Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

NickPlowswell posted:

I don't really see how using go get doesn't satisfy people. If I recall correctly one of Go's goals is to make everything backwards compatible and it is adapted by pretty much all major packages.

I'm actually really glad that there aren't such ridiculous things like the depreciation mechanics Java has that are so blatantly ignored by most of it's users.

Having to import "github.com/randomfuckehead/shittylibrary/awfulsublibrary" is both ugly and extremely fragile, even with go get. If randomfuckhead takes down shittylibrary or even leaves github altogether, you have to figure out what to do for future deployments. It's saved there locally with you having used go get during development, but it won't work anymore on new machines after his project/whole github is down.

e: and yes I know you can locally clone it and store it yourself but that seems to be frowned upon since for whatever reason you include fragile source URIs directly in your source code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Bozart posted:

Also, they aren't urls in the imports, they are file paths relative to $GOROOT. They are only interpreted as urls by the go tool.

Yes, which devs then rely on the tool to use to fetch the code from the url and then compile it to use as a library that is placed in an identicaly named sub-directory in $GOPATH. I mean, to the compiler it's treated as just another plain import path, but that's not why it's bad. It's bad because it's treated as an actual content source by the built in dependency manager, and it's way too fragile and dumb of an idea.