Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Soundgarden’s Superunknown is getting a re-release this year. I love pretty much everything associated with grunge (even Silverchair), but Superunknown is the peak of this vague and patchwork genre to me. It’s an absolutely colossal album, it is just absolutely huge to the point of being apocalyptic.

It bridged a gap perfectly for me between this loosely-held together grunge genre and stuff like Kyuss, as well as harkening back to my first musical love in Black Sabbath.

I love Superunknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Grunge also rode the steady wave of success from 80s alternative groups such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, the Pixies, etc.

I'm cautiously looking forward to the Superunknown reissue. The first two Nirvana reissues were underwhelming and (in the case of Nevermind) awful but In Utero was unarguably awesome. The 2013 remix is my go-to version of the album.

i just wish they were doing it for Badmotorfinger too, no one ever talks about how excellent that album is.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

hatelull posted:

Which is criminal because "Slaves & Bulldozers" is such an amazing blistering song, and easily my favorite Soundgarden track.

There was so much Sabbath in that sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO18jd0bqvM

The whole album has this amazingly catastrophic sound. It’s like Badmotorfinger is the score to the end of the world and Superunknown is the aftermath.

I listened to Pearl Jam’s Ten the other day for the first time in ages and remembered how good it is. Despite some dodgy lyrics it’s really consistent and has a great texture to it. I think my favourite will always be Vitalogy, which is probably their closest to having a sound people typically associate with the word ‘grunge’.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

shmee posted:

Eddie doesn't do this sort of thing much any more does he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQWE5bWmUk

Now he just chugs a bottle of wine and busts out Tom Waits covers.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Bulging Nipples posted:

One of the things I feel that gets overlooked a little when discussing some of the bigger grunge bands is the sheer ridiculous quality of the vocalists; Chris Cornell, Lane Staley, and Mark Lanegan in particular are just insanely good singers and Kurt Cobain was just raw and amazing as well. Some of these absolutely gorgeous voices singing these tortured songs was just something very genre bending and really, really special.

Layne Staley had the most incredible voice, even though Alice in Chains aren’t my absolute favourite of the grunge bands he’s my favourite vocalist. He just sounds so unbelievably tortured and agonised. He could swing from soft and mournful to sounding like a diseased air raid siren. His harmonising with Jerry Cantrell was often gorgeous.

Alice in Chains were an essential part of that scene. It was mentioned earlier that Guns N Roses were huge at the time - Guns N Roses were the party, with all the booze, unprotected sex and drugs it involved, whereas Alice in Chains sounded like the disease-ridden, hungover, jonesing aftermath.

I’d be interested to know what people think of Stone Temple Pilots. They’re often labelled as pretenders of the genre, and Core certainly ripped off a whole shitload of different bands at the time (and as such it’s my least favourite of their albums aside from a few standout tracks), but I felt like they got better and better as they went on and started doing their own thing. Not that they ever stopped openly wearing their influences on their sleeve.

Also Scott Weiland is the most hilarious mess of a human being.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Purple is a great album but my favourite is Tiny Music...Tales from the Vatican Gift Shop. That was when they really started to move away from the grunge association,

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

david_a posted:

Is early Smashing Pumpkins considered grunge? I'm not sure what the accepted limits of the genre are.

I was about to ask the same thing. I’d certainly say the first three albums fall into the really broad category that grunge seems to be, at least stylistically.

Siamese Dream is also loving great.

As for Stone Temple Pilots they’ve become more and more straight-up pop rock in recent years and I have no problem with it. I really liked the EP with Chester Bennington and I bloody hate Linkin Park.

david_a posted:

I got into a nostalgia trip for music from this era that I didn't necessarily like at the time and picked up some Screaming Trees a while back. I really like Sweet Oblivion, but what happened on Dust? All the religious stuff seemingly came out of nowhere.

I think Lanegan found God somewhere. The last Mark Lanegan Band album is loaded with it too.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fenrir posted:

Whether or not you like Linkin Park, Bennington can definitely sing, and his voice does suit the band a LOT better than I thought it would. I was pretty much sold the first time I heard him sing Dead & Bloated.

I won’t pretend my prejudice wasn’t entirely based on my dislike of Linkin Park, but I was converted as soon as I heard Out of Time and immediately went looking for them doing the old stuff on YouTube.

Fenrir posted:

e: Holy poo poo how did I not notice before... There was Soundgarden chat and THIS wasn't posted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQCtFotgSU
It's pretty unfortunate and even a little weird that the best song the band ever did was never actually on any of their albums.

Even now sometimes I hear Chris Cornell’s voice and think ‘holy poo poo.’

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Dirt posted:

Also the album art is rad, and was drawn by Layne Staley:

I love this album. The first time I heard it I was 18 and a really rough personal place and it’s stuck with me forever. I don’t listen to it often because it’s actually kind of hard to, but the fact that it has that kind of influence on me even all these years later really says something about it.

