Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
How is Go for game dev? I've found a couple of bindings, but nobody seems to support SDL2 yet. I seemed to have the impression that even though it's now 1.0, there's not a whole lot of use, but it may be more server-oriented which I'm not really looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

COOL CORN posted:

Does anyone use Go for game development? I'm curious what the most popular use cases of Go are at the moment - I guess mostly web-based?

https://github.com/veandco/go-sdl2 These bindings work very well, but the biggest thing for me was just the lack of debugging tools. printf debugging doesn't cut it for game dev, and there wasn't anything promising that worked and didn't murder performance either. This was 6 months ago, I think I've seen a project or two that I didn't find originally that might be good once it matures, but I eventually went with a Lua based platform for my tinkering (love2d.org)

I did have some basic level loading, tile scrolling working in a plain ol redistributable .exe, so it's possible, and may someday even be a good way to go, but just keep in mind you're essentially writing everything yourself since there's not much of a community for game dev in Go.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I think Delve wasn't available for Windows at the time. That's good that it seems to be now, but no I hadn't used it at the time.