Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Does this thread have any recommendations for Go books?

I'm looking for a book that ideally :
  • covers all of the basics & intermediate stuff about the language & syntax
  • covers all of the basics & intermediate stuff about how to structure, write & maintain a not-small Go application
  • contains a thorough reference to most/all of the standard library
  • is up-to-date (v1.15)

I'm coming from a Java & Ruby background and am trying to learn Go, and some parts are just confusing the hell out of me (modules & local packages, whatever "vendor" and "vgo" are, some bits of syntax, etc.). Is there a good book that covers all of this, or is Go too new/changing too quickly for this?

If it helps, the "Programming Ruby - The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide" is a good example of the sort of book I'm after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Iverron posted:

The Go Programming Language - Alan Donovan (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0134190440)

It says this was published in 2015. Is this still "current"? I've been getting the impression that Go is changing & developing as a language quite quickly, and I don't want to accidentally learn out-of-date syntax & conventions as that can lead to me internalising bad practices as "the way you do things in Go". Which would be bad!

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Alright then. Thank you both for your help!