Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt
May 26, 2003

I gotta think that "Above" by Mad Season is the best "grunge" album out there. It's been mentioned, but it's my personal favorite, and it has everything:

Layne Staley singing with his unique and amazing tortured sound and super depressing lyrics.

Mark Lanegan doing what he does best. Before he got all weird I think.

Mike McCready from Pearl Jam melting faces with noodley guitar solos.

Barrett Martin from the Screaming Trees on drums.

And some dude named "Baker" (John Baker Saunders) on bass.

It's got a catchy radio single(River of Deceit), some heavy songs(X-Ray mind, Lifeless Dead, I don't know anything), a grimey blues song(Artificial Red, featuring some of Layne's best work IMO), and a sad but kind of hopeful ballad kind of song(Wake up). It even has a bitchin' 7 minute instrumental jam on it(November Hotel) featuring some badass noodley guitar solos and cool drums and bass. It hits every early 90s Seattle check point.

Just about all the songs are depressing, and about drugs. Half the band died from drug overdose(Layne and John Baker Saunders). It's bleak as gently caress, really. It really sums up the whole Seattle drug fueled depressing but rocking vibe.

Also the album art is rad, and was drawn by Layne Staley:

Also Lifeless Dead is an awesome song, and I will always love it because it's the first song I ever learned to play on a guitar :D

It sucks they never toured. I think they played a few shows in Seattle (one of which a live DVD was made, it's awesome). It sucks Layne turned into a heroin hermit without ever making a 2nd Mad Season record(or a 4th AiC album). But for it what it is, one album put out by a Seattle super group, it's pretty loving cool.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gary the Llama posted:

You mean like Pearl Jam's best song, State of Love and Trust? Man, I loved that soundtrack. That's how I first heard Mother Love Bone.

Alice in Chains was the bar band in the scene where they were in a bar.

I feel like that was a bad movie though, but I don't really remember it honestly. Alice in Chains cameo is literally the only thing I remember from it.

• Locked thread