Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I've been using Gogland (really the Go plugin in IntelliJ) a lot to write code for inclusion in Kubernetes. My main gripes are:
  • the import autocomplete is really aggressive and any attempts to refactor the import list are met with derision by the IDE as it repeatedly attempts to put back the thing I cut to the clipboard half a second prior
  • Go To functionality is pretty limited still and the terminology remains Java-specific, and it was rarely if ever able to locate the interface that something was implementing
  • tangential to the above point, it loves to complain that thing X can't be used somewhere but never explains why (unlike the compiler which clearly says what you didn't implement), which sends me on an endless adventure of finding the interface in question
  • it was completely unable to handle custom GOPATHs and after fighting it for hours I moved my project under ~/go/src/k8s.io/kubernetes to get it to stop whining about unresolved imports
  • every once in a while my project would poo poo the bed out of the blue and stop showing any project files, but that just seems to be jetbrains.txt
Despite those gripes, I'm glad I have it available, because I would've completely lost my poo poo trying to do anything meaningful in a repo as large and gnarly as Kube's in BBEdit or Vim or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU