Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Suspicious Dish posted:

They still seem to believe that dynamic linking is the devil, so it's hard to write a solid Go library.

I don't follow, how does not having dynamic linking make it hard to write a good library?

And besides, dynamic linking is coming eventually, it's just not that important to the go team because of what they use it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Copland posted:

What kind of projects do you use it for? I love the philosophy of Go, but what has always kept me from putting the effort into learning it was thinking that I wouldn't get much mileage out of it in my day-to-day life.

I use Go a bit at my job as well. I tend to reach for it for things where I previously used ruby - to write little development tools and scripts. The fact that it produces statically-linked executables makes it much easier for me to hand them out to other folks who might not have the same stuff installed. I've been doing a lot of development on a device that runs a very stripped down linux on ARM and it's really nice to be able to easily make tools or scripts to try poo poo out in a rational language (not sh) and then trivially cross-compile them.

EDIT: Also, for those not in the know - Gophercon was last week. Apparently videos of the talks should be up in 2-3 weeks.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 29, 2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Copland posted:

Between this and the simple standard library mentioned by Azazel, I think I will give it a try. It really does sound right up my alley.

I just hope that I don't run into too many frustrations with it on the Mac.

I do pretty much all of my personal programming on a Mac and haven't run into any bugs or problems with Go there.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The talks from Gophercon are starting to come online here: http://confreaks.com/events/gophercon2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Jo posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too bothered by a lack of operator overloading. A lack of generics, however, is a little bit cumbersome. Maybe I'll wait for it to be a little farther along.

You'll be waiting for a really long time. Generics aren't coming for years, if ever.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Well tools like godeps and goven just automate something like what you're talking about anyway. One of them imports the dependencies into a sub-package of your project and then rewrites all the import paths - this way you don't need the separate script to manage GOPATH and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Docker is a containerization tool for linux, how on earth would it help with this problem? The only thing that really alleviates it is tools like goven that help you seamlessly manage local copies of code from remote sources.

I understand what they were going for but I think the urls in imports things is definitely one of the weaker parts of go.