Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

madeupfred posted:

The movie was pretty boring honestly, but if what people have been saying is true, the director's cut will be incredible.

Aronofky said that he got the final cut on the movie. It's possible that he's stepping around saying that there was studio interference somehow, but it's more likely that he made the movie he wanted to make and it wasn't what we were hoping for, exactly. Either way, I wouldn't expect a radically different cut on DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, they're angels. The movie specifically says they are angels who came to Earth against the "Creator's" wishes and so he locked them into stone bodies as punishment.

And Biblically, the Watchers were angels who came to Earth and had offspring, Nephilim, or giants, with human women.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thepokey posted:

I feel the same as others in that overall I was kind of bored by it. It was visually stunning; I can't deny that. But it just seemed to plod along. There were things I liked and things I didn't like, but neither to the extreme that they outweighed the other; so it just felt sort of meh.

So I haven't picked up a bible since early high school years and I have very little recollection of it's contents besides the well known stuff; but were the watchers a real thing according to bible tales? Not in this form of course, but were there supposedly angels that came to Earth to help man and were somehow punished for it? Or is that completely from Aranofsky's own mind?

Also; wow that was the quickest child birth ever! "My water broke! *2 minutes pass* twins!" I mean I know they were pushed for time and all, but of all the crazy biblical poo poo that was going on that was the one part that had me sitting there going "oh...ok, guess we just gotta accept that and move on".

I did find the part where both of Noah's sons and Ray Winstone were all trying to kill him at once. It made a few people around my giggle too. That was one part I felt just had a different feel than a lot of other scenes and felt almost unintentionally comical.

The Watchers are fairly biblically (well, apocryphally) accurate. They were angels sent to Earth to watch over man, but they "fell" by having children with men, who were Nephilim, or giants. Some of these Watchers then did give various technologies to mankind. And according to the Book of Enoch, the purpose of the flood was to purge the Earth of the Nephilim, because they were abominations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ZenMaster posted:

Most of the symbolism isn't from the Bible, it is from the Zohar/Kabbalah (Adam and Eve as shiny beings / the snake skin as enlightenment / angels being trapped in earthen bodies)

It's isn't Bible Noah, it's Gnostic Gnoah. It's crazy how much they packed in there, and the director fooled everyone, basically. (assuming the studio would have said no to that version)

I was a bit curious about this, so here's the article that details that whole mess. All I have to say is: wow.

• Locked thread