted:

I was actually sort of wondering what the hell was going on with that sword. Seems like there'd be a hell of a back story to some guy just happening to have a sword that can scorch the Earth for miles around him. Especially for it to just be forgotten about completely from there.

Probably the sword of the Cherub:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_sword_(mythology)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

the snake skin as enlightenment

Aha! I didn't know that was a thing in the Kaballah. So this might sound silly, but bereft of explanation in the film, the explanation I thought was that the skin represented the knowledge of original sin, which helped guide the person away from sin.

And since Noah's dad didn't get the finish the glowy finger touching thing, Noah was still a pure dude but pretty obviously totally willing to kill and do that extremist stuff

Plus Winstone carries it around and is basically the personification of sin

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ZenMaster posted:

Most of the symbolism isn't from the Bible, it is from the Zohar/Kabbalah (Adam and Eve as shiny beings / the snake skin as enlightenment / angels being trapped in earthen bodies)

It's isn't Bible Noah, it's Gnostic Gnoah. It's crazy how much they packed in there, and the director fooled everyone, basically. (assuming the studio would have said no to that version)

I was a bit curious about this, so here's the article that details that whole mess. All I have to say is: wow.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

And here's just one of several rebuttals to Brian Mattson's whole off-the-mark Gnostic (G)Noah thing: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2014/04/no-noah-is-not-gnostic-say-that-ten-times-fast.html

Mattson posted:

The scandal is this: of all the Christian leaders who went to great lengths to endorse this movie (for whatever reasons: “it’s a conversation starter,” “at least Hollywood is doing something on the Bible,” etc.), and all of the Christian leaders who panned it for “not following the Bible”…

Not one of them could identify a blatantly Gnostic subversion of the biblical story when it was right in front of their faces.

(...)

Some readers may think I'm being hard on people for not noticing the Gnosticism at the heart of this film. I am not expecting rank-and-file viewers to notice these things. I would expect exactly what we've seen: head-scratching confusion. I've got a whole different standard for Christian leaders: college and seminary professors, pastors, and Ph.Ds. If a serpent skin wrapped around the arm of a godly Bible character doesn't set off any alarms... I don't know what to say.
Or it could be that you've got the movie, the symbolism, and even the Bible, wrong, and not that everyone else has.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I want to watch the creation sequence over and over again until the end of time.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I enjoyed it more than your average horror movie, and had no idea that Arnofsky co-wrote it. The movie feels a bit cheap and anachronistic, but it is well-written and has some good, unique scares (especially a certain mirror scene). Thinking back, actually, I can see how he co-opted some of the same stuff for the more cerebral Black Swan.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/22/noah-film-evangelicals_n_5009259.html

quote:

...Leaders from organizations like American Bible Society, National Catholic Register, The King's College, Q Ideas, Hollywood Prayer Network, and Focus on the Family offer their opinions in the video -- and, for the most part, they are glowing....

One of these is not like the others.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the remarkable thing about the movie is that everyone from Catholic priests to atheists can watch it and come away with affirmation of their beliefs.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Simplex posted:

I think the remarkable thing about the movie is that everyone from Catholic priests to atheists can watch it and come away with affirmation of their beliefs.

This is a big part of what I enjoyed so much about the film. My wife is a staunch atheist, while I'm a believer (though not exactly Judeo/Christian to a T) and we both loved the movie.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Scissorfighter posted:

Theatrical spoilers: It sounds like the only thing I'd miss is Noah leaving Ham's innocent girlfriend to be trampled by the mob. It was the first moment that we're shown God's morality and man's cannot coincide.

No, it's not.

That moment came much earlier for me, as soon as we meet people arbitrarily doomed to die because they're descendants of Cain. Even the Old Testament is against that kind of thing - Ezekiel 18:20:

The son shall not bear the guilt of the father,
nor the father bear the guilt of the son.
The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself,
and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

Apples McGrind posted:

I got back from Noah the other night, and had a work shift that basically allowed me to mull over the movie. I had originally come out of the movie with some admiration, but I've sort of come to love it purely on the basis that Aronofsky basically made an environmentalist movie out of the Bible where the central message ends up being "If you aren't an environmentalist, God hates you".

I'm an atheist and environmentalist, and how did the movie have an environmental message? I came out of it thinking Noah should have saved more people and killed and ate some deer if he was worried about running out of food. They had plenty of redundant ungulates.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm an atheist and environmentalist, and how did the movie have an environmental message? I came out of it thinking Noah should have saved more people and killed and ate some deer if he was worried about running out of food. They had plenty of redundant ungulates.

Eating meat is bad is the first obvious one. It would actually be a huge positive for the environment to get the majority of people to stop consuming meat. The other is that the decedents of Cain are wicked specifically because they strip the Earth of resources without giving a thought to sustainability.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The movie celebrates the beauty of animals and nature and intentionally presents meat eating as disgusting and almost like cannibalism. The Ray Winstone character is a villain who believes Man should use and destroy the Earth as he wishes as a sign of humanity's prowess.

The beginning of the movie also possibly suggests that this isn't set in the past at all, but in a post-apocalyptic future after an environmental crisis devastates the planet.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, fair points. I wish there had been more exploration of Tubal-Cain trying to convince Ham to eat meat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The movie celebrates the beauty of animals and nature and intentionally presents meat eating as disgusting and almost like cannibalism. The Ray Winstone character is a villain who believes Man should use and destroy the Earth as he wishes as a sign of humanity's prowess.

The beginning of the movie also possibly suggests that this isn't set in the past at all, but in a post-apocalyptic future after an environmental crisis devastates the planet.

There was also the oil stand in of the "Zohar" mineral. Its implied that the Cain civilization used it to power their cities but it was all running out.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
So were the townspeople eating women or trading them for meat? Or both?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Having not seen the movie but having quickly read the tie-in comic, the ruins (which totally look like a Heavy Metal lost-future-civilization thing) are a result of the crashed angels giving humans science and magic, and humans blowing it (iirc by turning on the angels when they wouldn't pony over more secrets or something). So it sorta is post-apocalyptic but not the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's kind of a thing like that in the movie, at one point early on they show the angels working with the Cain civilization but then they're enemies and its not really explained all too well when/how they had a falling out.

• Locked thread