Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Hello Go-thread. I'm planning my first Go-project with a couple of people and am having a hard time figuring out whether my design choices are sane or not, please help if you have the time.

The plan is to make a backend consisting of several microservices and run it off Google Cloud Run. A Kubernetes Engine would probably be a better choice, but it doesn't have a free tier and we don't want to spend money, so we decided that Cloud Run should be fine for a proof-of-concept / minimum viable product. My background is primarily in C#, so I'm used to singletons and the like. So my plan was to have my main.go file instantiate a single copy of my other classes (logger, db, etc.) and then pass pointers around. For example, my db class does some logging, so after creating an instance of the logger in main, I would then create an instance of the db class and pass a pointer of the logger to the db class, instead of creating a new instance specifically for the db class. To me, this also feels like it would mesh well with Cloud Run, because there's generally no need to create multiple instances of service classes.

Does this seem sensible? It's technically not a strict singleton, since there's nothing limiting me from creating 10,000 loggers in main. Because of this, I think trying to keep a singleton pattern going on might be a bad idea, and if someone else keeps working on the project it'll eventually lead to a situation where you have a mixed bag of a single instance being passed around as a pointer and some classes creating their own instances. Is there a way of forcing a strict singleton pattern with go? Am I overthinking this too much and should I just go gently caress it and implement what feels good to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

rt4 posted:

What advantage does singleton provide over passing in the logger and DB connections (or storage providers) as args? In my opinion, it's always better for a web server to instantiate things at startup time instead of attempting to do it in a handler. This way you can write tests and benchmarks with full confidence that all of the needed pieces go in as args instead of having to remember to set up other state beforehand.
Yeah, I'm probably misusing the term singleton here, since I don't actually have a way of enforcing that only one instance of the class is created. Rather, the intention of the program is that only a single instance is created upon startup and passed around. I guess this is fine, and my worry that this will lead to mixed use where one class creates a new instance and another uses an instance passed to it is overthinking things.