Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

etatoby posted:

If by "package management" you mean the fact that you have to pull all the sources for the libraries you use inside your project's source tree, or use your version control "linked repo" feature, and then it compiles everything down to a static binary that you can deploy anywhere, then I believe Go has the best package management I've ever seen.

Are you using any of the 3rd party dependency management tools? Or checking in your entire GOPATH?

It's a little frustrating that One True Way hasn't emerged yet, and I'm just not doing enough go development to be able to judge the competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

sarehu posted:

I have a question for you Go people. Suppose you write a web application in Go. What do you do to get it running in actual production?

Right now I ran it with nohup and proxied it with nginx so that it'd run on port 80 after reading a tutorial. I hope it doesn't go down!

But like, seriously, what do you do? This is not really a Go-specific question, sorry that it's in the wrong place.

Running the Go process on a higher, unprivileged port and proxying is the way to do it. Look into something more powerful than nohup for running your code, though. I use daemontools at work and it's fine, but I think supervisor is a bit more reasonable to set up. You want something that will handle stdout/stderr redirection, restarting the process when it crashes, and reporting on process status.