Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can't have a thread on Go without starting it off with On Go.

I've dabbled in it a bit. I've found it to be mostly disappointing. They still seem to believe that dynamic linking is the devil, so it's hard to write a solid Go library.

Interfacing with legacy C with bindings and such is also quite a bit more painful than need be.

Is it? I've dabbled with cgo (http://golang.org/cmd/cgo/) a few times and it wasn't too bad. Go has been making some steady progress as of late and if you haven't checked it out since 2009 it might be a fun weekend project to code some personal stuff in it over a weekend or two. Coming from a python webdev background I'm really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Jo posted:

I'm considering picking up Go as an extra tool. Most of the work I do involves image manipulation, numerics, and machine learning. I saw some discussion on the Go user group saying academics were migrating away from Go, but I'm slightly scrupulous. Is there any reason not to get involved if that's the kind of work I'm doing? What are the de-facto linear algebra and image packs?

Two of the main issues with doing heavy science and math stuff in go is the lack of generics and operator overloading which makes it kind of a pita to do stuff like matrix math and the like. Regarding packages for image manipulation the one in the core library is pretty decent, but I'm not sure what exactly you need to do. Right now golang is great for server side apps that you'd normally code in python and java (for the most part), science libs and the like are kinda lacking libraries at the moment (someone feel free to prove me wrong though, I haven't specifically looked for said libraries that's just the gist I've gotten from reading mailing lists and hanging around go people on IRC)