Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Huh. That's a really bad blog post.

e: I should probably be less obtuse. I don't like it because it reads like it's written by someone who cannot get beyond syntax and is sore about go not being java, without addressing the flaws of java that go actually sidesteps. The final sentence is pretty telling: "Someone might port Java to that runtime and reap all of the benefits", which I really really doubt.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

It's a really good one b/c it adequately captures the feeling of writing go (and searching for go, &c)

You think? Please go ahead and rip its head off then (in a constructive manner if you'd be so kind!) I've been looking for coherent, nuanced and competent criticism of go, and so far I've seen very little of that. People generally seem very happy with it, and whatever malcontents I've come across generally offer the kind of lame (misguided / misinformed / malicious?) whining like in that blog post. Like this one seriously argues verbosity being a bigger problem in go than in java, and rags on a few examples where a oneliner becomes five individually shorter lines, without discussing any of the rationale behind the design choices that put us in this situation. (Yes, ternary expressions are useful ~if used right~, and of course ~I~ use them right, even though ~everyone else~ that use them wrong ~use them wrong~, but they are ~no true Scotsmen~). When an author does things like that I have a big problem taking anything else they write seriously.

I might have gotten this from here, but I think Will Yager did a pretty good job of this in his blog post on Why Go Is Not Good.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bozart posted:

can we stop with the dumb language wars and get back to dumb programs Sheesh

Nah that's all good, as long as it can be kept to the concrete. For example, I'd really like to hear why you think the type system is bad and how it hinders you in your day-to-day work, and what you propose should have been done instead, and why you'd expect that to improve things, and what other language you consider has done this right.

e: and that's "you" in the general sense, not specifically directed at "you" in the specific sense.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What do you catch with asserts that interfaces don't?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is something I'd bikeshed the gently caress out of and I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://tour.golang.org/flowcontrol/1

The entire go tour is pretty rad. Highly recommended.

e: vvvvv oh, sorry, right. I misread your post and got the wrong idea. I haven't used templates.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 18, 2016