Mark Lanegan’s album with Duke Garwood that came out sometime last year is great too.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Since Out of Time has been discussed and STP aren’t really part of the scene, what are people’s thoughts on the latest efforts from the remaining three of the biggest four bands of the genre?

Pearl Jam seem to have really rejuvenated their love of music in the last few years. They really sounded like they were winding down with Binaural and Riot Act, then the self-titled album suddenly had all this energy that they appear to be maintaining. They’ve really embraced their status as a big stadium act and I liked Lightning Bolt a lot, probably more than Backspacer, despite the lame album title.

Soundgarden surprised me with the quality of King Animal. Despite what I’d say are dud tracks (Attrition, Worse Dreams, Eyelid’s Mouth) it’s tighter and ballsier than Down on the Upside was, but doesn’t have the vast expanse that Badmotorfinger and Superunknown had. They make decent use of Chris Cornell’s rougher, older voice - I really like the awful crack he does on the chorus of By Crooked Steps (which should have been the title of the album).

Alice in Chains last couple of albums I...don’t really know. I thought Black Gives Way to Blue was patchy with a few really good songs (especially the title song). Devil Put Dinosaurs here is more consistent but way too long and I really wish Cantrell would let Duvall actually be the singer for more than like two songs.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Why the hell doesn’t Jerry Cantrell just make mournful acoustic music? That’s what he’s best at, especially now. I want another Jar of Flies.

Curl_like_smoke posted:

King Animal was pretty good but for me it was missing that big, aggressive, stomp your feet track like 4th of July or Slaves and Bulldozers. I

It was Soundgarden but with the pop sensibilities that Cornell retained from Audioslave and doing a Bond theme. It wasn’t bad but it was lacking that genuinely dark, depressive edge.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 12, 2014

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fenrir posted:

e: Also, I see that the Mad Season album is getting a whole lot of love in here. I never actually listened to it, I just remember that lovely song they used to play on MTV all the time (E: Apparently it was called River of Deceit) and thought I'd never like the album. Does it get better than that?

It’s arguably the peak of the genre along with Superunknown. Give it a chance.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

River of Deceit is the softest song on there. The rest of it is Layne Staley’s ghost haunting your broken head.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fenrir posted:

I can't even get through the first song, this is horrible. I guess I'd have to either be 10 years younger or just ... gently caress, I don't know. This sounds really bad. Why is this album considered so amazing?

e: Something with this just doesn't click at all. 4 songs in (well, I skipped the one I know) and ... yeah, it's still not making sense, and I liked all the component bands that made this. I don't have an explanation, it just doesn't work at all for me.

If it doesn’t then it doesn’t. When I call it the peak of the genre that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s for everyone, just that it captures the feel and the atmosphere that people considered ‘grunge’ or ‘90s alternative’ or whatever. In a way that could tip it into parody if you’re not in the right mindset/of the right age that it speaks to you.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

MentholsNBeer posted:

Speaking of that dark, depressive edge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYx4fvQ784

Applebite was a great song. I think it's about how much Chris Cornell loved Andy Wood (MotherLoveBone's full length was titled Apple) and how heroin destroyed all of Chris' friends, and at the time of Down on the Upside was destroying him too (Andy being the first one of those guys that fell, I guess...

Soundgarden should do one more really fast punk album, like the Screaming Life days..

Man I watched that full performance on youtube of Chester with STP and he killed it. Scott was a better fit for G n R and Chester is a better fit for STP.

I could never get into Nirvana...any time I try to listen to their albums I just get bored and throw on Tim or Let It Be by The Replacements.

Along with Tighter and Tighter and Overfloater Applebite is my favourite song from Down on the Upside. It’s the weakest of their three 90s albums but it still has a lot going for it, and it’s got a really deep, bleak, atmospheric sound the further in it gets. It was actually a good ending for their career in an “always go out on your back” kind of way, but I’m still glad they’re still recording.

I’ve never gotten into Nirvana either. I discovered the scene when I was 17 after years of being a metalhead before stumbling on Pearl Jam. I went from them, to Alice in Chains to Soundgarden, then STP and Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More and spanning out into all kinds of 90s alt rock like stoner stuff and whatever else, but Nirvana just never struck a chord with me. I have no idea why not to this day.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Just a heads-up: the new remaster of Superunknown sounds like listening to the original CD on a 1996 portable CD player with the bass boost on through £7.99 headphones.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Why couldn’t they do what they did with Ten a few years ago? That was a great set.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

If there was any album I own that I thought didn’t need a remaster it was Superunknown but I was really curious. Nope, ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I only have the single CD version. I was also hoping it’d come in a nice digi-pack or something but no. Looks like I’m sticking to my original CD.

As an aside though, it’s reminded me how much I love Superunknown, it’s a phenomenal album.

• Locked thread